IGNORED

how do i?

how do i take advantage of the hi res downloads that are available?

i currently use an ibook with ripped apple lossless cd's

wirelessly into an airport express optically linked to a beresford 7510, than analogue into my amp then to my diy audio nirvana speakers, it already sounds pretty good to my ears at least.

can the ibook cope with 96khz/24 bit files?

ditto the beresford?

as you can probably tell i'm new to this side of audio and can't help thinking i'm missing out.

i've found out that vlc media player will play flac downloads, specifically the free complition from hd trax that sounded very nice indeed although not exactly my taste in music, but i'm unsure if that's the best i can do.

i am prepared to spend some money on equipment to achieve a significant upgrade but would like to keep it realistic, say £500 ish. or perhaps a new media player software, i've seen media monkey but can't find a mac friendly version.

thanks

steve

Steve,

Your Mac can cope fine with such files, but on streaming to the Airport Express your audio is converted to Apples ALAC lossless format, so you will not get the benefit of full fat hi resolution files.

Your DAC appears to be capable of 24/96.

Try connecting your Mac directly to the DAC (ie: don't steam to the Airport Express) and then play back some files. If you can hear a difference then you know that the conversion to ALAC is limiting your listening experience.

If you don't hear a difference then well, you're all set with what you've got. Many people cannot tell the difference between ALAC and uncompressed files anyway.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

The audibility of such things is questionable, at least for most people, on most systems. The prudent path is to test, listen, and find out if it matters to you. I'd only add that if you have to go back and forth between the two examples and "listen in" to hear the difference, even if there is an audible one, it doesn't matter much. That's pretty much where I've gotten to. I was thoroughly enjoying my music collection on CDs. I have much greater access to it, and much greater flexibility with it in a computer-based system. And it sounds at least as good as good as the CDs did. I'll call that a win and not stare a gift horse in the mouth until there is a much broader choice of music available in hi res formats. Then, perhaps, I'll upgrade. And by then, I suspect, Apple will have a 24/192 Airport Express.

Tim

I confess. I\'m an audiophool.

"I'll call that a win and not stare a gift horse in the mouth until there is a much broader choice of music available in hi res formats. Then, perhaps, I'll upgrade. And by then, I suspect, Apple will have a 24/192 Airport Express."

Tim

I totally agree with you.

I stopped hi-res testing and bought some new speakers instead.

Huge improvement.

cheers

PS is that Miles D in your avatar ?

BM DAC1/HDR --> ATC SCM 100ASL[br]BM DAC1--> Genelec 8020/Beyer T70[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Stax 007T/404[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Genelec 6010A/Beyer DT1350[br]