IGNORED

Gapless DLNA/UPnP players?

Just as a general note, though i think you have sussed it out earlier anyway.

I have a Linn Akurate DS with Kinsky, but wanted pre amp function for other connections, so went to exchange for a PWD II.

The PWD II on the CASH list does indeed sound amazing, when it works and you can get i to play music! Certainly not gapless and more than a struggle to get it to play anything through EMM, which quite frankly is a hideous piece of software.

It actually worked better with Kinsky running my Asset UPnP server than EMM, though it didn't give all functions and would only play individual tracks, no album play - but at least it made a sound, it was that bad this was a better resort! After a couple of weeks i gave up, its going back and the Linn remains in place.

The brits have it at a canter! Linn i think has nailed it the best i have seen to date as far as soft/hardware goes for streaming.

Good luck!

The new Akurate DSM has what you are looking for as far as preamp functionality.

Cheers - i did very much want the DSM, but its expensive!

If i traded in the DS, i would still have to find another £2500 extra.

Current plan is to try the Primare Pre32 with MM30 [suggested by Eloise i think on here], which fingers crossed should give me the pre amp inputs i need for Oppo & SKY audio, with decent volume control, streaming from NAS and hopefully good software!

No extra cash required, just sell the Linn :) Don't get me wrong i love it, just need inputs now i have AV & Hifi in same room not split :(

Mind you will still probably think i've saved £2500 so may as well get that Isotek Aquaris & HiFi Racks Podium XL with it....!!!

The Pre32 is a wonderful piece. What it gives up to the Linn is in the area you are sensitive to, the software. The Linn software is ahead of just about anyones right now, but as in all things digital, Primare could very well have some new app right around the corner ;). Plug Player also works fine with the Primare although not as slick as Kinsky with the Linn DS series. The Primare also does not have any HDMI inputs or outputs if that is of any concern to you. What it does have that the Linn does not, is a very good USB input so if that may be important to you down the road you may want to factor that into your decision. As an aside, the volume control works on the iPad app only when the Media board is selected. Meaning that you need to use a good old fashioned remote control when in the other inputs for volume adjustment.

Have you thought of using the new Majik DSM and turning amp section off so you can use it as a preamp?

Thanks David.....

Sounds like you have listened to the Pre32 and were quite impressed? Any particular impression on its overall sound type/style, i haven't heard any Primare kit as yet.

Have you seen the Primare App, and thats what you were comparing to Kinsky, or was it just with a generic app at the time? I fully expect that whichever way i turn the software will fall short of Linn at least in the short term - i've been spoilt!

Has anyone used the MIND software from Moon incidentally?

I could handle the volume control issues that wouldn't bother me too much. Originally i liked the functionality of having the HDMI in the Linn DSM as i was combining the two systems so it would be a nice one box set-up, however i can deal without that as i now have SKY going into HDMI Back on Oppo 103 for upscaling direct into TV - a bit awkward but it does make a difference to the SKY picture and therefore would be able to get the 2.1 Genelec audio for SKY [optical] & Oppo [co-ax] out of Oppo to Pre32 [or what was the PWD II, now returned]

Hadn't thought of the Majik DSM to be honest, i guess mainly as it was one back down from the Akurate, plus i didn't want to be paying for amplification that i wasn't using - also looking now, no XLR out for direct to active Genelecs.

I guess the Pre 32 made sense because what i was actually looking for was pre-amp control for multiple inputs, but to include 24/192 streaming, so it ticked all the boxes. The PWD II was a DAC that happened to have Pre functions rather than the other way round. The new Naim Pre offers the same as the Primare but no XLR.

Anyone know of a Pre with streaming capabilities out, or due out soon to catch up with Primare/Naim, but will have XLR outs? Seems Primare is alone for now, there must be others coming....!!??

Cheers