IGNORED

Question for Paul Hynes linear PSU owners

Paul is really a great guy. I would love to meet up with him one day....I like classy people.

Couldn't agree more and I would like to shake his hand and say thanks too ;)

Tim

"Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air." - Tom Waits

Main: Custom W10/JRiver/FLAC music server | Rega DAC | Rega Brio-R | MA Bronze2

My Hynes SR5 dual rail is now in route to me.... I look forward to hearing the impact as I've been using a $30 laptop brick since last November!

Mind if I ask how much the unit cost you? I have never been able to find a price list or model listing for the Hynes supplies. His web site looks to pre-date all of his current commercial offerings.

Thanks.

Mind if I ask how much the unit cost you? I have never been able to find a price list or model listing for the Hynes supplies. His web site looks to pre-date all of his current commercial offerings.

Thanks.

Hi Superdad, I bought mine 10 months ago and Paul had a special group buy for Audiocircle members at the time which I believe expired unless Paul reinstated it. I doubt its the current price at the moment... Paul reads this thread so if you give it a few days he should chime in on pricing. I suspect though the SR5 with two rails is probably around 600GBP plus or minus a bit plus shipping and cables and any extras but better if Paul weighs in.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

I use Core Audio stuff. I can't comment on Core vs Mojo vs. anyone else, but Core's Mac mini PSU is VASTLY and obviously better then the Mac mini stock PSU. The build quaility of Core Audio products has been acceptable. It's not as polished as other gear I own and have owned, but it is fine and sounds good to me.

I also have a Red Wine battery supply around for my caps that I might get reconfigured to work with the Mac mini. That would be an interesting comparison.

Power is an incredibly important part of the signal chain. I would encourage anyone interested in upgrading any system to work on that piece, and, if you have a computer system, try one (or all) of these psu's. I'd be willing to wager the difference between stock and upgraded psu, whichever you chose, will amaze you.

Core Audio has on hand my traded in used prior version of his PSU. I get the sale price, but Ryan will sell it for whatever it's worth (I'm not sure what that is, but I gave him discretion).

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Hi Ed, looks great! I'm looking forward to getting mine. My guess it will take a few weeks or longer for delivery to the U.S.

Definitely keep us posted on how it sounds after it breaks in!

Gary

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

ejn1,

With that Paul PSU you can't feed CAPS Zuma, right?

I would think if the Red Wine can do it with 2 batteries, then the PH could. It has a 12v 5a rail (60watt) and Chris mentioned in his design that the Zuma used 22 watt steady steady state and 60watt peak. Right at the limits and you would have to be careful what you added to it. Paul can probably chime how much peak headroom the SR5 has over 60watts but seems close. Also, some of the latest intel mobile processors may be even more efficient than the one spec'd in the CAPS design.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

I would think if the Red Wine can do it with 2 batteries, then the PH could. It has a 12v 5a rail (60watt) and Chris mentioned in his design that the Zuma used 22 watt steady steady state and 60watt peak. Right at the limits and you would have to be careful what you added to it. Paul can probably chime how much peak headroom the SR5 has over 60watts but seems close. Also, some of the latest intel mobile processors may be even more efficient than the one spec'd in the CAPS design.

Seems logical to me... :)

I also found some info here about Paul Hynes PSU and his advices for Zuma:

Linear PSU Suggestions for CAPS3 Zuma - PC Based Audio & Multimedia Streaming - StereoNET Australia

Linear PSU Suggestions for CAPS3 Zuma - PC Based Audio & Multimedia Streaming - StereoNET Australia

Do you have pictures from the inside?

Rsdu. Paul is designing a special linear ps for my Zuma using two streacom chassis. Like others I place the order last November. I will post the product when it is completed. He can build any solution you wish, with patience. He has other priorities at the moment which will pay him well deserved dividends. Pm me if you want more details.

Seems logical to me... :)

I also found some info here about Paul Hynes PSU and his advices for Zuma:

Do you have pictures from the inside?

. I did not open it up but I seem to recall seeing a few pics of the inside off a single rail sr5 on the web somewhere.... Paul said its tight inside with 2 rails so wasn't about to open it up. It's been on for over 24 hours and not even warm to the touch in an open rack...

Equipment:

Rsdu. Paul is designing a special linear ps for my Zuma using two streacom chassis. Like others I place the order last November. I will post the product when it is completed. He can build any solution you wish, with patience. He has other priorities at the moment which will pay him well deserved dividends. Pm me if you want more details.
look forward to seeing it.... Is he going to use the streacom f5 to match the Zuma?

