IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

On 6/8/2018 at 2:06 PM, Blake said:

The 2G is actually fairly close to the 10G in terms of performance.  I owned both at the same time and compared them side to side (I think I may have even written a comparison in this thread a while back, or another thread here on CA).  They have a similar "house sound" namely, very detailed and transparent.  I am listening to the 2G now as I write this, at work. 

Mapleshade is in the same sonic camp as the 2G/10G.  Mapleshade is still a great value and I prefer it to many higher priced usb cables I bought and sold (so many I lost track over the years- yikes).   

Perhaps a rough analogy is, 2G/Mapleshade- digital sounding in a good way (clean, detailed).  TotalDac D1/Curious: more analog sounding in a good way (organic but still detailed).  I probably should not have sold my TotalDac.   Another option is the Uptone USPCB, which is a short hard adapter if your physical setup allows.  I am using that in my home system at the moment.  One of these days I need to go back and do some head to head comparisons against the usb cables in my audio closet and pick the winner and sell the losers.

I ended up trying the Sablon Audio Panatela Reserva usb cable (powered version) and Panatela ethernet cable.  This combo is absolutely better than my prior usb cables (Lightspeed 10G, TotalDac D1, Mapleshade, Curious, Nordost Blue Heaven, Uptone USPCB, Cardas, various Audioquest, iFi split, King Rex split, etc.), and Blue Jeans Cat 6a ethernet.  

The types of sonic differences are similar to those when I added an improved LPS to my MicroRendu and then UltraRendu, or going from my MacBook Pro with usb tweaks to a MicroRendu.  With this combo (as compared to Curious+Blue Jeans) I am getting significant increases in clarity/transparency without any negative aspects.  Bucket loads of natural detail, a massive, well-sorted sound stage, very realistic tone.  No artificial brightness or exaggerated frequencies. 

Going from memory, I would say the magnitude of sonic improvement from switching from the Curious + Blue Jeans combo to the Sablon combo is similar to, or greater than moving from MicroRendu to UltraRendu or Uptone LPS 1 to LPS 1.2.    So yeah, I bought the Sablon combo, but I knew I was going to buy them after listening to just one song. 

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1 hour ago, Blake said:

I ended up trying the Sablon Audio Panatela Reserva usb cable (powered version) and Panatela ethernet cable.  This combo is absolutely better than my prior usb cables (Lightspeed 10G, TotalDac D1, Mapleshade, Curious, Nordost Blue Heaven, Uptone USPCB, Cardas, various Audioquest, iFi split, King Rex split, etc.), and Blue Jeans Cat 6a ethernet.  

The types of sonic differences are similar to those when I added an improved LPS to my MicroRendu and then UltraRendu, or going from my MacBook Pro with usb tweaks to a MicroRendu.  With this combo (as compared to Curious+Blue Jeans) I am getting significant increases in clarity/transparency without any negative aspects.  Bucket loads of natural detail, a massive, well-sorted sound stage, very realistic tone.  No artificial brightness or exaggerated frequencies. 

Going from memory, I would say the magnitude of sonic improvement from switching from the Curious + Blue Jeans combo to the Sablon combo is similar to, or greater than moving from MicroRendu to UltraRendu or Uptone LPS 1 to LPS 1.2.    So yeah, I bought the Sablon combo, but I knew I was going to buy them after listening to just one song. 

Glad you're enjoying this combo.

17 hours ago, Blake said:

Just wonder if anyone has compared the new Intona Reference or Ultimate USB cable with these other USB cables.

Recently had the chance to listen to the Curious USB cable and compared it to the Lightspeed. please take into account that preferences vary and that different cables will have different results in different system. nonetheless, it was a huge difference and I must say that the Curious sounds broken compared to the Lightspeed 10G. with the 10G there was more focus, speed, resolution, bandwidth and clarity. It was slightly less dense, but in a way that I would attribute to a lack of definition and resolution on part of the Curious cable. I went back and forth several times and the differences were not subtle. I can imagine the Curious cable helping systems that are overly bright and adding a little bit of "warmth" in the lower mids, but at the expense of the items I mentioned above.

as always, YMMV.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

4 hours ago, reverendo said:

Recently had the chance to listen to the Curious USB cable and compared it to the Lightspeed. please take into account that preferences vary and that different cables will have different results in different system. nonetheless, it was a huge difference and I must say that the Curious sounds broken compared to the Lightspeed 10G. with the 10G there was more focus, speed, resolution, bandwidth and clarity. It was slightly less dense, but in a way that I would attribute to a lack of definition and resolution on part of the Curious cable. I went back and forth several times and the differences were not subtle. I can imagine the Curious cable helping systems that are overly bright and adding a little bit of "warmth" in the lower mids, but at the expense of the items I mentioned above.

as always, YMMV.

Thanks for this comparison!  I have never heard the top level LightSpeed, maybe I should...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

11 hours ago, reverendo said:

as always, YMMV.

Exactly my impressions of the Curious. Highly euphonic, roll off over 10K and below 80hz. YMMV etc etc.

i am interested I hearing the Lush and the new Mad Scientist USB, but concerned that these consciously out of spec cables just give euphonics and (sometimes complimentary) affectations.

12 hours ago, barrows said:

Thanks for this comparison!  I have never heard the top level LightSpeed, maybe I should...

It used to be their top-level USB cable until the 20G, which I don't know myself. 

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

15 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Exactly my impressions of the Curious. Highly euphonic, roll off over 10K and below 80hz. YMMV etc etc.

i am interested I hearing the Lush and the new Mad Scientist USB, but concerned that these consciously out of spec cables just give euphonics and (sometimes complimentary) affectations.

I would suggest that if you find the Curious to be too rolled of and/or euphonic sounding, the LUSH will not be for you.  I find the LUSH to be much less incisive/transparent than the Curious.

While I could see the LUSH working in those systems that are too "digital" sounding, I found it too rounded and lacking in low level details in my system.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 7/25/2018 at 5:58 AM, reverendo said:

Curious sounds broken compared to the Lightspeed 10G. with the 10G there was more focus, speed, resolution, bandwidth and clarity.

I enjoyed my Lightspeed 10G and my 2G quite a bit, and you are totally on point on system synergy.  These are recommended cables in my book as the 10G/2G worked great in my systems. 

However, if you ever get the itch to try something new then I suggest you give Sablon a shot (they have a return policy).  I think it is has even more focus, speed, resolution and clarity than the 10G and is overall a much better cable with no caveats or qualifications, but ymmv.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1 hour ago, Blake said:

I enjoyed my Lightspeed 10G and my 2G quite a bit, and you are totally on point on system synergy.  These are recommended cables in my book as the 10G/2G worked great in my systems. 

However, if you ever get the itch to try something new then I suggest you give Sablon a shot (they have a return policy).  I think it is has even more focus, speed, resolution and clarity than the 10G and is overall a much better cable with no caveats or qualifications, but ymmv.

Thanks, Blake. What's the price on the one you would recommend and how long is the return policy?

2 minutes ago, reverendo said:

Thanks, Blake. What's the price on the one you would recommend and how long is the return policy?

Hi,

Return Policy: 28 days from shipping

Model:  They have the Reserva model in powered ($500) and un-powered versions ($400).  My Berkeley Alpha requires a powered version so I have the powered Reserva.

They also offer an "Elite" version of the Reserva for an additional $250, but if you need a powered version you need to check with Mark first to check compatibility. 

You can also start with the Reserva and send it back and Mark will modify it to an Elite version at a later date.  I may send mine back eventually, but I who knows, I am so happy with the Reserva I may never do it.  For sure, one of my best ever audio purchases.

http://sablonaudio.com/index.php/signal

7 minutes ago, Blake said:

Hi,

Return Policy: 28 days from shipping

Model:  They have the Reserva model in powered ($500) and un-powered versions ($400).  My Berkeley Alpha requires a powered version so I have the powered Reserva.

They also offer an "Elite" version of the Reserva for an additional $250, but if you need a powered version you need to check with Mark first to check compatibility. 

You can also start with the Reserva and send it back and Mark will modify it to an Elite version at a later date.  I may send mine back eventually, but I who knows, I am so happy with the Reserva I may never do it.  For sure, one of my best ever audio purchases.

http://sablonaudio.com/index.php/signal

wow, that's practically half the price of the 10G. I'm sorting through some other upgrades now (loudspeakers, DAC and transport), but will take a look at it when I'm ready. I'll also see if thecableco has a demo of these.

thanks. ?

On 7/25/2018 at 4:58 AM, reverendo said:

I must say that the Curious sounds broken compared to the Lightspeed 10G. with the 10G there was more focus, speed, resolution, bandwidth and clarity. It was slightly less dense, but in a way that I would attribute to a lack of definition and resolution on part of the Curious cable. I went back and forth several times and the differences were not subtle. I can imagine the Curious cable helping systems that are overly bright and adding a little bit of "warmth" in the lower mids, but at the expense of the items I mentioned above.

as always, YMMV.

Interesting. I had the Lightspeed 10G in my system some time ago and am currently using the Curious USB cable as my reference. My experience/opinion is very different from yours. I found the Lightspeed to be overly analytical and "thin" sounding compared to the Curious. In my system, I find that timbre of instruments is noticeably more accurate with the Curious as well.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

If you transfer a Word or Excel file over these different USB cables do you get different results?  LOLOLOL

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

55 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Interesting. I had the Lightspeed 10G in my system some time ago and am currently using the Curious USB cable as my reference. My experience/opinion is very different from yours. I found the Lightspeed to be overly analytical and "thin" sounding compared to the Curious. In my system, I find that timbre of instruments is noticeably more accurate with the Curious as well.

I had the same experience, first with the Curious, now with the Lush (9 moths in my system).

Different systems... different taste.  And no, my system is not 'digitalis'... 

I've been pursuing an SQ that allows me long, musical and enjoyable listening sessions. I am not interested in more details than a musical instrument, or human voices, can provide. Pristine hf, deep bass up to 16hZ, with correct midrange.

Roch

34 minutes ago, elcorso said:

I had the same experience, first with the Curious, now with the Lush (9 moths in my system).

I've been pursuing an SQ that allows me long, musical and enjoyable listening sessions. I am not interested in more details than a musical instrument, or human voices, can provide. Pristine hf, deep bass up to 16hZ, with correct midrange.

Roch

hello Roch

wich one sounds more musical to you? lush or curious?

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

I think that on a certain level we might be describing two different sides of the same coin, just with different results, maybe because of systems and preference.

I definitely agree that the Curious was "thicker" sounding, or, conversely, the 10G was "thinner". Speed can also be interpreted into the "analytical" camp, depending again on system and/or preference.

I tested the cables in a friend's system, which was all tubes and horns (Kronzilla, Lampizator GG, Horns Universum), so that might help explain my impressions. Maybe I should test it in mine, which is definitely more "analytical" in nature by comparison, but where the 10G still was the overall best fit of the several cables I tested here.

One thing that I just can't explain, and maybe due to my understanding of how hearing and sound works, is that wide and, above all, correct bandwidth reproduction is what creates the "correct" sound of especially timbre, but also tone and texture. After all, it's all harmonics. So resolution and bandwidth should result in passing on whatever the transport is sending. The closer to that goal, the more truthful the system will reproduce the source material and I really want to get to know what that is and then judge it based on that. And it is in that sense that I think that the Curious falls short. Again, YMMV.

BTW, Allan, thanks for sharing your experience.

50 minutes ago, elcorso said:

Roch

Just saw your post, Roch. Had written without seeing it, but I think it also applies to your impressions. Thanks for the input.

1 hour ago, elcorso said:

Roch

Roch

With the Luxman DA-06 DAC, I also preferred the Lush USB cable to the Curious. However, with my current T+A DAC 8 DSD, I prefer the Curious. Both are very good cables and offer excellent value.

I share your views regarding what I am listening for.

Allan

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron