IGNORED

Is Nick Drake Pink Moon Download only with vinyl release?

A FLAC High Res download/disc comes with the 2012 Pink Moon release. Does anyone know if it is/will be offered as a download? I hope this doesn't become a trend. Bowie Ziggy Stardust, Tull's Aqualung same deal: vinyl and HR disc.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, but both the Pink Moon vinyl and the hi res downloads are awesome!

I concur, just got my deluxe version, lots of fun stuff in it. As I bought it just for the 24bit FLAC download, I have the vinyl just sitting around. I so want to pick up the Aqualung boxed set at the Barnes and Nobel just down the street, but I cannot justify the $150 cost for a single HR album.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

• 5 months later...
Is Pink Moon 24/96 available anywhere or still only with vinyl purchase?

I sent an email to the people who run Nick Drake's estate, asking about the possibility of making Hi Res downloads available through HD Tracks, Qobuz or some other site, and they responded with this nice message:

I read your suggestion with interest, thank you for submitting it.

So far we have only considered hi-res downloads to coincide with our reDISCovered campaign.

We are planning a release for xmas this year and I would like to add your suggestion into this mix as I think your point is valid and so, much appreciated.

Hopefully you'll see something happen that will please you! but please do keep in touch. I imagine you are writing from America?

Yours sincerely,

Cally

[h=5]BRYTER MUSIC

The Estate Of Nick Drake

Marlinspike Hall[/h]Walpole Halesworth

[h=5]Suffolk

IP19 9AR

+ (0) 1986 784 664

Portable: + (0) 7767 406 486[/h]Webaddress: brytermusic.com

Nick Drake material is frequently used in equipment reviews.

His albums are all low budget, under the radar sessions made without enough money, studio time or gadgets to screw things up.

Film soundtracks often sound good for the same reasons.

Al J.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I wonder if it makes sense to offer Nick Drake in HD.

Are the master tapes capable of delivering much better that what is on the CD's?

Having said this, time to listen to some Nick Drake...great even in CD...

Better in HD, SACD, and maybe best on vinyl.

Better in HD, SACD, and maybe best on vinyl.

Shhh! Quiet you! You'll make me buy all of them.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

I sent an email to the people who run Nick Drake's estate, asking about the possibility of making Hi Res downloads available through HD Tracks, Qobuz or some other site, and they responded with this nice message:

I read your suggestion with interest, thank you for submitting it.

So far we have only considered hi-res downloads to coincide with our reDISCovered campaign.

We are planning a release for xmas this year and I would like to add your suggestion into this mix as I think your point is valid and so, much appreciated.

Hopefully you'll see something happen that will please you! but please do keep in touch. I imagine you are writing from America?

Yours sincerely,

Cally

BRYTER MUSIC

The Estate Of Nick Drake

Marlinspike Hall

Walpole Halesworth

Suffolk

IP19 9AR

+ (0) 1986 784 664

Portable: + (0) 7767 406 486

Webaddress: brytermusic.com

Any chance I/we can get Cally's e-mail? I would like to let him know we in the UK would appreciate this too!

Are the master tapes capable of delivering much better that what is on the CD's?

Of course they are - beautiful, simple analogue recordings! I had the privilege to be at Simon Heyworth's Super Audio Mastering when the new half inch master of the then imminent Magic compilation arrived hot of the press from John Wood. To my amazement Simon whipped it out and played it for me on his modded ATR. Fair blew my mind.

Simon has a long history of trying to get the ultimate out of the original three masters - as an HDCD proponent he regretted that the first remasters were not HDCD in the end (they were even erroneously stickered/sleeve noted)

I know he had done DSD transfers of them . My main question to Cally will be if the current hi-res is derived from that or is a new PCM transfer.

I know he had done DSD transfers of them . My main question to Cally will be if the current hi-res is derived from that or is a new PCM transfer.

If I remember the details correctly, those were transfered new from analogue tapes, except for 'Five Leaves Left' which was transfered from a digital safety copy made for a previous CD master.

I took the information off of one thread on the Hoffmann forums:

Nick Drake: Pink Moon (2012 Audiophile Virgin Vinyl) | Page 4 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

And here's the information I tagged into my/the downloaded 96/24 files:

Fives Leaves Left:

"The original tape was unusable and although there were tape

copies the best source was using a 24bit digital file made from the original tape when re-mastered for CD some 12 years ago."

Bryter Layter:

"Unfortunately the original Masters have been lost so I used my personal copy made at the time of the original mixes."

Pink Moon:

"This was cut from the original Masters."

P.S.:

at the time I got the Pink Moon Box, the download code got me access to all three albums in 96/24 ..., that was discontinued some time later, so may be that it wasn't intended at the first time ...

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

If I remember the details correctly, those were transfered new from analogue tapes, except for 'Five Leaves Left' which was transfered from a digital safety copy made for a previous CD master.

I took the information off of one thread on the Hoffmann forums:

Nick Drake: Pink Moon (2012 Audiophile Virgin Vinyl) | Page 4 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

And here's the information I tagged into my/the downloaded 96/24 files:

Fives Leaves Left:

"The original tape was unusable and although there were tape

copies the best source was using a 24bit digital file made from the original tape when re-mastered for CD some 12 years ago."

Bryter Layter:

"Unfortunately the original Masters have been lost so I used my personal copy made at the time of the original mixes."

Pink Moon:

"This was cut from the original Masters."

P.S.:

at the time I got the Pink Moon Box, the download code got me access to all three albums in 96/24 ..., that was discontinued some time later, so may be that it wasn't intended at the first time ...

The question is if there will be HD versions of this (supposelly) high quality masters, for download.

Cally's response to me:

"If we were to progress the idea we would use the new mastered versions that John Wood did at the end of 2012, not the old Nashville 5.1 sessions."

This reminded me that I think Simon Heyworth told me at the time of ''A Treasury' that they had in fact all been done for 5.1 and SACD. A crime for that to remain unreleased...

• 3 months later...

Received a mail three days ago from Bryter Music, announcing that all three Nick Drake albums are available as 24/96 downloads from Linn Records (everywhere but the USA), High Res Audio (most of Europe), iRiver (Korea) and Qobuz (France).

But I still can't find them on any of these sites.

???

Al J.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Received a mail three days ago from Bryter Music, announcing that all three Nick Drake albums are available as 24/96 downloads from Linn Records (everywhere but the USA), High Res Audio (most of Europe), iRiver (Korea) and Qobuz (France).

But I still can't find them on any of these sites.

???

Al J.

I found them on Qobuz here: Nick Drake - Télécharger et écouter les albums. But they are 44.1/16, not 96/24.

To me the downloads are excellent and definitive over the CDs I had from the Fruit Tree box. Pink Moon and Bryter Layter were mastered from the original tapes. I believe Five Leaves Left were done from a digital copy as the master were either in poor shape or lost. I cannot remember which.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

So, if I understand this correctly, these albums can be purchased in high-res everywhere in the world…EXCEPT the United States???

So, if I understand this correctly, these albums can be purchased in high-res everywhere in the world…EXCEPT the United States???

The 24/96 versions the e-mail refers don't seem to available anywhere yet. No matter where you live, USA, Europe, etc. the e-mail seems to be either wrong or the information is early and the sites don't yet have the higher resolution versions. Maybe that will change soon.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI Linn are expecting them in soon. Here's an email exchange I just had with them...

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can advise that we are expecting a few Nick Drake albums through and we would hope to have these available very soon.

Best Regards

Colin

Customer Support

Linn Products Limited

Tel: +44 (0) 141 307 7777

Fax: +44 (0) 141 644 4262

Email: [email protected]

Forums:  http://forums.linn.co.uk

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 02 December 2013 16:44

To: HelplineLinn

Subject: Message from linnrecords.com

Name: Mark Goldie

Hi.

According to Cally at BryterMusic, you guys should have some hi-rez Nick Drake albums available for download. I'm not able to find anything on your website though. Is this coming soon?

Thanks,

Mark.