IGNORED

Question for Paul Hynes linear PSU owners

With respect to PH this is a very poor excuse - when a trip to Tescos (or elsewhere) for a computer perfectly capable of providing email costs around an hour of time and maybe £500...

In this day and age you just can't run a business this way; well not if you are trying to avoid Internet criticism.

Eloise

. I think it was related to files on the pc but I'm not his spokesperson! When I do get mine in hand,will post some pics and comments.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

I have also tried to reach PH for a long time. :) I had been corresponding with him yearly, to ask if he has figured out how to make a ATX PC.. I guess it was 2 years ago he said he would look into it if he had the time.

Would be happy to join any MO if ever there was one. Am sure quite a few people here would.

• 1 month later...
Swansong, after finally getting a response from Paul's office assistant, I was told my PSU should be done sometime next month, which will make it 7 months from order date.

Mike and ejn1, I have never heard a Paul Hynes. I ordered it strictly based on Paul Hynes' reputation. So I can't say how it compares to Mojo or Core because I've never heard any of them! Paul Hynes may be in a league of his own in terms of reputation, but has anyone actually compared his SR5 or SR8 to one of the comparably priced Mojo or Core units?

As a businessman myself, I agree that one of the things you strive for is mindshare (aka reputation in the market place). But you have to back that up with a great product and great service. At this point, I can say that the post-purchase customer support from Paul Hynes Design has been atrocious! There is NO excuse for that! One man shop or not. Customer service/support is part of having your own business. If you cannot give the common courtesy of a reply to a customer who has paid you money, then you shouldn't be in business.

Once I get my Paul Hynes SR5, I will make a point to compare it to similarly priced Mojo and Core PSUs.

Any news on your PSUs arrival? I ordered my SR5-18v5 at the end of February and am doing my best to be patient... I was going to try calling next week.

My best success was by phone but its a bit easier since I'm in the UK but email has worked but not perfect and sometimes fast and sometimes not... He had his entire PC go down for ages so probably contributing to the email void. I can send you the specific Furutech model as all won't fit on the SR5 and it then requires some additional machining for Paul which he charges for but I don't want to be the one offering bespoke stuff for Paul, it should come from him! PM if you want the Furutech model and I can also send you link where I bought one. I ordered online and had it shipped directly to Paul.

Ejn1: Can you share the Furutech IEC model and link where you bought one? If my build is not yet underway I'd love to get Paul to add this...

Ejn1: Can you share the Furutech IEC model and link where you bought one? If my build is not yet underway I'd love to get Paul to add this...

Furutech FI-10... I got on Ebay.co.uk from Chord2425 and had it sent directly to Paul. You should be able to search Ebay and find it... or you can go directly to Chords website.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Any news on your PSUs arrival? I ordered my SR5-18v5 at the end of February and am doing my best to be patient... I was going to try calling next week.

Mine was ordered in November and still waiting... The latest from Paul was a July delivery...

Equipment:

I have not received mine yet. I ordered mine about the same time as Ejn1 and the last message received from Paul was the end of June or possibly first week in July.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Hi Des, Ed, GS

I will be working on two batches of SR5 next week and the week after. Your orders are in these batches. For others awaiting their orders, following this I will be working on SR7 multi-rails and SR7 power supplies and then some more SR5. Regulator module orders are being slotted in with power supply regulator batch builds where convenient so these are being progressed too. Somewhere in between this we will be taking a holiday break although I am not sure yet what is happening regarding holidays, due to Vero’s family issues.

Progress is slower than I would wish at present as I am doing all the administration work as well as building the products. Vero will not be back in the office for a while as further family issues are commanding her attention. I’m afraid her mother has just passed away and her father is in a bad way dealing with this and the chemotherapy treatment he is receiving.

Des, if you send the Furutech connector to me I will make sure it is fitted to your power supply.

Ed, I have checked my cable stores and can only find Kimber 8PR. I thought I had more Kimber but must have used it. Let me know which type you want and we can get this organised in time for your PSU build. I will be in the office on Monday morning, if you want to ring around 11am to discuss this.

Regards

Paul

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

Hi Des, Ed, GS

I will be working on two batches of SR5 next week and the week after. Your orders are in these batches. For others awaiting their orders, following this I will be working on SR7 multi-rails and SR7 power supplies and then some more SR5. Regulator module orders are being slotted in with power supply regulator batch builds where convenient so these are being progressed too. Somewhere in between this we will be taking a holiday break although I am not sure yet what is happening regarding holidays, due to Vero’s family issues.

Progress is slower than I would wish at present as I am doing all the administration work as well as building the products. Vero will not be back in the office for a while as further family issues are commanding her attention. I’m afraid her mother has just passed away and her father is in a bad way dealing with this and the chemotherapy treatment he is receiving.

Des, if you send the Furutech connector to me I will make sure it is fitted to your power supply.

