IGNORED

Gapless DLNA/UPnP players?

Yamaha I can't remember.

Eloise

The Yamaha can do gapless, but with a few caveats...

Files need to be playable in WMP and WMP acting the uPNP source. So that's WAV, and MP3 & AIFF (?). That's it. IIRC, the sample rate was restricted to 96/24. New models may have changed, the spec is about 12 months old.

Network streamers still have a long way to go. Apart form the sound and gapless play, searching and cataloging is tedious from network players (based on experience with Oppo BD95, Sony AVR), so computers have this wrapped up by a wide margin.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Re: Yamaha: An approach that depends on a specific player is not ideal. There are MANY audio players out there, with WMP and iTunes being at the bottom of the heap as to configurability, etc. (but convenient for the newbie). To be tied to one particular program, especially WMP, would be a bad bargain.

I'm not sure what to make of your comment about cataloging, etc. I am using J.River MC on a computer to manage and catalog my music files, and it is quite powerful and easy. It searches exceptionally well, and it's a good player for my office system, with a USB-connected DAC.

Cataloging, not the right word, sorry, but just a simple search for a network players, the Oppo BD-95, is a prime example has a long way to go. If you wanted to only play, 'Tom Sawyer' from Rush, from a NAS, it would take about 5 minutes of painfully scrolling through the alphabet A-R folder, then Rush at the bottom, then the album....snore, what tedium.

Imagine an app like Jriver on a Network Player, now you're talking, but fanciful. As for cataloging or indexing say 40,000 songs, with even a simple database system, is the realm of Linux, yes a computer.

A lot better approach would be a device that's controlled by a computer which streams music across a network to a DAC, hmmm perhaps a Network Audio Adapter ;) catchy title!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA