IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

"I am currently looking for a USB cable that will fit my system, so I'm not looking for "THE BEST" cable, but the one that will work the best according to my ears."

Please, someone, tell the how a cable carrying ones and zeros can affect the sound. Do some cables introduce read errors that force the DAC into interpolation? I don't think so. They wouldn't be much good as conductors if they did that. So, tell me, what is the mechanism that could possibly make a difference to the sound coming out of a D/A Converter, if they are all bit-perfect (and they are)?

George - This thread ain't for you.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guys - I just ran into a really weird issue that was caused by a USB cable.

The complete story involves a lot of time troubleshooting, so I will just give you the final conclusion.

With the cable connected to my iMac and nothing connected to the other end of the cable (or a DAC connected to the cable) The Transparent Audio - Hardwired USB cable causes my iMac to detect an overcurrent and shut down the USB ports.

IMG_1323.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Few things : There's a cable fault between the +5V and any of the other conductors inside the cable (squashed enough to cause insulation damage), the connections have shorted, or Transparent have put their resistor in the wrong place.

when you remove the cable and replace it with another one, the fault vanishes?

Replaced with another cable and everything works perfect.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, firedog said:

Sal, the site had gotten to the point where people who want to compare cables or anything else based on their listening couldn't do it without the thread being taken over by people telling them how ignorant and foolish they are. I don't think there is an issue of censorship here. There is an issue of letting people discuss what they want without them  having to defend themselves.

People should be able to have a subjective thread like this one. Do you really think people who are serious hobbyists and who post here have never been exposed to the arguments you are making? I can assure you they have. And they've rejected them.

Doesn't matter why. Doesn't matter if they are wrong. They have their approach to the hobby and have a right to discuss it without OT and condescending posts (in their context) constantly interrupting their discussion. They don't need and aren't asking for the type of input you are offering. You may think you are offering them truth and enlightenment. What you are doing in actuality is interrupting their discussion and trying to turn it into something else or even end it. In effect, it's the ultimate rudeness. Even if that isn't the intent.

Is there some reason you can't just ignore the thread? Is the world just not able to function without your input on this topic? And more to the point, do you really think anything is being accomplished by your posts? I don't. I don't think anyone is being educated or informed about the topic in a way they weren't before.

If the thread really bothers you, then start a thread called "why usb cable comparisons are nonsense" instead of posting here. I'd say it would even be okay if you simply post a link to your opposing thread here and then leave it at that.  You can quote posts from here and rebut them all you want at the opposing thread.

And it the subjectivists come and start making OT subjectivist posts at your thread I'd tell them the same thing.

Thank you for saving me all the keystrokes. Perfectly said. 

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

Are you seriously expecting Alex to use the new area?

Alex won't be allowed to talk about his non scientific appeals to authority in the Objective-Fi area. 

He wasn't included in the group of people who endlessly harass subjectivists when they plead to be respectfully ignored. 

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

I'd like to point out the only headbutting I've had with subjective folk, in a decent 1/2 year or so, has mainly been in threads I've created. Some other in threads they didn't create.

From my POV, and I'm only speaking for myself, I'm not harassing by wanting to have a technical discussion.  I'm not harassing by asking for some de-biased evaluation.

I haven't jumped into USB cable threads, Power Cable threads etc...

I'd say it isn't possible to be an offender in one's own thread. The OP owns the space for all intents and purposes. 

• 1 year later...
Just now, sgr said:

I’ve never understood why those that don’t think cables sound different (or any other component) have to react negatively to what others at least believe they hear. 

Nor do I understand why the believers have to try to persuade unbelievers. 

And why insisting on coming to a forum and interrupt others’ conversations when the discussion does not pertain to belief or unbelief. 

Now if the topic is”Do cables make a difference in a system?” Then that’s open to all.

I’ve read about many things I scratch m head and wonder about. But I’m never going to tell someone they don’t hear what they say they do. 

I agree 100%