IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

I recently set up an Innuos Zenith server and am running it into a Linnenberg Telemann DAC.  Currently, I am using a Belkin Gold USB cable, but am considering an upgrade to an Audioquest Carbon.

Is the Carbon worth adding?  I have only heard the Belkin in system.

4 minutes ago, xyzzy1 said:

You don’t mention the rest of your system and honestly, you need an audio system built from components that fall into the high-end category to readily discern differences between cables. I assume you already have a fixation on music where it is a primary activity for you like most audiophiles if you are looking to improve your music reproduction and enjoyment. 

Rest of the system includes Alta Audio FRM speakers and eventually likely will also include the Linnenberg Widor.  DAC and amp at purported 21 bits of SNR is pretty state of art, so difference should be relatively easy to discern.  My ears and room may be more of a limitation, than the equipment.  

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

IF different USB cables are really changing the sound then you need a better DAC

Optical is the way to go.

I don't know.

I just installed a Supra USB cable between the Innuos and the Satie, and noticed the same thing.  As compared with the Belkin Gold USB, the Supra sounds cleaner, but doesn't have the same weight in the bass.  I am not sure that I would call it brighter, but certainly it sounds lighter, or maybe even a bit whiter.   

There is less grit, but more detail.

I can't tell you which one is better, though I am guessing the Supra is doing something better, since vocals are a little easier to understand.  

I am pretty sure the DAC designer is a bigger fan of AES and coaxial, than USB.  The Sony Blu Ray player pretty much sounds the same through 1 meter of Apogee Wyde Eye and 1.5 meters of Belden 1694 into the Satie, and always a little darker than the Innuos, no matter what USB I have tried.

4 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Chris, Like every other issue there are two sides to every story.

We don't sensor the MQA threads where people have been continually debating the issues for a number of years now.  Why are we to consider any cable threads off limits to opposing views?  This is more akin to a religious thread that refuses to allow any science based information to upset the believers. when the basic science runs in direct contradiction to subjective believes

What does this say to you?

"Conclusion:

No evidence in these tests to suggest that the different USB cables used here with the asynchronous CM6631A USB-to-SPDIF converter, direct asynchronous TEAC UD-501 USB DAC, or adaptive isochronous USB setups should sound different (even though one would expect Cable C to be the worst). Subjectively, listening to music with Cable C through Sennheiser HD800's sounded fine. 

No evidence with the J-Test to suggest data-correlated jitter is significantly different between cables. By the way, for a good demonstration of how jitter improves with interface/cable change, look at my post on Transporter-to-Behringer connection with TosLink vs. AES/EBU. Also, remember that my Oppo BDP-105 tests were done with a single 15' USB cable - still better than Cable C in construction :-). "

It says, "No evidence that the different cables used here should sound different," which has nothing to do with saying every USB sounds identical.

1 minute ago, manueljenkin said:

Quick question. What is the length of the cable. If it is a small cable (0.7m or 1m like the one I have), would it be possible for you to try the 2m variant or longer? (I can't since I had to import the cable I have).

I ran into few interesting blogs, one of which is here: https://www.febo.com/reference/cable_data.html

It is a 2 meter cable.  I will say that the differences are more noticeable on some material than others.

For example, on my Aqua Velvets Nomad ripped CD, the Supra and the Belkin sound very close, but on my Alan Parsons high resolution download they sound more noticeably different, especially in the bass.  The Belkin simply provides more thump.  Anyone on this board would spot it.

I think that your description was spot on, though I think as the Supra as maybe whiter, as opposed to brighter.  I wouldn't necessarily call it harsher in my system.

And from what I have read online, tin plated copper seems to have a sound that has been described as something akin to what you and I noted.  There is a beguiling aspect to it.

• 4 months later...
46 minutes ago, matthias said:

Thanks for sharing. How much is the Black Cat? One reference point to compare would be the Sablon 2020 USB.

Did you by chance compare these?

Thanks

Matt

Black Cat retails for 799.00 per 1 meter.  I have not heard the Sablon.  

I generally try to avoid chasing higher end cables, but a few people suggested the Black Cat with the Innuos, so I broke down and picked one up.  I use Supra, Grimm, and Belden in the rest of the system.