IGNORED

First multi-channel DSD playback solution with Mytek!

Hi all,

I am new to M-ch  playback, joining u guys on this rare topic. And fascinated by multiple DAC method but I have some dumb questions. Some may have been answered but it is hard to figure all this in this long thread.

Ted, thanks for sharing your fascinating experiment. Do u mind explaining how the USB hub that I presume is split into 3 separate channels? And it needs a SOtm card to drive it ? 

And is there some clocking issue even with 3 identical DACs? So word clock for all is really needed?  PS audio can do M-ch using 3 DAC but they can use I2S

can audirvana for Mac only do the same ? I know it can use with MiniDSp Dio which splits USB To 8 ch AES/Spdif though I am not sure if the internal clock of the MAc or PC would be sufficient 

Yah, I suppose the plan for Multi-DAC would be difficult. I know about the Exasound 38, just can't afford or willing to pay all that for a single  ESS sabre chip, and unbalanced output. I wish there will be a more cost effective version for DSD.   Not to mention that M-ch DSD are very expensive.

My hope is to use few of the cheaper Audio-GD  DACs that cost from $400-$800 that allows I2S signal in so you get nice native DSD.  Though the USB way is more practical I suppose

Does it sound sufficiently good with PC driving teh EXasound ? They have their own  Streamer too to match the exasound DAC

In near future I may try  using miniDSP dio8 :

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dio8

Though I am  not sure if it can clock properly if using separate DACs.

So now I will just do this:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dac8

none of these do DSD but that is all I can do for now but at least either options are cheap! Thanks to Hong Kong's tech. But no return/refund, again thanks to Hong Kong's style (I am from there!)

• 3 years later...

Hi me again, I have been trying to do Mulit-DAC doing 5.1 DSD but Coreaudio in Mac reclock it to PCM. From this thread (sorry too long to read so maybe an answer is there), I see Ted managed to do  DSD with 3 DAC. Now it appears ASIO can do native DSD and somehow connects 3 DACs. Now there is this ASIO4all - is this we should use to aggregate 3 devices ? I am not familiar with Win. Someone said Mytec no longer supports ASIO, but I am not using Mytec anyway.