IGNORED

First multi-channel DSD playback solution with Mytek!

Couldn't you use three stereo DACs preceded by a something like a miniDSP "nanoDIGI 2x8" acting as digital crossover? Not sure if the nanoDIGI would impart a sound signature of its own, or introduce additional jitter, though.

Also, I believe one could use different DACs, like sdolezalek proposes above, if you were using Acourate software on the server. I believe one could compensate on Acourate for the different starting times Miska refers to. Maybe you can do the same with the miniDSP software pluggin you will need for the crossover?

But I admit this is all conceptual for me. I have no first hand experience. I've been doing a fair amount of reading and discussing as I'm seriously considering a multichannel DAC, such as the e28 or Hilo, and also stacking cheaper DACs, but with the goal of getting rid of passive crossovers and driving a speaker driver directly with an amp and have the drivers time-aligned thru Acourate.

Ted, your experiment 18 months ago continues to be useful for many of us. Thanks for undertaking it, and communicating the takeaways!!

How would you get MCH digital audio into the nanoDIGI?

You are right: the nanoDIGI would work for the purpose I'm after (digital stereo in > crossovers inside the nanodIGI > limited band digital signal for each channel sent into each DAC), but not for multichannel audio where you have multiple speakers playing full-range.

Problem is that you don't know how much there is device-to-device start delay, it will be different on every start...

I believe that would be solved thru measuring the response from each speaker and adjusting inside Acourate. Similar to the above, I understand for what I'm after that can be done, and was extrapolating to a full-range multichannel situation. But maybe it doesn't work there.

For time-aligning drivers driven directly by a given amp, in turn driven by a DAC output, you measure the drivers separately, then time-align thru Acourate. Like Mitchco showed us in his Advanced Acourate writeup here.

BTW, I recall the folks at miniDSP also saying this could be handled with their software plugin as well, but I didn't do deeper as to how the measured/knew how much to adjust.