IGNORED

Question for Paul Hynes linear PSU owners

Liddown,

Just curious when you ordered your SR3-12.

About a week ago... Paul was thinking 45- 60 days he could get it shipped... I am not in a rush, still breaking in the OR5 that it is going to power...

Mac Mini w/ Keces PS & Mojo PS filter, Plinius Sa-250 MkIV-S, Primaluna Dialogue 3, B&W 800 Diamond v2, W4S DAC2DSDse, EA Offramp 5 w/ Hynes PS, REL R-528, Audioquest Diamond, Columbia and Oak cables, VPI Aries with Lyra Delos, Fosgate Signature Phono Stage.

• 1 month later...

I'm probably going to go with Paul Hynes and a 4 rail for my Zuma but still waiting on my battery Red Wine Black Lightning from Vinnie. Some parts are delayed but I ordered it Dec. 30 so don't think Paul H is the only one that takes a while for quality.

In the meantime, a friend sent me this on the Keces DC-116 Regulated Power Supply from Taiwan. It does 2 units at a time at variable voltages.

keces

Anybody try it? Or any of their other products?

I was thinking if I kept the Red Wine (for the 12v Mobo on the Zuma and the 9 volt SOtM USB), this Keces might do the other two rails: the SSD and the hard drive of music.

MG555

• 1 month later...

I would email Paul directly. Be patient with his response time. I am having him design a custom linear power supply. I ordered it in early December and now he is just able to look at the design aspects. Seeing the value added Paul Hynes has to the Steve Nugent's Empirical Audio Overdrive DAC, this is worth the wait. With everything being linear, either a custom chassis would be created that is 10.5" tall x 19" wide or two Streacom FC5 cases. The custom chassis is in British Pounds $552 + 20% VAT + $35 shipping. The two Streacom FC5 cases are almost half that cost. In the end you are looking at, and I am only roughly estimating a cost of $2200-$2800 USD. He said if there was a big interest, he would do a group discount.

Regarding the specifications for the Zuma, he already has that figured out. Let him know if you are running an additional external dvd/blue-ray player and the specific voltage requirements and plug diameter and length in metric so he can create a custom cable for it.

He does make units in batches, so this may speed up the wait time, if you contact him soon.

Hope this helps.

John.

hi there,

please help me out!

what should be specs for a paul hynes linear psu that will power the i7 3370T Zuma and SOTM seperately?

thanks and all the best..

For my SOTM PCI-ex card, I asked Paul to do 9v 2a... I hope it works out!

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

thanks!

i have sent paul an email.. a brief one asking him help with a linear psu to power the motherboard and the sotm seperately.. i guess that s all i can do right now. once he responds, we can over the details of the cases and whether we can make it a group discount.. if you have a live communication line with please mention my interest..

all the best..

Just an FYI, I emailed SOtM about external power supplies, and Lee rom SOtM stated "we recommend 7Vdc ~ 7.5Vdc for external input".
Thx, And did they recommend anything for target amps or stick with max 2amps?

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

thanks!

i have sent paul an email.. a brief one asking him help with a linear psu to power the motherboard and the sotm seperately.. i guess that s all i can do right now. once he responds, we can over the details of the cases and whether we can make it a group discount.. if you have a live communication line with please mention my interest..

all the best..

This is what Paul is building for me... An SR5 with two rails. One 12v rail for the motherboard and 1 rail for the SOTM PCI-ex card. He is a super nice guy and really helpful. Truly custom though and he is just really backed up per some of the earlier comments. My order was placed in November.

Equipment:

thanks a lot for the feedback !

paul indeed has replied and seems like a very good guy. it looks like i have a project started.

yes, the waiting time is exceptionally long. but i will bear with him.. i m traveling right now. i will finalize the specs once back home and complete my order :)

I want a PS and filtering for a new Mac mini. I read so many negative statements about Core and Mojo that I would rather give Paul's stuff a look. I sent a email but no reply yet, is there anyone that knows whats needed or has had similar work done by Paul? I'm not a DYI guy can you send Paul your Mac and have the mods done?

