IGNORED

Simaudio MOON 180 MiND renderer

-The MiND Streamer must be connected to LAN if you need to stream files over 44.1kHz

I have been able to stream 24/48 and 24/96 files wirelessly over my airport network to the MiND. 24/192 was a step too far and buffers every few seconds. I will try hard wired as soon as I can work out how to get a cat6 cable to my lounge!

• 2 weeks later...
I have been able to stream 24/48 and 24/96 files wirelessly over my airport network to the MiND. 24/192 was a step too far and buffers every few seconds. I will try hard wired as soon as I can work out how to get a cat6 cable to my lounge!
I can't easily get Ethernet into my listening room, so I'm using powerline network adapters, which have improved greatly in recent years. (There are comparative reviews on the Web). I can get the MiND to stream 24/192 with no problems.

Just a small update on my drop-out problem. The problem is not with the MiND. The same thing happens with other upnp renderers. Turns out the problem disappears when I unplug the cumputer with the server software and run it on battery. Go figure.

Before i found this out i bought a linear ps to the MiND. Supposedly it should make "exeptional improvements" in sq. Haven't decided if sq is actually improved at all, but i guess it can't hurt removing the switching wall wart supply anyway.

• 3 months later...
Just a small update on my drop-out problem. The problem is not with the MiND. The same thing happens with other upnp renderers. Turns out the problem disappears when I unplug the cumputer with the server software and run it on battery. Go figure.

Before i found this out i bought a linear ps to the MiND. Supposedly it should make "exeptional improvements" in sq. Haven't decided if sq is actually improved at all, but i guess it can't hurt removing the switching wall wart supply anyway.

Also encountering drop-out problems with 24/192 FLAC files. Strangely enough, if I use my Oppo as a renderer on the same network segment, I have no problems at all. Out of curiousity which PS did you purchase? Thx.

So computer's 'dirty' supply affecting its more sensitive network card and/or other internal components.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Also encountering drop-out problems with 24/192 FLAC files. Strangely enough, if I use my Oppo as a renderer on the same network segment, I have no problems at all. Out of curiousity which PS did you purchase? Thx.

Think it's called "Best of two worlds" or something. Dutch company. Started out by selling linear power supplies for squeezeboxes. I still use it with the MiND but cannot really say it has made much of an improvement, if any, in SQ. Haven't bothered to really compare with the standard PS. I have it, it definitely doesn't make the MiND sound worse so I use it.

Btw, my drop-out problem reappeared. The problem lies with the coax inputs of the new DAC-board of the Moon i3.3 together with what seems to be a less than ideal electrical environment in my flat. Doesn't matter what I connect to it, the drop-out problem is there. Sometimes once an evening. Sometimes several times per hour. The DAC loses the signal when certain electrical events happen in the building. Only fractions of a second but very annoying. USB and optical works perfectly. I now use the MiND with a Rega DAC (coax) and there's no problems at all. Its inputs are galvanically isolated, which probably helps.

But for 24/192 to work I had to connect the Mind to the second coaxial input of the Rega. Through coax input no 1 24/192 music just stutters. Strange things these hi-fi stuff...

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

This is my first post in this forum and I'm really appreciative of the wealth of information that fellow forumers gave.

I have recently bought a Simaudio MinD renderer to replace my trusty Apple TV2 as I'm looking for a solutions to stream high res files store in my Synology DS213 (running Minim server) to my HIFI setup. So far, I'm pretty happy with what MiND can deliver in term of sound quality and stability.

My setup is as follow:

Synology D213-> Moon MiND (ethernet cable)-> Rega DAC-> Rega Brio R

However, I face the following issue which I hope someone can help me with:

1) I have no issue playing 24/96 music files thru coxial interface to my Rega DAC

2) When I tried playing 24/192 files thru the coxial interface, the music just stutter

3) Switching to toslink, I have no issue of stuttering for all resolutions of music files.

As per commented by Veovis, I tried switching between coxial 1 and 2 of the rega DAC but the stuttering problem still exist...from what I read on Rega DAC manual, it states that their coxial support 24/192.... I'm not sure what could be the problem...could it be the audioquest VDM-5 which I have bought recently for this purpose?

Spoke to my rega DAC dealer, he tells me that "Some time equipment just don't match"....not sure whether I should buy his story.

Looking forward to any helpful suggestion to solve this issue.

I bought a MiND 180 a couple of weeks back and it's exactly what I've been waiting for. A standalone network digital transport. Just so happens my amp is a Moon i3.3 so as a bonus I also benefit from the SIM-link stuff. It really sounds terrific. Much better than the Squeezebox Touch with EDO that I've been using as network transport until now. The control app for the iPad is also good, although I do miss some features of the Logitech server software.

I've also updated the internal dac of the Moon i3.3 to the new board with 24/192 asynchronous USB and must say it's the best USB implementation I've heard so far. Miles better than my V-link 192 and Hiface.

Hello Veovis,

I think that even the older internal DAC of the Moon i3.3 was beating some converters (I have personally tried V-Link 96 & SoTM 192), so I was wondering if the upgrade worth the money. As you say this is one of the best so far? I think that all of this kind of conversion, power supplies & S/PDIF cables when a "normal" USB converter is involved finally degrades the signal. Do you know if the new internal DAC has any kind of electrical isolation regarding USB?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Veovis,

I think that even the older internal DAC of the Moon i3.3 was beating some converters (I have personally tried V-Link 96 & SoTM 192), so I was wondering if the upgrade worth the money. As you say this is one of the best so far? I think that all of this kind of conversion, power supplies & S/PDIF cables when a "normal" USB converter is involved finally degrades the signal. Do you know if the new internal DAC has any kind of electrical isolation regarding USB?

The upgrade was certainly worth it for me. I never came to terms with the old card. Sounded kind of sterile and thin. The new card for the i3.3 (or 340i) sounds very good. Warm, detailed and "natural". Simaudio says only the inputs themselves have been upgraded, using a technology they call m-ajic32 or something like that... But i wouldn't be surprised if they have made other changes as well since it sounds so much nicer.

The USB of the old card only accepted 44.1 and 48 khz sample rates and worked in adaptive mode. Simaudio themselves said it was only there for convenience. The new is asynchronous and accepts up to 192 khz. It sounds terrific. And yes, i agree that the lack of a s/pdif cable in the chain may itself give it an advantage over the V-links etc.

Right now i'm using the Rega Dac with the MiND 180 and J River 19 with the internal DAC of the i3.3. Both sounds nice, but the dac of the i3.3 sounds a bit more detailed and more transparent.