IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

• 1 month later...

Just pulled out probably the greatest rock concert of all time, Neil Diamond's Hot August Night (40th Anniversary 24/44 remaster) for a listen.

I haven't heard this album for quite a while simply because it did not rock quite as well as it should with my previous system cabled with the Oyaide  Continental 5S usb.

With my recent change to the Shunyata alpha usb, I ventured to dive once more into this album.

Wow! All I can say is that my system now rocks as all get out. Pace and rhythm are top notch and Neil's energetic vocals was a reach out and touch  experience throughout the entire utterly electric performance.

The Shunyata alpha usb is truly a cable for all genres and seasons!

Cheers! Jon. 

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

• 4 weeks later...

I would most certainly remove it too if it isn't synergistic with my system. :)

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

Was the SR cable fully burned in? If not, you might give a honest tryout, at least 300 playing hours. 15 minutes for any cable, even one burned in on another system, but not used for awhile, is simply not serious. I got the more expensive Curious USB earlier this year and found it inferior to both the Callisto and Wywires Diamond, the latter being my choice.

23 minutes ago, highstream said:

I got the more expensive Curious USB earlier this year and found it inferior to both the Callisto and Wywires Diamond, the latter being my choice.

Some prefer the original Curious cable to the newer and more expensive Evolved.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 11:42 AM, audiobomber said:

Some prefer the original Curious cable to the newer and more expensive Evolved.

FWIW, in my system I found the Curious Evolved to be a definite upgrade from the original Curious USB cable which it replaced. The original Curious USB cable was a noticeable improvement over the Light Harmonic Lightspeed USB cable in my system, notwithstanding that the latter was very considerably more expensive.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

18 minutes ago, Allan F said:

FWIW, in my system I found the Curious Evolved to be a definite upgrade from the original Curious USB cable which it replaced. The original Curious USB cable was a noticeable improvement over the Light Harmonic Lightspeed USB cable in my system, notwithstanding that the latter was very considerably more expensive.

Not surprised ... depends on what your system was lacking or needing to hide.

Price does matter but not beyond what a good cable that does not mess up more.

Cables are imho only for final eq after you finalised the components and 20% of the total cost of your system would be max that I will invest in cables, including powercords, dc cords, digital cables, interconnects and speaker cables .. simply no sense to put more into cables than components.

You will not see heapsnof 10k powercord or 5k interconnects in recording studio that create the very music that your system is trying to playback as near as possible to what the studio mixed.

Cheers.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall 👍👍👏👏

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

6 hours ago, iLguapo said:

What makes the new Curious cable “evolved?

FWIW, the following is offered by the cable's designer, Rob Woodland:

The new Curious Evolved USB cable takes the original design principles and pushes them further. The work wasn't so much on the data lines (which I'm really happy with) but on the ground system. And at this point, I believe the most important decision you make in designing a USB cable is how you use the ground wire/s. There is a special relationship between data lines and ground. One of those things where "art" is just as important as "science". 

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

I expect USB to eventually be abandoned for a solution such as Ethernet packet to DAC

I totally agree, this has to be the future. And it has to be optical SFP+. 

That said, if USB can be transferred optically, or actually any digital audio signal, we may have a something.

As discussed here:

Let’s hope something will appear one day. 

I doubt Ethernet will be used for audio between DACs and sources. Why? USB has way more than enough bandwidth for music. I work on scientific instruments and we need control, data, etc. and most still use USB. Some do use ethernet but that is for more information exchange and control.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

I've tried a bunch of mid priced usb cables in my system, all with different degrees of success, so I could never say which one I like the best. i do have one that may be worth a try. HAPA AUDIO is  a fairly new company that just released  their first usb cable, the EMBER, that they are sending around on a tour to anyone who wishes to try it out for free. It looks very interesting and is not terribly expensive. I have no affiliation with any company. I just thought it's worth a try for free.

15 hours ago, cab33 said:

I like to use the same brand cables in my system that the musicians used during the recording session

So do you only listen to bands the record in that one studio or do you change all your cables depending on where the music  was recorded at ? Or how does that works?

9 minutes ago, iLguapo said:

So do you only listen to bands the record in that one studio or do you change all your cables depending on where the music  was recorded at ? Or how does that works?

Believe cab means using neutral sounding pro audio cabling like mogami, canare etc. used in recording. They do not used 5k powercords or 10k interconnects.

Cheers.

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

https://trptk.com/studio/

Furutech is an important partner not only inside, but also outside of the studio bubble, by supplying us with power supplies, cables and accessories.

Thanks to their Daytona 313E power filter and e-TP609E NCF power distributors, the risk of wobbly power grids and its accompanying noise in a recording environment such as a church is close to zero.

Same goes for their cables. Furutech has custom-made a set of microphone cables to the exact specifications of TRPTK, with connectors made out of exotic materials such as rhodium and carbon fiber. It’s safe to say these cables are one of a kind and among the best in the world.

Speaking of cables, the NCF Boosters are some of the most important tools in the TRPTK toolkit. These boosters lift cables off the floor to minimise the risk of electromagnetic interference. This, combined with their revolutionary NCF Technology makes sure we can record at extreme quality levels without being hindered by any surroundings.

9 minutes ago, Calvin & Hobbes said:

I like the Stordiau Lush as a decently priced USB cable that sounds both smooth and detailed. I compared it to:

• Belkin Gold
  • Pangea Premier SE
  • Shunyata Venom

The Shunyata was good, but the Stordiau was both smooth in sound as well as being more resolving.

Which of the three Lush types did you try and in which configuration?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)