IGNORED

KEF X300A My solution to bringing music to another room

When it became necessary to supply music to an adjoining room to where my 2ch system resides, I chose KEF's new desktop speakers which can also be used as stand alone speakers. As this brand new, hot-off the press build contains AB amplifers in the L/R speakers and a 96/24 Dac (inside the Left speaker) with gain control on the back of each and can be feed by USB male A/male mini B from a source up to 96/24 or via Airplay, wirelessly, to an Airport Express (only 44.1/16) or Bluetooth dongle (connected by analogue RCA in the aux port on back). Or by analogue cable RCA stereo 3.5 mm from another source. Each speaker requires a power cord (supplied). The Left speaker connects to the right speaker by USB male A to USB male mini B. Obviously, as they had not even shipped, I bought them not having heard what I had purchased. The other possibility was the KEF monitors the LS50 (50th Anniversary edition) but for nearly twice the cost. Of course there are many solutions to choose from. However, I have always appreciated the KEF speakers and the excellent support. Someone I know at KEF also told me the sound was excellent; and I loved having everything I needed contained in the speakers. There is also an EQ switch that allows one to select either desk or stand. There is a bass port on the back of each speaker and a two piece plug is included in case (pun aside) one chooses to use the speakers against a wall or so close to a wall or on a desktop as to create a boomy bass. I ordered stands from Sound Anchor who shipped them to me made to order in less than to weeks KEF shipped the speakers for free once they arrived in the USA. The timing was providential. For isolation purposes, I purchased square fat dots and giant fat gliders (fat as in isolation not nutritional excess) after discussing what might be best from Herbie's Audio Lab. Sound Anchors include the spikers and thin blue double sticky cushions for the stands. To protect my oak floors, I purchased discs from Sound Anchor to accommodate the spikes and save my oak floors.

As the intended room adjoins my library, I chose a 5m USB male A /male mini B from my Mac Mini into the room. As there are no USB cables other than the typical computer USB in that length (the longest I found was 10 feet from Maplewood -- thank you Jud) I purchased the 5m from C2G. They are quite sufficient for the moment or perhaps until death do us part. I preferred cable wiring and sending my entire library to those KEFs through the USB cable. It was easy to setup. The Left speaker has the power switch and a tiny green light on the Left speaker indicates power is "on". The A/B amp will power down/sleep after 25 minutes of no-signal, accept that KEF rightly indicated that sleep function when tethered to the Mac Mini by USB is defeated as there is always a signal of some sort that defeats the 25 minute-then-sleep routine. My experience that prompted a call to KEF confirms this.

After ten days of use, playing selections in all resolutions (including 192/24) in my library through the KEF X300A, I am quite taken by the SQ, the bass and mid-range. The Highs are not there yet (wherever there will be). Coherence is excellent for the speaker design. Soundstage is well-beyond what I expected. Actually, I did not know what to expect. No tiny sibilance. Drums and cymbals sound like drums and cymbals. Brass as well. Overall assessment is thank goodness they are so sound-pleasing. As I have them on stands with sufficient room to avoid having to use the plugs with or without the inner smaller plug that allows one to "regulate" the amount of damping the bass, I was quite impressed while purposefully playing several Ray Brown Trio discs, then a recently purchased Jordi Savall's Couperin disc. Jazz piano, horns, voice, in fact all genre of music are rendered quite enjoyably. Not mean as a concession to size etc. i have yet to play large orchestral recordings. Even with less than the 100 hours recommended by KEFDirect (not starting anything) before the speakers "relax" and bloom etc improves, I am already more than satisfied.

I thought to share my experience with other members who might have a need for such a speaker configuration and either know about the new KEF X300A or are researching candidates for a small self-contained system. One, I believe, will be quite pleased. But then the real test is to hear them for yourself in the room one intends to use them. For my purposes, the room is 12+ X 12+ X 8.6 with 3/4 of adjoining walls windowed and a 52 inch entrance-way opening into the library.

Happy Listening,

Richard

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Coming from another Kef'er, thanks Richard, nice review

Thank you for your kind remarks. All things considered, I am experiencing only positive results and an appreciation for an all-in-one 2ch system of excellent quality and build that is reasonable in cost and provides an SQ that highly enjoyable. Sometimes getting the music to another location and still have access to one's main music library can be a chore or a unwelcome compromise. I imagine it will only get better over time.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

As this brand new, hot-off the press build contains AB amplifers in the L/R speakers and a 96/24 Dac (inside the Left speaker) with gain control on the back of each and can be feed by USB male A/male mini B from a source up to 96/24 or via Airplay, wirelessly, to an Airport Express (only 44.1/16) or Bluetooth dongle (connected by analogue RCA in the aux port on back). Or by analogue cable RCA stereo 3.5 mm from another source. Each speaker requires a power cord (supplied). The Left speaker connects to the right speaker by USB male A to USB male mini B.

Thanks for an interesting review and pictures. I wonder if you are correct to say that there is only a DAC in the left hand speaker, as they are connected via a USB cable and the right hand speaker would need to be able to convert that signal to analog. I had assumed that the two speakers are identical and both contain amplifiers and a DAC.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Thanks for an interesting review and pictures. I wonder if you are correct to say that there is only a DAC in the left hand speaker, as they are connected via a USB cable and the right hand speaker would need to be able to convert that signal to analog. I had assumed that the two speakers are identical and both contain amplifiers and a DAC.

Per Kef's website, There is a a dedicated DAC inside each speaker

Digital Music Solutions - X300A - Technology - KEF United States

The Truth Is Out There

Per Kef's website, There is a a dedicated DAC inside each speaker

Digital Music Solutions - X300A - Technology - KEF United States

mav52 is correct. Having read the fact sheet several times, I seemed to have forgotten that there are multiple Dacs as well. Please excuse my error.

Best,

Richard

KEF-Rear.jpg

KEF X300A

Introducing the KEF X300A digital hi-fi speaker system, an active design conceived to partner a PC or Mac, desktop or laptop computer. Simply connect the speakers via a ‘distortion free’ USB all-digital link to provide high resolution 96kHz/24 bit quality digital input and inter-speaker connection to ensure high definition sound from source to output. Each speaker features twin class AB audiophile grade amplifiers inside, one for HF and one for LF/MF. Featuring high performance toroidal transformers and high quality DACs, with the X300A you don’t need to be an expert to enjoy audiophile sound quality.

System type Two-way bass reflex

Drive units Uni-Q driver array:

HF: 25mm (1in.) vented aluminium dome

LF/MF: 130mm (5.25in.) magnesium/

aluminium alloy

Frequency response

(+/- 3dB) 58Hz - 28kHz

Frequency range

(- 6dB) 49Hz - 45kHz

Max peak SPL 104dB

Amplifier type Twin Class AB

Amplifier power LF: 50W

HF: 20W

AC power input US/JP versions: 100-120 VAC, 50/60 Hz

EU/UK/China versions: 220-240 VAC, 50Hz

Analogue input AUX: 3.5mm stereo jack

Digital input

Resolution

Sampling rate USB 2.0: mini USB type B connector

Up to 24-bit

Up to 96kHz, depending on source resolution

Controls Balance control

System volume control

Internal volume 4.7 l

Finish Gunmetal

Dimension

(H x W x D) Without heatsink:

280 x 180 x 215mm (11.0 x 7.1 x 8.5 in.)

With heatsink:

280 x 180 x 243mm (11.0 x 7.1 x 9.6 in.)

Weight 7.5kg (16.5lbs) per speaker

KEF-Front.jpg

As both sites refer to The KEF Engineers designed X300A to by-pass the computers internal DAC to make use of the audiophile grade DAC in each X300A speaker!, Amplifier power at the KEF.com site contradicts the same specification at the KEFdirect.com site, specifically the following:

Specifications:

KEF.com

System type Two-way bass reflex

Drive units Uni-Q driver array:

HF: 25mm (1in.) vented aluminium dome

LF/MF: 130mm (5.25in.) magnesium/

aluminium alloy

Frequency response

(+/- 3dB) 58Hz - 28kHz

Frequency range

(- 6dB) 49Hz - 45kHz

Max peak SPL 104dB

Amplifier type Twin Class AB

Amplifier power LF: 50W

HF: 20W

AC power input US/JP versions: 100-120 VAC, 50/60 Hz

EU/UK/China versions: 220-240 VAC, 50Hz

Analogue input AUX: 3.5mm stereo jack

Digital input

Resolution

Sampling rate USB 2.0: mini USB type B connector

Up to 24-bit

Up to 96kHz, depending on source resolution

Controls Balance control

System volume control

Internal volume 4.7 l

Finish Gunmetal

Dimension

(H x W x D) Without heatsink:

280 x 180 x 215mm (11.0 x 7.1 x 8.5 in.)

With heatsink:

280 x 180 x 243mm (11.0 x 7.1 x 9.6 in.)

Weight 7.5kg (16.5lbs) per speaker

It is recommended that the X300A be used with Windows 7 and Mac OS 10.6 & above operating systems.

KEFdirect.com

• Two-way bass reflex bookshelf loudspeaker

• Drive Units: 5.25in. Uni-Q, 1in. aluminium dome HF

• Frequency Response(+/- 3db): 58Hz - 28KHz

• Frequency Range(+/- 6db): 49Hz - 45KHz

• Max SPL: 104db

• Amplifier type/class: Bi-Amped Class AB amp

• AC Power Outputs: 100-120VAC, 50/60Hz

Power Output: 150W per channel @ 1kHz

• Input Impedance: AUX 47K ohms

• Analog Input: 3.5mm stereo jack

• Digital Input: USB: Mini USB type B connector

• Controls: Balance Control, AUX Control

• Accessories: power cord x 2, USB x 2,

• Resolution: Up to 24bit

• Sampling Rate: Up to 96 kHz (depending on source resolution)

• Internal Volume: 47L

• Dimensions: 11.1 x 7.1 x 9.6 in., Weight: 16.5 lbs. each

• Finishes Available: Gun Metal

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I was wondering are both inputs active at the same time? Or do you need to unplug your Mac mini to use the 3.5 analogue input?

Reason I ask is I'm thinking of getting these for my pc with USB and to then plug a sonos connect into the analog port and I don't want to have to disconnect the USB everytime I want to stream to them via the sonos....

Cheers

Hi Richard,

I was wondering are both inputs active at the same time? Or do you need to unplug your Mac mini to use the 3.5 analogue input?

Reason I ask is I'm thinking of getting these for my pc with USB and to then plug a sonos connect into the analog port and I don't want to have to disconnect the USB everytime I want to stream to them via the sonos....

Cheers

Great question Londonguy. Truth, I do not know. However, I am friendly with one of the internet coordinators at KEFDirect.com as I am a customer. If it is OK with you, I will email him and pose, no I will call him tomorrow personally and ask him the question and then PM you through CA, unless you prefer some other channel of communication.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Cheers

Dear Londonguy,

Just completed my phone call to KEFdirect.com for a reliable answer to the great question you posed. To be accurate, I read your post so the internet coordinate person at KEF Direct understood precisely what you are asking.

His answer is as follows: For the KEF X300A, the USB connection has precedence and will override the 3.5 analog connection when both are employed at the same time. In order to stream to the Sonos you will be required to disconnect the USB cable as there is no switch or way to override the USB connection except to disconnect the cable. Furthermore, he also said that no powered speaker will allow two separate (direction connection) ports to operate at the same time meaning, i.e., USB and a RCA 3.5 analog stereo port as the circuit is only designed for one active connection at a time. Once the USB cable is removed, if the Analog cable is connected, the circuit will recognize the Analog connection. He also reminded me that if you are in fact in London or in Europe the units are not interchangeable with the US version of the KEF X300A which I believe is in the specifications re voltage requirements. That was an aside on his part, as he was just being thorough given the information I conveyed and wanted to cover even that which was not asked. This fellow is very knowledgeable and has always provided me with accurate information about KEF products.

I also asked him if there was a switch to insert between the two devices leading to the KEF X300As. But he did not know of one.

I hope this answers your concerns sufficiently. It appears for KEF powered speaker system, manual connections must be employed to use different sources using different port connections.

Good fortune with your endeavors.

TTFN,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Wow thank you very much for such a detailed answer! I thought this might be the case... Its unfortunate as these speakers look amazing. I was thinking about getting the audioengine A5+ instead but they have no DAC however both their analog inputs are active so I wouldnt need to unplug anything in order to stream to the Sonos.

Yes I am in London so I might go and listen to the kefs.. Maybe the sound will be so amazing I wont care about having to unplug the cables !!!

Richard thanks again for taking the time to find this out for me!

Cheers,

Londonguy

Thanks Richard for the review of the little KEF gem.

With the volume control of my revered Logitech Z-2300 in the bedroom wound too high and power applied, has sent the Logitechs into another place away from the earth. I like the sound of KEF speakers, and the bedroom uses an Airport Express since the distance from the Mac Mini is about 25m, well out of USB direct cabling range. Even though the Airport Express can only transmit Redbook, it's fine for what I need, and was wondering if the USB port on the Airport Express could be used to stream audio to the KEF X300A. It's just an idea, if it falls through, then there's the Analog input, which is OK.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Thanks Richard for the review of the little KEF gem.

With the volume control of my revered Logitech Z-2300 in the bedroom wound too high and power applied, has sent the Logitechs into another place away from the earth. I like the sound of KEF speakers, and the bedroom uses an Airport Express since the distance from the Mac Mini is about 25m, well out of USB direct cabling range. Even though the Airport Express can only transmit Redbook, it's fine for what I need, and was wondering if the USB port on the Airport Express could be used to stream audio to the KEF X300A. It's just an idea, if it falls through, then there's the Analog input, which is OK.

One and a half: Good news with a caveat. The following is accurate: Airport Express does work with the X300A allowing one to stream music files to the KEF X300A. The caveat is that the resolution is limited to 44.1/16 despite the 96/24 proprietary Dacs when employing the Airport Express connected to the X300As by USB. A bluetooth dongle can also be used to stream music files. I received one as a gift from KEF for placing my pre-order for the KEF X300A. I would need to confirm with the knowledgeable and very helpful internet coordinator there to be sure I am providing you with accurate information about the resolution limitations if any using bluetooth. In fact to be clear, I will confirm what the limitation in resolution may accompany use of Airport Express to stream and what limitation to stream using Bluetooth and get back to the thread. Or, of course, you can also follow by doing the same. I will in any event call again as an owner I want to be exact with what is possible according to KEF and not from a review.

I provide a link to a review at Tone Audio (if you have not already read it) that might also be of interest: KEF X300A powered speakers.

For what it may be of interest to you, I am more and more pleased with the purchase. These KEFs are a delight and deliver real enjoyment in music listening. To be continued.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Wow thank you very much for such a detailed answer! I thought this might be the case... Its unfortunate as these speakers look amazing. I was thinking about getting the audioengine A5+ instead but they have no DAC however both their analog inputs are active so I wouldnt need to unplug anything in order to stream to the Sonos.

Yes I am in London so I might go and listen to the kefs.. Maybe the sound will be so amazing I wont care about having to unplug the cables !!!

Richard thanks again for taking the time to find this out for me!

Cheers,

Londonguy

Londonguy,

You are welcome. I am glad to help out and to also become more informed about the speakers I own. It makes sense that you would prefer not to have to disconnect the USB to use the analog port. I was set to settle for having to do the same (only) if I had to. The thing is, the SQ is so good that I favor the speakers for the performance alone. The self-contained units just perform way beyond what I imagined though I know of KEF's reputation as I own three other systems and they all perform wonderfully.

I encourage you as you intimate to listen to the speakers in London and decide whether the performance overcomes your disappointment in flexible connections without having to disconnect. Simply when it sounds so good, the inconvenience of a minor step may just outweigh the imagined inconvenience. You know best. Let us know what you decide and what you experience after listening to the X300A.

Best,

Richard

As an update, I put in a telephone call to KEF Direct as well as an email to the internet coordinator I consistently talk with but for some reason have not received a call back or reply email. Something else may be going on. I inquired to be diligent about the applicability of using Airport Express and the attendant limitation in resolution to 44.1/16 as the Dacs accept up to 96/24. Additionally I inquired about using a bluetooth dongle (in my case the one supplied by KEF as a gift) and what if any the limitations to resolution using the dongle for streaming. Again, I awaiting a reply so that I can post "official" KEF Direct info re X300A performance.

Personally, I am experiencing better and better SQ with each listening session. I have already described the room dimensions where I employ these new and wonderful KEF speakers for sometimes use as 12+ X 12+ X 8.6 ft. The KEFs can certainly fill a larger room. In my circumstances, in the room I listen to the X300As are just wonderful notwithstanding they are built to a certain performance level. What that level of performance is on paper and what level performance in actual rendition may be quite a different experience. As what I am hearing is so entertaining. The music sounds marvelous. And of those who have spent time in that room listening along with me, they comment how good the music is (referring to the tracks I select, but I believe they are also commenting on how the tracks sound).

BTW: If one leaves the X300A powered on and shuts down their source, be it Mac Mini or some other, I forgot to turn off the Left speaker's power switch. In the requisite time, the green power "dot" turned red to indicate that the speakers power mode was now in stand-by mode. This would not result when I left the Mac Mini powered "on" no matter whether or not a signal was being sent to the X300As. KEF Direct was correct in their description of how the system powers into stand by mode after approximately 25 minutes.

I consider myself fortunate to have made this choice of speakers for the use(s) intended.

To be continued.

Enjoying the music,

RichardIMG_0263.jpg

Update to the update.

Just completed a conversation with the internet coordinator at kEF Direct for answers to the questions I and others have concerning KEF's new X300A. The following is what I learned, and in no particular order.

KEF suggests 100 hours before the speakers come into their own sound quality. I will not debate those who have other ideas about hours of playing versus performance as it is not an issue for me, though my experience favors performance over time improves.

The only connection (digital) that makes use of the Dac(s) in the X300A is the USB cable connection.

Connection by Airport Express or by Bluetooth dongle to analog is limited to 44.1/16 and does not make use of the internal Dac(s) in the X300A. It would seem that USB renders the best connection for the best sound quality as the Dac(s) are employed. As I write this after speaking to the coordinator at KEF, I forgot to ask him what the USB cable from the Airport Express (rather than the analog out) plugged into the USB input on the left speaker accomplishes. What was I thinking? (Not.)

There is no provision to add a .1 (as in 2.1 configuration), i.e., subwoofer to the X300A. However, in my recent listening, the bass is more than adequate and surprisingly ample. Other powered speakers, i.e., Audioengine etc. may play louder overall but do not render music with the same clarity as the KEF's new powered speakers. That, of course, can be confirmed by comparing the various powered speakers that are presently available to determine the accuracy of this assertion.

I believe that about does it for me and sharing my extreme satisfaction with CA members about the new KEF X300A. I'll let your experience reveal what truths apply for your enjoyment.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the update on the KEF interface, yes the resolution is a limitation on the Airport Express, it's not going to get any better soon, but that's OK. I see AudioEngine has a wireless 96/24 DAC which might be the ticket for remote rather than a cable through a hot roof for long distances.

For remote listening I use this method at the moment, kind of convoluted, but it has a few advantages. It may be of benefit to others.

Amarra --> DAC --> Amplifier set to DAC source --> REC Out --> Mac Mini Line Input to 44.1kHz --> Airfoil --> Airport Express --> Analog to active speaker.

The main advantage here is that Amarra or A+ can play 'natively' without Airfoil in the picture doing its own SRC. The Analog out from the amplifier is top quality with very little noise, and the Airport Express can cope with the Redbook. For casual listening, this works well. The Mac mini A/D converter can go to 96/24, but not worth it much since the Airport Express can't take advantage.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the update on the KEF interface, yes the resolution is a limitation on the Airport Express, it's not going to get any better soon, but that's OK. I see AudioEngine has a wireless 96/24 DAC which might be the ticket for remote rather than a cable through a hot roof for long distances.