Equipment:

I don't have Zuma, but I was thinking about a possible upgrade for my Lagoon, one day...

. I did not open it up but I seem to recall seeing a few pics of the inside off a single rail sr5 on the web somewhere.... Paul said its tight inside with 2 rails so wasn't about to open it up. It's been on for over 24 hours and not even warm to the touch in an open rack...

No problem... ;)

Hi Ed,

The SR5 currently uses a 160VA custom built mains transformer and this VA rating has been split between the 12v (5A) and 9v (2.5A) rails for your application. I have just tested another supply specified the same as yours and the actual wattage rating of the 12v rail before any rectification ripple breakthrough occurs is 68W continuous. This is with the standard PR3iHD regulator module. It is possible to reduce the ripple on the regulator on-board energy storage capacitors by adding a CAPBANK6 capacitor energy storage bank to the regulator module. This will allow 120W continuous before rectifier ripple breakthrough although I would be disinclined to run at this level for more than a minute or two, as there will be additional heat build up in the power supply. I would be more inclined to use the SR7EHD for continuous high power operation.

The transient energy delivery is considerably higher than these ratings and the standard PR3iHD regulator module should deliver at least 20A (240W). With the CAPBANK6 added a 40A (480W) transient delivery should be possible without regulator dropout.

I prefer to run power supplies relatively cool as they last way, way longer than if they are run at higher temperatures. The last thing I want to see is failed product that has to be returned at great expense from overseas for repair of faults that should never happen in the first place.

Regards

Paul

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

Hi Ed,

The SR5 currently uses a 160VA custom built mains transformer and this VA rating has been split between the 12v (5A) and 9v (2.5A) rails for your application. I have just tested another supply specified the same as yours and the actual wattage rating of the 12v rail before any rectification ripple breakthrough occurs is 68W continuous. This is with the standard PR3iHD regulator module. It is possible to reduce the ripple on the regulator on-board energy storage capacitors by adding a CAPBANK6 capacitor energy storage bank to the regulator module. This will allow 120W continuous before rectifier ripple breakthrough although I would be disinclined to run at this level for more than a minute or two, as there will be additional heat build up in the power supply. I would be more inclined to use the SR7EHD for continuous high power operation.

The transient energy delivery is considerably higher than these ratings and the standard PR3iHD regulator module should deliver at least 20A (240W). With the CAPBANK6 added a 40A (480W) transient delivery should be possible without regulator dropout.

I prefer to run power supplies relatively cool as they last way, way longer than if they are run at higher temperatures. The last thing I want to see is failed product that has to be returned at great expense from overseas for repair of faults that should never happen in the first place.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul, this info will help those contemplating a Zuma build with one of your PS'

Equipment:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul

How is that batch of SR7 and SR7 multi-rails you indicated you were about to commence back in July going?

Regards

Frank

Aurender N100H> USB(Darkside Cable) > Mcintosh D1100 Digital Preamp > Darkside Cable balanced interconnect  >  Mcintosh MC302 Amp  > SpectralMH-770  Speaker Cables  >  Martin Logan Prodigys

Hi Frank,

A close family member passed away in July, which sort of threw my schedule out of the window for a while. This, and the summer holidays, means I am just finishing off the SR5 batches scheduled before the SR7 and SR7 Multirails. As Vero, my office lass is no longer working here I am also having to do all her administration work as well as my production work and this is inevitably slowing things down further too. Once the SR5s have gone out I will get on with SR7 and SR7 Multirails.

Regards

Paul

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

look forward to seeing it.... Is he going to use the streacom f5 to match the Zuma?

Unfortunately the Streacom chassis is not strong enough to support the mass of the 500va multirail main transformers. The chassis is going to be custom and unfortunately subject to VAT since he does not make this himself. That alone will be an additional $1000. When done the power supply will be equivalent to two SR7ehd multirail power supplies. Total cost estimate is £2522. The advantage would be the unit switches on at same time and one IEC inlet. After shipping cost this will be north of $4000. Speaking with Paul Pang, these full linear ATX PSU cost beyond $USD5000. When all said and done, I will post my impression.

Unfortunately the Streacom chassis is not strong enough to support the mass of the 500va multirail main transformers. The chassis is going to be custom and unfortunately subject to VAT since he does not make this himself. That alone will be an additional $1000. When done the power supply will be equivalent to two SR7ehd multirail power supplies. Total cost estimate is £2522. The advantage would be the unit switches on at same time and one IEC inlet. After shipping cost this will be north of $4000. Speaking with Paul Pang, these full linear ATX PSU cost beyond $USD5000. When all said and done, I will post my impression.

Sounds awesome... How many rails?

Equipment:

Sounds awesome... How many rails?

Paul said it so well, I will just paste his description:

This power supply is the equivalent of two SR7EHD Multirail power

supplies, each with two high current supply rails with an additional

heatsink on the back panel, and two low current supply rails, built

into one chassis and, including DC leads (2 x SR7EHD) would cost £2460 so

there is little difference with one larger chassis with 8 rails. The

whole power supply will switch on at the same time and there will be

one IEC inlet.

Kevalin, I was thinking of asking Paul what it would cost to have 1 LPS unit drive completely a 2 PC Jplay Streaming setup (each PC with its own mobo, chip, SSD, etc). Is that what you're using this awesome beast for?

Maybe you can describe for us (would be helpful) what your setup is? Chip, mobo, case, etc. I know I'd find it helpful.

Thanks.

MG555

Mike,

The unit I am designing is just for the server only (see below). The costs is only sightly more than purchasing two SR7ED, which is what the unit will have. The advantage for the single chassis, other than having one unit (which can also be a disadvantage if you wish to split the unit in the future for another use) is the unit powers up uniformly and there are no boot issues with the computer. For your setup, I believe just two SR7ED and keep the ATX switch for the motherboard (12V atx MB and 12V CPU runs off one high current supply). Another consideration is talk to Paul Pang who has another economical solution that he has designed and will start selling soon for one or both of your computers. Paul Hynes would be very receptive to any questions you have and will likely have a few good solutions.

Paul has been absolutely wonderful and very helpful in this endeavor. Although I placed my order last November, I prefer and am glad to wait until his other commitments are completed, so he is able to focus more on R&D. I do know he has been spending time transitioning to a production facility so R&D is his main focus. The work he has done with Steve Nugent has really made the Empirical Audio Overdrive dac amazing. It smokes my EMM labs DAC2x (at >1/3 less price) and there is a new version that will process DSD, however will loose volume control, which is unfortunate. The volume only makes the sound stage further away instead loosing detail. If interested head over to Another D/A Hynes reg for the Overdrive SE. This is a third upgrade in addition to the other two options published on empirical audio website.

I estimate this linear power supply will be completed sometime around the end of the year. Paul, I believe, is now working on the SR7HD orders.

Motherboard will have 4 of the 8 rails:

The 4 high current rales to be exact:

ATX 12v

5v

3v3

CPU 12V

Then peripherals (3A):

Adnaco card (Fiber optic over PCIe)

Paul Pang USB V.1 card 5V x 3A (Note: Paul recommends 3A for better sound)

SSD 5V and 3A,

External blueray drive (Addonics pocket drive -cd/dvd/blue ray read/write)

The question I am debating now is for a marginal price ($500), I can add two other peripheral rails that would add a small heat sink to the back of the unit (in addition to the large ones off to the side) for any future peripherals. I would love any thoughts here. What would you do? Have a couple of extra for good measure? Or just keep it simple.

Also to keep in mind for a custom chassis. It is large, heavy, and costly. $1000 for aluminum and maybe $1500 for stainless steel ($500 more than I quoted in a previous post, total price including chassis).

I also changed from the Zuma design: Paul Pangs Sata red cable and his SSD aluminum block. Acoustic Revive LAN isolator RLI-1. Vertere Acoustics Pulse R Double UBS Cable at 1.5m. (Case: Streacom FC5WS EVO Price: $272.00 Linkex.png Motherboard: Intel DH77EB / BOXDH77EB Price: $100.00 Linkex.png Processor: Intel Core i7 i3770S Price: $305 Linkex.png ) I suggest a better case than streacom, such as http://atechfabrication.com/products/mini_client_2500.htm.

Is it worth while to have two extra rails or not?

Sounds great kevalin.. I had been bugging Paul about this for the past 2-3 years but wasn't aware of any progress. :) I guess he finally started work on it.

Personally, I would keep it simple and exclude the peripheral rails. You can always add-on something else in the future if necessary. It's in my experience that the simpler the PC system the better so far so likely you wouldn't have to add on too many things.

I use the HFX classic casing which I find sounds better than the streacom, and also has a hole at the bottom to feed in the external PSU leads.

I had almost given up on a true linear ATX PSU.. it was almost as long a wait as thinking of an audiophile motherboard. :) Do let us know when you get yours.