IGNORED

Gapless DLNA/UPnP players?

I have a Linn Akurate DS with Kinsky, but wanted pre amp function for other connections, so went to exchange for a PWD II.

The brits have it at a canter! Linn i think has nailed it the best i have seen to date as far as soft/hardware goes for streaming.

Good luck!

I have to agree with that. Marantz and Pioneer are catching up with the software end though and once they do it will be a terrific lower cost alternative.

The new Akurate DSM has what you are looking for as far as preamp functionality.

David

Cheers - i did very much want the DSM, but its expensive!

If i traded in the DS, i would still have to find another £2500 extra.

Current plan is to try the Primare Pre32 with MM30 [suggested by Eloise i think on here], which fingers crossed should give me the pre amp inputs i need for Oppo & SKY audio, with decent volume control, streaming from NAS and hopefully good software!

No extra cash required, just sell the Linn :) Don't get me wrong i love it, just need inputs now i have AV & Hifi in same room not split :(

Mind you will still probably think i've saved £2500 so may as well get that Isotek Aquaris & HiFi Racks Podium XL with it....!!!

The Pre32 is a wonderful piece. What it gives up to the Linn is in the area you are sensitive to, the software. The Linn software is ahead of just about anyones right now, but as in all things digital, Primare could very well have some new app right around the corner ;). Plug Player also works fine with the Primare although not as slick as Kinsky with the Linn DS series. The Primare also does not have any HDMI inputs or outputs if that is of any concern to you. What it does have that the Linn does not, is a very good USB input so if that may be important to you down the road you may want to factor that into your decision. As an aside, the volume control works on the iPad app only when the Media board is selected. Meaning that you need to use a good old fashioned remote control when in the other inputs for volume adjustment.

Have you thought of using the new Majik DSM and turning amp section off so you can use it as a preamp?

David

Thanks David.....

Any particular impression on its overall sound type/style, i haven't heard any Primare kit as yet.

Cheers

Gorgeous. Natural, detailed, wide open.

One of the best systems I ever heard included a Primare Pre/Pro in the loop and it was an AMAZINGLY beautiful sounding system. The Pre32 follows that tradition admirably. If it has the functionality you are looking for I wouldn't hesitate to give it a strong recommendation.

David

Thanks. If you still want to try the PWD, try UPnPlay as a control point. I find it better featured than Kinsky. I would also recommend MinimServer, but the current version has trouble with special characters in music filenames. We are waiting for a fix from the author.

Is that a control point for iPad? I don't see it in the App Store. Or is it software for the computer side of he chain?

David