For remote listening I use this method at the moment, kind of convoluted, but it has a few advantages. It may be of benefit to others.

Amarra --> DAC --> Amplifier set to DAC source --> REC Out --> Mac Mini Line Input to 44.1kHz --> Airfoil --> Airport Express --> Analog to active speaker.

The main advantage here is that Amarra or A+ can play 'natively' without Airfoil in the picture doing its own SRC. The Analog out from the amplifier is top quality with very little noise, and the Airport Express can cope with the Redbook. For casual listening, this works well. The Mac mini A/D converter can go to 96/24, but not worth it much since the Airport Express can't take advantage.

Thank you for sharing your method with us.

Apparently, KEF has specifically designed a "modest" powered speaker system equipped with AB amps and 96/24 Dacs to render music with clarity, good sound quality, excellent bass and sound stage production as long as one implements a USB connection and stays within cable range of source to speaker. Any other configuration negates the advantages of the self-contained AB amp/Dac USB dependent-design implementation.

I have the modest advantage of a direct USB connection from a near-enough Mac Mini to X300A. Still, it requires a 5m USB cable from Mac Mini to X300A (the cable is conspicuous). As you, I employ Amarra. But with my system directly to X300A's Dacs/AB amps. My iPad2 with Apple Remote App actively provides effortless selection in Amarra mode for convenient discs/tracks selection with no impediments. Experiencing momentary disappointment just now.

Clearly, a wireless transmission device capable of carrying a Hi-Res signal (minimum 96/24) to the X300A's internal Dac designed to accept the signal thus obviating a USB tethered cable would offer more romance with the system and a viable long-distance relationship with main music library.

There is no incentive for me to mess with the present arrangement. What choices do I have anyway? The raison d'être for selecting the KEF X300A was a convenient system contemplated to provide better-than-casual-listening sourced from the main music system after moving an activity from one room to another and still enjoy the same source of music which complements the activity.

Still, when I am not with the system I love, I love the system I am with.

Best,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused:

A) What's the source? If it's lossless ripped CD then how is 44.1/16 a limitation? If not CD then what is the source?

B) How does the Airport Express limit the DAC use? It has an optical digital out without D/A conversion, no?

I'm confused:

A) What's the source? If it's lossless ripped CD then how is 44.1/16 a limitation? If not CD then what is the source?

B) How does the Airport Express limit the DAC use? It has an optical digital out without D/A conversion, no?

The KEF X300A accepts 3 different connections. The information is supplied in this thread. Whatever the source if the connection used is a USB to the KEFs then the internal Dac will accept up to 96/24. Off the record, KEF Direct indicates, though not perfectly, 192 will play through.

However, if one connects to the KEFs with anything else that is not directly into the KEF's USB mini port (Male B mini) then the limitation is 44.1/16.

Now, if you asking how can that be, for a technical explanation that is beyond my competency you need to chat with someone who can explain that to your satisfaction.

My source for this information is KEF Direct. Numerous individuals who understand and/or accept that Apple's Airport Express is limited to 44.1/16 and so is Bluetooth dongle connected through the Analog port of the KEFs.

I do not want this to sound arrogant or insensitive, but it would or could or might answer your questions if (assuming you have not yet visited KEF Direct or KEF.com and read the specs. There is also an independent review and a link at the KEF website. The KEF does not accept Toslink S/PDIF. What I recommend you do is your homework, if you care to. In this way you will read first hand what the KEFs can do and what they can not do. Other brands have different options. KEF has its own options for connections, amp/Dac etc. You'll be empowered once you do and discover whether or not KEF meets your needs.

I can tell you that for my purposes as a non-main system that allows me to play my entire library, the KEFs perform very well. I do not regret purchasing them and everyone who hears them comments similarly. However, you may have certain requirements that another product will offer you where you may not feel compromised. When Apple decides to implement higher than 44/1/16 through USB to USB fine. KEF's don't take Toslink and because they have designed the system as it is, the priority is for the Dac to process USB up to 96/24 and one can not connect to two different ports simultaneously without the USB taking precedence. I am sure, no, I know there are other monitors that accept Toslink.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
The KEF X300A accepts 3 different connections. The information is supplied in this thread. Whatever the source if the connection used is a USB to the KEFs then the internal Dac will accept up to 96/24. Off the record, KEF Direct indicates, though not perfectly, 192 will play through.