{Newer Tech FW Raid1>MBP i7-128ssd-16gig ram>Pure Music>Pangea AG USB>JK Ciúnas converter>DH-Labs D-75>GF TubeDac-11 (Voskhod "rocket" tube)w/Pangea AC14se>Adam A7x+Sub8w/Pangea AC9's

Headphones: Hifiman HE-500//Portable:iPhone 4>Sennheiser MM 100bt}

I want a PS and filtering for a new Mac mini. I read so many negative statements about Core and Mojo that I would rather give Paul's stuff a look. I sent a email but no reply yet, is there anyone that knows whats needed or has had similar work done by Paul? I'm not a DYI guy can you send Paul your Mac and have the mods done?

Out of curiosity, what negative statements have you heard about Core and Mojo? Were they negative about the quality of products or service? I know Mojo got booted off CA but I haven't heard anything negative about the quality of his PS. I have a Paul Hynes on order from last Nov and I'm not happy at all with the lack of communication and how long it's taking to get my order.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

That's insane, thanks you for the feedback I guess me waiting 3 weeks for a email reply is nothing. I've been in communication with Ben at Mojo so I should update that earlier statement. He seems like a upfront guy that I can do business with and he's ontop of it with great communication! I'm just saving a few chips so I can do it later this summer.

Have you paid for the PH unit? When do you expect delivery? Is it for your MBP or another dedicated server?

{Newer Tech FW Raid1>MBP i7-128ssd-16gig ram>Pure Music>Pangea AG USB>JK Ciúnas converter>DH-Labs D-75>GF TubeDac-11 (Voskhod "rocket" tube)w/Pangea AC14se>Adam A7x+Sub8w/Pangea AC9's

Headphones: Hifiman HE-500//Portable:iPhone 4>Sennheiser MM 100bt}

Hynes is in a league of his own (or almost his own) when it comes to LPS, etc. Look on Audiogon and computeraudiophile for issues with Mojo and Core.

I'm about to order a unit from Paul, and yes, it may take up to a year, but you get what you pay (and wait) for. In the meantime, you can order a Tripplite LPS for the mobo (they have a lot of 12V models) and get an adapting cable, and you can use the SOtM battery supply for their board. Also, Keces may be an answer for a temp solution:

KECES DC-116

[email protected]

MG555

Hynes is in a league of his own (or almost his own) when it comes to LPS, etc. Look on Audiogon and computeraudiophile for issues with Mojo and Core.

I'm about to order a unit from Paul, and yes, it may take up to a year, but you get what you pay (and wait) for. In the meantime, you can order a Tripplite LPS for the mobo (they have a lot of 12V models) and get an adapting cable, and you can use the SOtM battery supply for their board. Also, Keces may be an answer for a temp solution:

KECES DC-116

[email protected]

Ditto... although I'm doubtful its at the year mark and this extended delay is only due to his surgery. I ordered mine in November also and hopeful I will see it by the end of May. Paul has this "guru" status for a reason! I did a lot of reading up prior to ordering and I can't recall a single person not happy with the quality of his work... which I can't say for some of the other suppliers.

Equipment:

Swansong, after finally getting a response from Paul's office assistant, I was told my PSU should be done sometime next month, which will make it 7 months from order date.

Mike and ejn1, I have never heard a Paul Hynes. I ordered it strictly based on Paul Hynes' reputation. So I can't say how it compares to Mojo or Core because I've never heard any of them! Paul Hynes may be in a league of his own in terms of reputation, but has anyone actually compared his SR5 or SR8 to one of the comparably priced Mojo or Core units?

As a businessman myself, I agree that one of the things you strive for is mindshare (aka reputation in the market place). But you have to back that up with a great product and great service. At this point, I can say that the post-purchase customer support from Paul Hynes Design has been atrocious! There is NO excuse for that! One man shop or not. Customer service/support is part of having your own business. If you cannot give the common courtesy of a reply to a customer who has paid you money, then you shouldn't be in business.

Once I get my Paul Hynes SR5, I will make a point to compare it to similarly priced Mojo and Core PSUs.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Swansong, after finally getting a response from Paul's office assistant, I was told my PSU should be done sometime next month, which will make it 7 months from order date.

