Jump to content
Mike48

Gapless DLNA/UPnP players?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Rexp said:

Any updates as to cheap streamers that do gapless? Thanks! 

 

It probably would have been best to create your own thread, rather than revive an ancient one that was about a gapless support issue specifically regarding standard UPnP/DLNA streamers, rather streamers in general (cheap or otherwise).

 

 

Case in point - the two responses you have so far received mention streamers that are either not normally used in standard UPnP/DLNA streaming mode, or are not UPnP/DLNA streamers in the first place:

 

- Volumio, can be used as a standard UPnP/DLNA streamer (which does happen to support gapless playback), but is by default set up as an OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) streamer. OpenHome streamers have always supported gapless playback;

 

- PicorePlayer, is a Squeezelite player which uses the Squeezebox/LMS streaming technology and has nothing to do with standard UPnP/DLNA. Squeezebox type streamers have always supported gapless playback.

 

 

BTW, just in case you are interested in the actual topic of this thread, things have certainly improved to the point that there are now very few devices operating as standard UPnP/DLNA renderers that don't support the UPnP specified mechanism for implementing gapless playback.

Off the top of my head, most if not all of the standard UPnP/DLNA supporting streamers produced by both Pioneer and dCS are a notable exception.

 

Hence the likely reason why this thread hasn't seen the light of day for over 4 years, until your post came along!


We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cebolla said:

 

It probably would have been best to create your own thread, rather than revive an ancient one that was about a gapless support issue specifically regarding standard UPnP/DLNA streamers, rather streamers in general (cheap or otherwise).

 

 

Case in point - the two responses you have so far received mention streamers that are either not normally used in standard UPnP/DLNA streaming mode, or are not UPnP/DLNA streamers in the first place:

 

- Volumio, can be used as a standard UPnP/DLNA streamer (which does happen to support gapless playback), but is by default set up as an OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) streamer. OpenHome streamers have always supported gapless playback;

 

- PicorePlayer, is a Squeezelite player which uses the Squeezebox/LMS streaming technology and has nothing to do with standard UPnP/DLNA. Squeezebox type streamers have always supported gapless playback.

 

 

BTW, just in case you are interested in the actual topic of this thread, things have certainly improved to the point that there are now very few devices operating as standard UPnP/DLNA renderers that don't support the UPnP specified mechanism for implementing gapless playback.

Off the top of my head, most if not all of the standard UPnP/DLNA supporting streamers produced by both Pioneer and dCS are a notable exception.

 

Hence the likely reason why this thread hasn't seen the light of day for over 4 years, until your post came along!

Please provide some useful info by naming those that do and do not do gapless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for the record dCS network streaming devices also provide gapless replay when used with their dedicated  Mosaic controller.  However MinimServer is the only server that they officially support . Their UPnP implementation is not strictly standard so outside of Mosaic gapless cannot be guaranteed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, PAR said:

Just for the record dCS network streaming devices also provide gapless replay when used with their dedicated  Mosaic controller .

I suppose it's only fair to also mention that Pioneer streamers do play gaplessly with the dedicated Pioneer controller app / IR remote control / buttons on the device.

 

3 hours ago, PAR said:

However MinimServer is the only server that they officially support .

UPnP media servers, like MinimServer, don't get actively involved in the standard UPnP gapless playback process, which is strictly an interaction between the UPnP controller (aka control point) and the UPnP renderer. So the choice of UPnP media server is actually irrelevant as far as UPnP gapless playback support is concerned.

 

3 hours ago, PAR said:

Their UPnP implementation is not strictly standard so outside of Mosaic gapless cannot be guaranteed.

Not supporting gapless playback under standard UPnP is actually permitted, since it is not mentioned as being compulsory in the UPnP spec.


We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rexp said:

Please provide some useful info by naming those that do and do not do gapless. 

???

 

Did you actually read this bit of my post?

On 10/8/2019 at 1:48 PM, Cebolla said:

BTW, just in case you are interested in the actual topic of this thread, things have certainly improved to the point that there are now very few devices operating as standard UPnP/DLNA renderers that don't support the UPnP specified mechanism for implementing gapless playback.

Off the top of my head, most if not all of the standard UPnP/DLNA supporting streamers produced by both Pioneer and dCS are a notable exception.

 

Hence the likely reason why this thread hasn't seen the light of day for over 4 years, until your post came along!

 


We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foobar2000 with upnp component shows up as gapless when openhome renderer created in BubbleUPnP server; so does gmediarender (linux). On the other hand chromecast devices do not show up as gapless and the other portable renderers (Audiocast M5, ggmm portable speakers) also do not show up as gapless, if at all. Just my two cents worth.

 

Rmel66.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rmel66 said:

Foobar2000 with upnp component shows up as gapless when openhome renderer created in BubbleUPnP server; so does gmediarender (linux). On the other hand chromecast devices do not show up as gapless and the other portable renderers (Audiocast M5, ggmm portable speakers) also do not show up as gapless, if at all. Just my two cents worth.

 

Rmel66.

Thanks, I think the only way to get gapless with chromecast is to use roon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 12:51 AM, rmel66 said:

Foobar2000 with upnp component shows up as gapless when openhome renderer created in BubbleUPnP server; so does gmediarender (linux). On the other hand chromecast devices do not show up as gapless and the other portable renderers (Audiocast M5, ggmm portable speakers) also do not show up as gapless, if at all.

 

The BubbleUPnP Server's Gapless support option being disabled/greyed out when the OpenHome renderer is created can definitely be used as an indicator that the relevant UPnP/DLNA renderer doesn't support gapless playback under standard UPnP streaming.

 

However, the opposite is not true: if BubbleUPnP Server's Gapless support option is enabled, it isn't guaranteed that gapless playback will work since the UPnP/DLNA renderer might be either not properly implementing standard UPnP streaming's gapless playback or even falsely indicating that it supports standard UPnP streaming's gapless playback.

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/config_media_renderers.html#openhome_gapless

 

 

Of course, Chromecast devices are not UPnP/DLNA renderers anyway and the BubbleUPnP Server's functions for them exist to provide a bridge between the incompatible Google Cast and UPnP streaming technologies. Google Cast streaming is well known for not supporting gapless playback - BubbleUPnP Server doesn't even bother showing the Gapless playback option for Chromecast devices, never mind grey it out!

 

 

 

 


We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...