However, if one connects to the KEFs with anything else that is not directly into the KEF's USB mini port (Male B mini) then the limitation is 44.1/16.

Now, if you asking how can that be, for a technical explanation that is beyond my competency you need to chat with someone who can explain that to your satisfaction.

My source for this information is KEF Direct. Numerous individuals who understand and/or accept that Apple's Airport Express is limited to 44.1/16 and so is Bluetooth dongle connected through the Analog port of the KEFs.

I do not want this to sound arrogant or insensitive, but it would or could or might answer your questions if (assuming you have not yet visited KEF Direct or KEF.com and read the specs. There is also an independent review and a link at the KEF website. The KEF does not accept Toslink S/PDIF. What I recommend you do is your homework, if you care to. In this way you will read first hand what the KEFs can do and what they can not do. Other brands have different options. KEF has its own options for connections, amp/Dac etc. You'll be empowered once you do and discover whether or not KEF meets your needs.

I can tell you that for my purposes as a non-main system that allows me to play my entire library, the KEFs perform very well. I do not regret purchasing them and everyone who hears them comments similarly. However, you may have certain requirements that another product will offer you where you may not feel compromised. When Apple decides to implement higher than 44/1/16 through USB to USB fine. KEF's don't take Toslink and because they have designed the system as it is, the priority is for the Dac to process USB up to 96/24 and one can not connect to two different ports simultaneously without the USB taking precedence. I am sure, no, I know there are other monitors that accept Toslink.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Hmm. Interesting you quoted me yet failed to answer my honest questions directly. Firstly, there are simple adapters available to convert pretty much any form or digital audio signal to any other format, including SPDIF to USB. That would get you bit-perfect into the KEFs via the Airport Express, if the source resolution is no higher than CD. Secondly, you did not say what your source is. So the questions are about your use and installation, not the design of the KEF product.

Hmm. Interesting you quoted me yet failed to answer my honest questions directly. Firstly, there are simple adapters available to convert pretty much any form or digital audio signal to any other format, including SPDIF to USB. That would get you bit-perfect into the KEFs via the Airport Express, if the source resolution is no higher than CD. Secondly, you did not say what your source is. So the questions are about your use and installation, not the design of the KEF product.

I attempted to answer your "honest questions directly". But apparently as you articulated, I failed to do so. Given the breath of this thread which I started, I thought I covered the subject matter fairly extensively. As I am not intentionally disappointing you, perhaps, you would do better to contact KEF Direct directly for answers you require that I am not providing you. Additionally, besides consulting with one of the support staff at KEF, there is a user's manual in pdf format available to download.

Again, I thought I had addressed your questions about the source, use and installation rather elaborately. I am puzzled by your response to me. Sorry to disappoint you.

Best,

Richard

AudioStream has reviewed the KEF X300A powered speakers in their latest newsletter, Audiostream Newsletter February 2013 - 2nd Edition, KEF X300A Digital Hi-Fi Speaker System | AudioStream. I find the review affirming of my review and the comments that follow fair comment. While I can accept the Dac SQ in the KEFs providing me with the choice to by-pass the internal Dac is an option I would have preferred. That is for the reason that as desktop speakers or on stands, the speakers sound so good for what they are designed to deliver that a better Dac might add to the SQ. However, having stated this, I remain very enthusiastic about my purchase and the enjoyment that follows whenever I visit my library through the KEF X300A. As Guttenberg wrote, "KEF's new X300A speakers are among the most open sounding speakers I have ever used with my computer. They're good, really good." Put them on stands give them some space from the wall, the bass improves significantly, and along with that open, neutral, coherent sound as an auxiliary system affordable with A/B amps and a sweet enough sounding Dac, I am very, very satisfied.

Best,

Richard