Mike and ejn1, I have never heard a Paul Hynes. I ordered it strictly based on Paul Hynes' reputation. So I can't say how it compares to Mojo or Core because I've never heard any of them! Paul Hynes may be in a league of his own in terms of reputation, but has anyone actually compared his SR5 or SR8 to one of the comparably priced Mojo or Core units?

As a businessman myself, I agree that one of the things you strive for is mindshare (aka reputation in the market place). But you have to back that up with a great product and great service. At this point, I can say that the post-purchase customer support from Paul Hynes Design has been atrocious! There is NO excuse for that! One man shop or not. Customer service/support is part of having your own business. If you cannot give the common courtesy of a reply to a customer who has paid you money, then you shouldn't be in business.

Once I get my Paul Hynes SR5, I will make a point to compare it to similarly priced Mojo and Core PSUs.

Hi GS, I have not compared nor have I heard the SR5 prior to ordering... I purchased based on some of the comments I heard from Ted B, then I researched and found quite a long following for him. Not one negative about quality which says a lot in this internet day and age. My research prepared me to wait (paul by his own admission in a forum quote says he is not a marketer to paraphrase! which I'm happy for otherwise his popularity would mean an even longer wait!!!). All this was a worth while trade off for me especially given the guy just had a major surgery! Paul has been great at making several changes to my SR5 design, including adding a Furutech IEC, and custom Oyaide DC connectors and Kimber wiring. On top, I got the SR5 on his group buy from Audiocircle so for me, it will be worth the wait! I look forward to your comparisons later when you have everything in hand. I'm not try to sway you one way or the other in opinion, just sharing my story.

Equipment:

Hi GS, I have not compared nor have I heard the SR5 prior to ordering... I purchased based on some of the comments I heard from Ted B, then I researched and found quite a long following for him. Not one negative about quality which says a lot in this internet day and age. My research prepared me to wait (paul by his own admission in a forum quote says he is not a marketer to paraphrase! which I'm happy for otherwise his popularity would mean an even longer wait!!!). All this was a worth while trade off for me especially given the guy just had a major surgery! Paul has been great at making several changes to my SR5 design, including adding a Furutech IEC, and custom Oyaide DC connectors and Kimber wiring. On top, I got the SR5 on his group buy from Audiocircle so for me, it will be worth the wait! I look forward to your comparisons later when you have everything in hand. I'm not try to sway you one way or the other in opinion, just sharing my story.

Thanks for sharing your story. I also got in on the Audiocircle group buy. By the way, how did you get a response from Paul or Vero to have your changes made? I am not joking, I have had the most difficult time getting ANY response at all, let alone asking them to make changes. I would certainly like to have a Fururtech IEC added as well, if I could ever get a response. Any by the way, all of my email messages to him have been very understanding and in a very friendly tone. If you could share how you have found the best way to reach Paul or Vero for changes to the SR5, I would appreciate it.

My best success was by phone but its a bit easier since I'm in the UK but email has worked but not perfect and sometimes fast and sometimes not... He had his entire PC go down for ages so probably contributing to the email void. I can send you the specific Furutech model as all won't fit on the SR5 and it then requires some additional machining for Paul which he charges for but I don't want to be the one offering bespoke stuff for Paul, it should come from him! PM if you want the Furutech model and I can also send you link where I bought one. I ordered online and had it shipped directly to Paul.

Equipment:

My best success was by phone but its a bit easier since I'm in the UK but email has worked but not perfect and sometimes fast and sometimes not... He had his entire PC go down for ages so probably contributing to the email void. I can send you the specific Furutech model as all won't fit on the SR5 and it then requires some additional machining for Paul which he charges for but I don't want to be the one offering bespoke stuff for Paul, it should come from him! PM if you want the Furutech model and I can also send you link where I bought one. I ordered online and had it shipped directly to Paul.

Excellent, thank you! I just sent you a PM.

He had his entire PC go down for ages so probably contributing to the email void.

With respect to PH this is a very poor excuse - when a trip to Tescos (or elsewhere) for a computer perfectly capable of providing email costs around an hour of time and maybe £500...

In this day and age you just can't run a business this way; well not if you are trying to avoid Internet criticism.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.