Ed, I have checked my cable stores and can only find Kimber 8PR. I thought I had more Kimber but must have used it. Let me know which type you want and we can get this organised in time for your PSU build. I will be in the office on Monday morning, if you want to ring around 11am to discuss this.

Regards

Paul

HI Paul, thanks for the note and sent you a separate email regarding your question. Great to hear things are getting close!

Equipment:

Hi Des, Ed, GS

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the update. I followed Ed's lead and sent you a separate email too. Glad to hear you are close to having my order completed and I'm sorry to hear about the situation with Vero and her family.

Regards,

Gary

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Hi Des, Ed, GS

Regards

Paul

Thanks as well Paul. I appreciate your update. Sounds like you've certainly got your hands full.

I'm going to check online tomorrow to see if I can locate a Furutech connector that is in close proximity to your location ...and can be shipped for quick delivery.

I'll update you asap via a direct email.

Des

Hi Paul,

I've tried to purchase the Furutech outlet on ebay UK but am having some challenges as I have a Canadian IP address...

I'll send you an email direct to see if we can coordinate the purchase, payment, and delivery...

Des

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul

A few days ago (15 July) I emailed you requesting advice regarding the PS7-18.5v power supply I ordered in November, in particular whether the order could be amended to include an additional rail with a standard USB outlet, voltage and current (suitable for Y type USB cables)

Your forum post on 7 July indicating that you will be soon working on SR7 Power supplies and given the age of my order I assume (hope!!!!) mine is one of them. Therefore I was hoping to get you before you commenced.

If you could respond to my email it would be greatly appreciated, I have sent a number of emails in the last few months without response.

Regards

Frank

Aurender N100H> USB(Darkside Cable) > Mcintosh D1100 Digital Preamp > Darkside Cable balanced interconnect  >  Mcintosh MC302 Amp  > SpectralMH-770  Speaker Cables  >  Martin Logan Prodigys

Hello Frank,

Your build is due in this next SR7 batch but I can alter your order and add another rail. It will require a new mains transformer. The additional rail will also require another regulator module. This will add cost and set your lead time back by the time required to get the custom transformer made. Under normal circumstances transformer lead time is around 4 to 5 weeks but the manufacturer will be taking several weeks holiday shortly so expect 6 to 7 weeks for a new transformer. If you want to go ahead with this let me know and I will look into the additional cost.

Regards

Paul

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

Hi Paul

I'll stay with the existing order and look at ordering a separate power supply for the USB stage a later date when things have settled down for you.

Kind Regards

Frank

Aurender N100H> USB(Darkside Cable) > Mcintosh D1100 Digital Preamp > Darkside Cable balanced interconnect  >  Mcintosh MC302 Amp  > SpectralMH-770  Speaker Cables  >  Martin Logan Prodigys

• 1 month later...
Out of curiosity, what negative statements have you heard about Core and Mojo? Were they negative about the quality of products or service? I know Mojo got booted off CA but I haven't heard anything negative about the quality of his PS. I have a Paul Hynes on order from last Nov and I'm not happy at all with the lack of communication and how long it's taking to get my order.

There is a rather long diatribe about Mojo and Core on Audiogon. Almost a little spat. Lots of egos coming to the surface. I will try to post a link.

AudiogoN Forums: Any experience with Core Audio mac mini upgrade

I have never heard a comparison of Mojo vs Core vs Hynes, but I did hear a Mojo P/S against a stock Mac Mini supply. The results were astounding as far as definition and musical quality. I would never have suspected such a change could take place from something passing square wave pules representing ones and zeros. I thought dead people were going to wake up in graveyards saying, "Wow, listen at that!" I would have one myself but funds limit such a purchase right now and I too would like to know if there is a clear leader in this product category.

BTW, I have no personal or financial connection with Mojo. I cannot attest to the reliability of the power supply but the person I know who owns one has never complained to me about it nor has he ever reported a problem. He seems to indicate a positive experience in dealing with the company. Second hand information I know but best you can expect on a forum.

Hytek

My Hynes SR5 dual rail is now in route to me.... I look forward to hearing the impact as I've been using a $30 laptop brick since last November!

Equipment:

Hi All, just got the Hynes SR5 PS in today. I must say that I was expecting a fairly ugly black DIY box (with great engineering inside!) but it looks much better than I was anticipating. Nice work Paul! I've included a few pics below and will report later after it breaks in. FYI, this is a 2 rail SR5 with the bottom XLR outputting 12v 5a and connected to the CAPS DN2800mt board and the top XLR is a 9v 2.5a rail going straight to my SOTM card. The rear pic of the unit has a upgraded Furutec IEC inlet and although not in the pic, Paul also does a great job on the DC cables (no pic) which I upgraded with Oyaide DC connectors. Pics below.

IMG_8520.jpg

IMG_8527.jpg

Equipment:

Sweet looking unit. Dont have to hide that from wife and company. LoL

Paul is really a great guy. I would love to meet up with him one day....I like classy people.

Agree Wisnon. Would be nice to hook it up one day to a CuteHD to have a listen :)

Equipment: