reverendo

USB cable comparisons

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Alex won't be allowed to talk about his non scientific appeals to authority in the Objective-Fi area. 

He wasn't included in the group of people who endlessly harass subjectivists when they plead to be respectfully ignored. 

Agreed, and a good bit of fun!

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Alex won't be allowed to talk about his non scientific appeals to authority in the Objective-Fi area. 

He wasn't included in the group of people who endlessly harass subjectivists when they plead to be respectfully ignored. 

Are you seriously saying Alex isn't part of the "people who can't have a civil conversation" group?

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

Are you seriously saying Alex isn't part of the "people who can't have a civil conversation" group?

He is much more humorous than you .,. you need a better stand up routine ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

7 hours ago, manueljenkin said:

Thank you. I was torn up if I should get the higher length one assuming velocity factor*length plays any serious role, but I guess the factors are well over that (they may still have a role albeit minor). I think I'll try to import the chord silverwire (also thinking of the other cable someone recommended here, forgot its name).

The bass difference is super easy to spot in my headphone since it's quite a tactile system and changing the cable removed the tactility altogether. The treble is hard to describe but yeah it's kinda lighter the way you say, but I also feel a tizz in my system when the music has any high passed content (which means 90% of the music I listen 👹).

I altered my testing a bit so that I can compare on the fly.  I compared the AP files played through Sony using Belden 1694a and Apogee Wyde Eye coaxial cables with the USB output from the Innuos.  This way I can instantly switch between sources.  First I compared the files with the Belkin Gold, and everything sounded very similar, though the Belkin was stronger in the bass.  I then substituted the Supra for the Belkin and compared the files again.  

No doubt about it, the Supra is the brightest of the bunch, and I am not really sure it is any cleaner or more detailed.  Just brighter, though not really too harsh, at least through the Raal tweeters in the monitors.

I think I am going to stick with the Belkin Gold for USB, and the Belden 1694a for coaxial.  Apparently, I am becoming anti-audiophile cable, but not because they don't sound different.  

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

What the supposedly scientific crowd can't seem to handle, is that the length of the cable is relevant because the change in sound may be caused by some parasitic characteristic of that link which is variable per the length - it's part of, "sometimes things aren't as simple as you would like them to be" nature of the real world ...

Some rudimentary calculations.

For a 500MHz wave the pulse duration is about 2ns. For a 1meter cable with velocity factor 1, the time delay is about 3.33ns which is over 1.6x the clock cycle. This will start to compound over higher distances or different velocity factor.

Considering USB protocol is not bi directional, and the fact that the slave does have to communicate back certain things (I've seen this in wireshark), it's not out if possibility things could have an impact. After all, the cpu jitter also adds up (think in terms of the things that gave way to spectre and meltdown).

19 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'd like to point out the only headbutting I've had with subjective folk, in a decent 1/2 year or so, has mainly been in threads I've created. Some other in threads they didn't create.

From my POV, and I'm only speaking for myself, I'm not harassing by wanting to have a technical discussion.  I'm not harassing by asking for some de-biased evaluation.

I haven't jumped into USB cable threads, Power Cable threads etc...

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

I'd like to point out the only headbutting I've had with subjective folk, in a decent 1/2 year or so, has mainly been in threads I've created. Some other in threads they didn't create.

From my POV, and I'm only speaking for myself, I'm not harassing by wanting to have a technical discussion.  I'm not harassing by asking for some de-biased evaluation.

I haven't jumped into USB cable threads, Power Cable threads etc...

I'd say it isn't possible to be an offender in one's own thread. The OP owns the space for all intents and purposes. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings