IGNORED

Remote options

I tried to revive one of the older threads but it doesn't seem to work. Sorry for another remote topic..

**I used the search function**

I've seen that one can use a Palm, itouch, iphone & laptop. What else can one use?

I'm leaning towards the itouch but want to be sure that it's nice to use. Can you search itunes, control the computer (mini for me) and do those basic functions? Is it easy on the eyes or is everything so small it's hard to see?

What are you guys using?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I use a MacBook Air 99% of the time. The iPod Touch is really nice but does have some limitations. You can't functionally control the computer because the screen is really small. There are remote control apps like VNC for iPod Touch but I won't use it because it's a pain. You can search your library. You won't want to use the volume function without hardware that supports software control of hardware volume implementations. The Wavelength Proton and Sonic Studio Amarra solutions have this.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Interested in knowing a bit more about this ?? I'm guessing it might be a little fiddly on the ipod touch, but could be useful..............

What program is it, or are there lots ??

What app is need for the ipod touch ??

Thanks

Martin

iTunes / Media Monkey, PC, Presonus Firebox --> Mackie HR624 mkII Active Monitors, M&K VX7 mkII

Thanks Chris.

Had a quick look at that and looks like XP professional only. I need one that'll work with the standard XP, home edition i think they call it ! ?

Martin

iTunes / Media Monkey, PC, Presonus Firebox --> Mackie HR624 mkII Active Monitors, M&K VX7 mkII

I use an Apple's Remote app on an iPod Touch when listening to music, I think it works amazingly for that. While it might not let you do everything it let's me do the basics for music listening, things like picking songs, albums, artist, shuffle, etc...

Now if I need to actually do anything on the computer I do use a VNC program on my Mac (JollyVNC) or Windows PC (TightVNC) - now I don't do an awful lot on the computer since it is only used for music so I don't switch over to VNC that frequently. I've found this combo approach to be very convenient.

One reason why I don't use a VNC program full time is I often listen with the lights off/low and I find having a computer on for control the music to be distracting.

John

Looks like TightVNC could be the one to try! I'm liking the fact it's free too!

What an amazing toy the ipod touch is .....................

I think Beemb could be out buying himself one as we speak !!!

Martin

I've had a quick look at the tightVNC site. I assume the download to PC part is pretty simple, but does anyone know what / if specific software is needed on the ipod touch too ??

Perhaps your friends (or "geeks" as you put it!!) might be able to help me again, Bob ! : )

Martin

That bit is the software Chris mentioned just up the page - Mocha VNC.

It all looks really interesting, I'm getting the gen here as well! Anything that gives me a good reason to buy an iTouch! ;)

disclaimer* - No geeks were harmed during the making if this thread. Only insulted a little by the use of the word 'geek'. But they're used to it! They like it, really.

Ah i see now!! Will give it all a try tonight.............

Yeah, I've not had the iTouch long, but I'm amazed at what it can do and all the applications you can get for it! As a remote it is superb when used as John mentions up above, but I'd like to use it for others things as well.

I have iMonkey on it, but unfortunately it doesn't allow you to browse your whole library like you can when controlling itunes (you can only browse your playlists) - i'm wondering whether VNC will make the control of MM more flexible.

Go and treat yourself to an iTouch Bob!!

Martin

Chris,

You've piqued my interest yet once again!

I read this thread a while back and, now that I've been working with my own MacBook Pro/Drobo/Airport Extreme-Express/iTunes system for a few weeks since then, I do now understand why you're using a MacBook Air as your own remote controller. The ability to see the entire iTunes screen when doing such mundane tasks as editing track info notes would be a great advantage of working this way.

I do have a question about the MacBook Air specs that would be required for such a set-up. I'm using an n only wireless set-up so I presume that the MacBook Air would have to have n network capability (which I think it does as standard anyways). But other than that what would be the minimum technical specs that a MacBook Air would have to have to work in such a set-up? Would a minimally spec'd out MacBook Air be suitable for such a set-up (I'm thinking that one way to approach this would be to buy a refurbished MacBook Air to save a few dollars)?

Regards,

Mr. Wednesday

My only disappointment, and it's somewhat minor, with the Remote App for the Touch is the lack of a CoverFlow view. Otherwise it functions very well. I wonder if Apple will, at some point, put out a cheaper, $100 device that's simply a programmable universal remote.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

I use iPhone which is like iTouch I believe. Works fine and both wife and I sit on the porch drinking to excess taking turns playing our fav songs. It's a battle of the fingers as I mash Queensryche, Jeff Beck, Primus and she mashes Coldplay, Josh Grobin, Yanni!

Since it's also a phone and email for me it avoids having another remote. Even if there was one with more features it would just be another remote in the pile I fear.

If you right click on a track with iTunes 8.1 then you can add it to the iTunes DJ list. Can do the same with the iTouch. If you don't specifically add songs to the iTunes DJ list it chooses a random selection ... I guess if you want to start out with it empty then tell it to choose songs from an empty playlist might work - but I've not tried that.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.