IGNORED

Question for Paul Hynes linear PSU owners

Hello Vitor,

Please refrain from using the SR3 until the cause of the high operating temperature is clear.

If the SR3 is running too hot to touch it is likely either faulty or you are trying to draw too much power from the power supply. Does the SR3 run hot without your equipment connected? If so it is definitely faulty, as it should run cool without a load connected.

The SR3-09 should be good for up to 3A continuous current at an output voltage of 9v. The chassis is used as the heat sink for the regulator output stage for maximum efficiency regarding heat dissipation, and it will run quite warm at the full rating, but not enough to burn fingers. Do you know how much load current the equipment you are powering requires? If this is within the 3A rating then there may be a fault within the power supply.

If the power supply is faulty, return it to me and I will repair it for you. If within the warranty period of three years from the original receipt of the power supply regardless of whether you are the original owner or have purchased it from another customer, this will be free of charge. I can arrange to have the power supply collected if you PM me your address. If it is out of warranty I will charge you £20 plus the cost of replacement parts and shipping costs.

Regards

Paul

Paul Hynes Design

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

On 7/15/2017 at 7:55 PM, Vitor said:

Sorry to back to life such an old thread.

Thing is, I have at home an SR3-9 12V running for about one day and noticed that it runs extremely hot (I mean really, really hot) to the point where you can't touch it more than 2 seconds without burning your fingers.

I know it's usual psu's reach high temperatures, but like this?

Can someone using PH PSU'S share some thoughts?

And if so, can we leave it on 24/7? 

Thanks!

How much load you have connected to this power supply? If there is too much load to the PS, it will get hot, and if it is too hot to touch, I think you should disconnect it until you resolve the issue, you don't want it to burn.

I have four Hynes PS, they are barely warm (I do not have much load to them).

On 7/16/2017 at 3:12 PM, paulhynes said:

Hello Vitor,

Please refrain from using the SR3 until the cause of the high operating temperature is clear.

If the SR3 is running too hot to touch it is likely either faulty or you are trying to draw too much power from the power supply. Does the SR3 run hot without your equipment connected? If so it is definitely faulty, as it should run cool without a load connected.

The SR3-09 should be good for up to 3A continuous current at an output voltage of 9v. The chassis is used as the heat sink for the regulator output stage for maximum efficiency regarding heat dissipation, and it will run quite warm at the full rating, but not enough to burn fingers. Do you know how much load current the equipment you are powering requires? If this is within the 3A rating then there may be a fault within the power supply.

If the power supply is faulty, return it to me and I will repair it for you. If within the warranty period of three years from the original receipt of the power supply regardless of whether you are the original owner or have purchased it from another customer, this will be free of charge. I can arrange to have the power supply collected if you PM me your address. If it is out of warranty I will charge you £20 plus the cost of replacement parts and shipping costs.

Regards

Paul

Paul Hynes Design

Hi Paul,

Thanks for replying.

You'll be contacted regarding this particular case.

Regards,

Vitor

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

22 hours ago, sig8 said:

How much load you have connected to this power supply? If there is too much load to the PS, it will get hot, and if it is too hot to touch, I think you should disconnect it until you resolve the issue, you don't want it to burn.

I have four Hynes PS, they are barely warm (I do not have much load to them).

The PSU was connected to a SOtM SMS-200.

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

• 1 year later...

Hi im feeding a diy Paul hynes SR5 psu into a mac mini i5 at 12v,160va toroid and the PR3HD module ,i want to add some extra capacitance to it and need to know how much. i was planning to add 15 x Panasonic FC 3300uf 35V=49500uf what do you think, is this ok. 

I noticed that paul uses a capbank6 ,but i dont know what uf this is,

• 5 months later...

Good evening all.

I have 2 mint condition SR3's for sale 

• Case - black
  • Power connector: 2.1mm x 5.5mm (center +) 
  • Internal Wire - Silver
  • DC lead - Silver
  • Adjustable output voltage (12v/2.5A, 8v/1.5A and 5v/1.0A)
  • UK only and looking for offers circa £300 each.

Thanks

Paul

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A