Jump to content
IGNORED

USB cable comparisons


Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Kimo said:

Finally broke down and spent a little cash on a usb cable, the Black Cat Digit. 

 

Thanks for sharing. How much is the Black Cat? One reference point to compare would be the Sablon 2020 USB.

Did you by chance compare these?

Thanks

 

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

 

Link to comment
46 minutes ago, matthias said:

 

Thanks for sharing. How much is the Black Cat? One reference point to compare would be the Sablon 2020 USB.

Did you by chance compare these?

Thanks

 

Matt

 

Black Cat retails for 799.00 per 1 meter.  I have not heard the Sablon.  

 

I generally try to avoid chasing higher end cables, but a few people suggested the Black Cat with the Innuos, so I broke down and picked one up.  I use Supra, Grimm, and Belden in the rest of the system.   

Link to comment

And I thought we had pretty much determined that the lush2 was the greatest USB cable ever and Cody’s less than $300! 
 

Why do we torture ourselves?😎😎😎😎😎

 

That’s what makes audiophiles awesome folks we never can make up our collective minds and always willing to pay a bit more for the right to hear the difference!

 

Don’t fret I’m in the same boat!!

SteVe's V's

 

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Link to comment
2 hours ago, matthias said:

 

Thanks for sharing. How much is the Black Cat? One reference point to compare would be the Sablon 2020 USB.

Did you by chance compare these?

Thanks

 

Matt

Black cat Digit is around $750.00.  The interesting thing about this cable, to me, is that it uses an unconventional geometry, with two coax cables for the data pair (which is a little similar to what the Nordost Valhalla 2 USB does), and then a weave of fine wires around that for the ground and +5 VDC lines.  This design is still impedance controlled and meets the USB spec for impedance.  I am interested in unconventional designs, because there could be an advantage in their technical differences (rather than just throwing some "special" wire in a typical geometry USB cable and calling it revolutionary).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

                                                                                           SONORE computer audio

Link to comment
33 minutes ago, barrows said:

Black cat Digit is around $750.00.  The interesting thing about this cable, to me, is that it uses an unconventional geometry, with two coax cables for the data pair (which is a little similar to what the Nordost Valhalla 2 USB does), and then a weave of fine wires around that for the ground and +5 VDC lines.  This design is still impedance controlled and meets the USB spec for impedance.  I am interested in unconventional designs, because there could be an advantage in their technical differences (rather than just throwing some "special" wire in a typical geometry USB cable and calling it revolutionary).

 

It is for sure a very interesting cable, however as always the proof is in the listening in comparison to similar priced cables.

 

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, matthias said:

 

It is for sure a very interesting cable, however as always the proof is in the listening in comparison to similar priced cables.

 

Matt

I agree, but, being one who values technical information and the verification of truly superior performance vs. just a "preference" based solely on subjective testing, when it comes to USB cables the means exist to verify their performance objectively through a combination of high resolution eye pattern testing of the data pair, and spectral analysis of the all the wires for noise transmission.  A dual coax construction has the possible advantage of both better shielding of the data pair, and better signal integrity due to both the better shielding and the potential for a more symmetric relationship between the two conductors.

 

This cable has actual construction which could lead to better performance, rather than relying on nonsense such as "hammered wires like a Katana sword" or silver gold alloy conductors, which have no real technical benefit.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

                                                                                           SONORE computer audio

Link to comment

I’m ordering a Lust2 (I mean Lush2) I want to Drive myself crazy with the shield and grounding possibilities. 
 

if you’ve not examined and perused the Lush2 thread at this site you may want to check it out. 

SteVe's V's

 

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, sgr said:

I’m ordering a Lust2 (I mean Lush2) I want to Drive myself crazy with the shield and grounding possibilities. 
 

if you’ve not examined and perused the Lush2 thread at this site you may want to check it out. 

 

Be careful not to lose your sanity. Maybe you need the rest of your lifetime to check all possibilities. 😜

 

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

 

Link to comment
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 4:09 PM, CheapSplurge said:

Got a bargain deal on a curious cable incoming, is the thing pretty good as far as more clarity and resolution? Using it with a chord dac. 

Additionally would a uptone regen make it ever better?

 

 

IMO and experience, I would expect the answer to both questions to be "Yes".

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

 

Link to comment

Hi,

 

Was reading up on fta callisto and this lush2 ....

 

I have the oyaide Continental 5S v2, zonotone shupreme, furutech pro2 gt and gave away the oyaide neo that I felt was not in the same league as the 3 mentioned.

 

Anyone here has these 3 to share how the callisto and lush2 compares ?

 

Many thanks in advance.

 

Cheers.

 

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

 

Link to comment
16 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

.......and gave away the oyaide neo that I felt was not in the same league as the 3 mentioned.

 

Richard,

which of the three Oyaide Neos did you try?

Thanks

 

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, matthias said:

 

Richard,

which of the three Oyaide Neos did you try?

Thanks

 

Matt

 

Hi Matt,

 

It was the OYAIDE Elec d+ USB class S rev.2 0.7m that I found with low resolution and dull.

 

I find the oyaide continental 5s v2 the best and using now from the Antipodes ex to the Terminator+.

 

Cheers.

 

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

 

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

I just purchased a used exaSound streamer and DAC that included a Curious Cable. I compared the Curious to the Oyaide neo d+ Class A in my headphone system (sMS-200 Neo, USB cable, Audiolab 8200CD DAC, Yorkville Studio One XLR cable, Hafler HA15 amp, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphones). This system is highly resolving, cable changes have been significant and meaningful. Not with the Curious and Oyaide though, differences were virtually imperceptible. No way I could tell them apart in a blind test. The wallet would know though, since the Oyaide costs about 1/6 the price.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. Crown XLi 1500 powering AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers. Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. Furutech and Audio Sensibility ethernet cables, Cardas Neutral Ref analogue cables. iFi Audio AC iPurifer, iFi Supanova, Furman PF-15i & PST-8, power conditioners.

 

Link to comment
24 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I just purchased a used exaSound streamer and DAC that included a Curious Cable. I compared the Curious to the Oyaide neo d+ Class A in my headphone system (sMS-200 Neo, USB cable, Audiolab 8200CD DAC, Yorkville Studio One XLR cable, Hafler HA15 amp, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphones). This system is highly resolving, cable changes have been significant and meaningful. Not with the Curious and Oyaide though, differences were virtually imperceptible. No way I could tell them apart in a blind test. The wallet would know though, since the Oyaide costs about 1/6 the price.

I suspect the eXasound DAC and transport may be the reason you do not hear any difference in these cables: the eXasound DACs do not use normal USB 2 audio data transfer protocols, instead using bulk mode, this mode of data transfer may be less sensitive to small variations in cable performance.  To be clear, I am not saying the above IS the case, just that it is a possibility, which might be worth testing by comparing these cables with a different DAC which uses standard USB 2 audio interfacing.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

                                                                                           SONORE computer audio

Link to comment
1 minute ago, barrows said:

I suspect the eXasound DAC and transport may be the reason you do not hear any difference in these cables: the eXasound DACs do not use normal USB 2 audio data transfer protocols, instead using bulk mode, this mode of data transfer may be less sensitive to small variations in cable performance.  To be clear, I am not saying the above IS the case, just that it is a possibility, which might be worth testing by comparing these cables with a different DAC which uses standard USB 2 audio interfacing.

I didn't use the exaSound components, they are in my main system. I used my headphone system (details shown in the previous post). 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. Crown XLi 1500 powering AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers. Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. Furutech and Audio Sensibility ethernet cables, Cardas Neutral Ref analogue cables. iFi Audio AC iPurifer, iFi Supanova, Furman PF-15i & PST-8, power conditioners.

 

Link to comment

Ghent Audio USB cables get a lot of favourable mentions in this thread, and it is interesting because of the variety of configurations. I have a dual head Ghent, which is useful for separating the power and signal for my laptop and Raspberry Pi, which have crap USB power. The Oyaide (and Curious) have better SQ though. The Ghent misses a bit of impact compared to the other two. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. Crown XLi 1500 powering AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers. Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. Furutech and Audio Sensibility ethernet cables, Cardas Neutral Ref analogue cables. iFi Audio AC iPurifer, iFi Supanova, Furman PF-15i & PST-8, power conditioners.

 

Link to comment
  • 8 months later...
On 2/14/2020 at 7:40 PM, Sal1950 said:

Sorry but the truth has to come to light on occasion.

The popularity of cable snake oil has made a laughing stock of the audiophile community.

A lie repeated often enough still doesn't make it true.

 

 

People who are critically and carefully and repeatedly listening to high end audio equipment can hear that there are differences in cables of all kinds. It takes at least an entry level high end audio system and lots listening to favorite songs. It's then that one can notice the subtle nuances and differences.

 

Expensive is not best and many cheaper cables sound quite good.

 

If you are not sweating to hear every detail in your audio system then, yes, any cable will do.

 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, xyzzy1 said:

 

People who are critically and carefully and repeatedly listening to high end audio equipment can hear that there are differences in cables of all kinds. It takes at least an entry level high end audio system and lots listening to favorite songs. It's then that one can notice the subtle nuances and differences.

 

Expensive is not best and many cheaper cables sound quite good.

 

If you are not sweating to hear every detail in your audio system then, yes, any cable will do.

 

 

The better the combination of components in an audio system, the less difference in the "sound" of the cables can be perceived. Conversely, in a random set of poorly matched components, the difference in the "sound" of the cables may be more noticeable.

Link to comment

Totally disagree. You have no idea what you are talking about. You need to give this issue a rest as it seems to be gnawing at you to no end, just to prove your point which is simply wrong at so many levels. 

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...