IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

I think they generally like their stuff to burn in with music, but power cords and conditioners in particular I don't know (and why would they need to when they're not carrying musical signals?).

Maybe because when playing music the current is not steady and constant, and will vary between music peaks and low passages, as in an Amp. for example.

"Cable burners" works this way: Sending heavy pulses, then low and steady pulses, more heavy pulses, and so on.

Roch

The Mapleshade folks very specifically ask that their cables not be burned in with "cable burners" but with music. So I guess they must feel there's a difference, but I wouldn't know what it is.

Because this "burners" are a BS...

The specs says they work as in real life, but the true is other...

Snake oil is the worst thing in this industry, I learned this the expensive way!

Roch

• 1 month later...
Sorry to be a cynic here, but if a 2M length of power cable makes such a huge difference after many KM of plain vanilla copper transmission lines,

and distribution transformers , then it suggests that the power supply area of the amplifier or whatever,could do with a lot of further improvement.

Even care with separation between power leads and interconnects can make a world of difference, as can ensuring that all mains plugs and sockets

are properly maintained.

Alex

Cynical? Rather realistic...!

Roch

• 4 months later...
Was considering the QED Graphite or Supra as i'm not convinced on spending mega bucks on a USB cable, in that review how did they do?

Since I know HiFi Critic testing are made by DBT...

The problem is each computer (or music server) and DAC (or USB interface) are very different at the USB end. Then it could be very hard to establish the 'correct' USB cable length and construction for the 'best' SQ. And the 'bets' SQ for who? For your (musical) taste, or of those on the DBT?

Please don't fool yourself, to choose the right USB cable please make the comparison with your gear. There are DACs very sensitive to USB cables and others that don't. An other very important thing, there is no USB cable in this world that can change completely the sonic signature (or SQ) of a DAC. Changes are, most of the time, very subtle.

Good luck,

Roch

• 7 months later...
USB and Other Digital Cables Round Up

When it’s time to buy a USB or other digital cable, what’s the first thing to do? Well, you’re likely to turn to the audiophile mags and internet sources for reviews and opinions. Info is out there but scattered about, so here is a round up that doesn’t pretend to be comprehensive from some recent sources to assist you.

This round up is divided into USB cables and other digital cables sections.

A convenient source of good choices are the “Recommended Components” and “Editors’ Choice” type lists. This round up also takes note of the digital cables that audio reviewers say they are using in their own audio systems with the belief that we can extrapolate from that. For example, Stereophile reviewers typically list digital cables in an associated equipment section if they were used as part of an equipment review.

Notice that some cables are mentioned often. This is probably a good clue wouldn’t you think?

USB CABLES

Price List of USB Cables in this Round Up

Audioquest Carbon (0.75m $129; 1.5m $169)

Audioquest Coffee (0.75m $279; 1.5m $349)

Audioquest Diamond (0.75m $549; 1.5m $695)

Audioquest Forest (0.75m $35; 1.5m $39)

Belkin Gold Series (1m $15)

Cardas Clear (1m $168)

DH Labs Silver Sonic USB (1m $70; 1.5m $80)

Light Harmonic Lightspeed (1.6m $1399)

Pranawire Photon (0.6m $995; 1.2m $1295)

Purist Audio Design Ultimate (1m $995)

Straightwire USB-Link USB cable (1m, $50; 1.5m, $60)

Synergistic Research USB Active SE Cable w/ Enigma Tuning Circuits (1m $595)

Transparent Audio Performance (1m $95)

Wireworld Platinum Starlight (1m $599)

Wireworld Silver Starlight (1m $275)

Wywires Litespd (1.5m $799)

USB Cable Recommendations

Stereophile online 2013 Recommended Components:

Audioquest Forest

Transparent Audio Performance

The Absolute Sound (TAS) 2014 High-End Audio Buyer’s Guide, Issue 237:

Audioquest Carbon

Audioquest Diamond

Audioquest Forest

Belkin Gold Series

Straightwire USB-Link

Wireworld Platinum Starlight

Wireworld Silver Starlight

The Absolute Sound 2013 Editors’ Choice Awards, Issue 241, March 2014:

Audioquest Carbon

Audioquest Diamond

Belkin Gold Series

Wireworld Silver Starlight

In Audiostream online there is a review of three cables titled “USB Cable Shootout” by Steven Plaskin on April 22, 2013:

Audioquest Diamond

Synergistic Research USB Active SE Cable with Enigma Tuning Circuits

USB cables that Plaskin uses in his own high end system are: Audioquest Diamond and Light Harmonic LightSpeed. Steven also promises that “In the future, all of my DAC reviews will include my choice of the preferred sounding USB cable. Hopefully, this will offer a starting point for our readers to explore what is possible with their particular DAC.”

Audioquest Diamond and Synergistic Research USB Active SE cables were deemed the best sounding match with the Benchmark DAC2 HGC under review by Steven Plaskin in Audiostream online on December 4, 2013.

Audioquest Coffee and Belkin Gold USB cables were used by Stereophile editor John Atkinson as associated equipment in a recent DAC review. Source: Stereophile, March 2014, Vol. 37, No. 3.

Audioquest Diamond USB cable review in TAS March 2012 by editor Robert Harley. This is his reference cable.

Audioquest Diamond and Cardas Clear USB cables were used by Jon Iverson as associated equipment in a recent DAC review. Source: Stereophile, March 2014, Vol. 37, No. 3.

Audioquest Diamond and Wireworld Sliver Starlight USB cables were used by Chris Connaker as associated equipment in recent reviews on 1/29/2014.

Cardas Clear and DH Labs Silver Sonic USB cables were used by Erick Lichte as associated equipment in a DAC review. Source: Stereophile, February 2014, Vol. 37, No. 2.

DH Labs Silver Sonic USB cable won a Goodsound/SoundStage! 2012 Great Buy Award. Reviewed by Hans Wetzel on January 1, 2012.

DH Labs Silver Sonic USB cable was reviewed favorably by Tom Gibbs in Positive Feedback, Issue 59, Jan/Feb 2012 edition.

Light Harmonic LightSpeed and Synergistic Research USB Active SE cables were deemed the best sounding match with the Bricasti Design M1 DAC under review by Steven Plaskin in Audiostream online on January 20, 2014.

Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB cable was used in the Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC review in Audiostream online by Michael Lavorgna on February 24, 2014.

Pranawire Photon USB cable won a Positive Feedback 2013 Brutus Award from editor David Robinson. He stated that this is his new reference standard.

Purist Audio Design Ultimate, Wywires Litespd, and Light Harmonic Lightspeed USB cables won Positive Feedback 2013 Brutus Awards from editor Dave Clark.

Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable won a TAS 2012 Golden Ear Award from Alan Taffel in the Sept. 2012 issue.

OTHER DIGITAL CABLES

Price List

Analysis Plus Digital Oval 75 Ohm (1m $190)

Canare DigiFlex Gold model RCAPOO3F 75 ohm (3ft $19)

DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 AES/EBU (1m $99)

Kimber D-60 75 ohm (.5m $228; 1m $390)

Kimber Orchid AES/EBU (1m $695)

Kubala-Sosna Expression (1m S775)

Ocellia Reference Cable (1m $1027)

Stereovox HDVX coaxial (1m $100 in yr. 2004)

Straightwire Info-Link AES/EBU or coaxial (1m $220; 1.5m $280)

Transparent XL Reference Digital Link (75 Ohm $3195; 110 Ohm $3595)

Other Digital Cables Recommendations

Stereophile online 2013 Recommended Components:

Analysis Plus Digital Oval

Canare DigiFlex Gold model RCAPOO3F 75 ohm

DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 AES/EBU

Kimber Orchid AES/EBU

Kubala-Sosna Expression

DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 AES/EBU digital cable was used by Stereophile editor John Atkinson as associated equipment in a DAC review. Source: Stereophile March 2014, Vol. 37, No. 3.

DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 AES/EBU digital cable and Stereovox HDVX coaxial cable were used by Erick Lichte as associated equipment in a Benchmark DAC2 HGC review. Source: Stereophile, February 2014, Vol. 37, No. 2.

Kimber D-60 digital cable (75 ohm). Audio Advisor states that this was a Stereophile recommended cable in 1996.

Ocellia Reference Cables digital cable (1m $1027) won a 6Moons.com Blue Moon Award in September 2012.

Stereovox HDVX Coaxial Digital Cable was reviewed favorably in Enjoy the Music.com in January 2004 by Todd Warnke. This site has several other cable reviews.

Straightwire Info-Link AES/EBU or Coaxial Digital Cable in The Absolute Sound 2014 High-End Audio Buyer’s Guide (other digital cables) Source: Issue 237.

Transparent XL Reference Digital Link (75 Ohm; 110 Ohm) in TAS Editor's Choice Awards 2014. Reviewed by Jacob Heilbrunn in TAS January 2014, Issue 239.

Out of your list is one of the best (to my ears/brain system):

Acoustic Revive [uSB-1.0SPS] Dual conduit 1 meter. Price vary depending on the source ($480 - 590)

It was the very first dual conduit. I find this cable the more musical and neutral (no excessive "detail" added) between a lot, but had not tried all.

[uSB-1.0SPS] [uSB-1.0PLS] | ACOUSTIC REVIVE

Roch

• 4 weeks later...
Here's the thing I don't get about dual conduit: Given the fact that the two conduits are merged at the transmitting end (eg, the DAC) anyway, what's the point? It's all going to get mashed together anyway, right?

Yes, but not at the cable FULL length...

Roch

• 5 months later...
Looking at the six USB cable/filter reviews linked at the TotalDac site, one thing that stands out to me is how, unless I missed it, not one speaks to tonality/timbre (starting with warm, dry, in-between, aka neutral). The only mention by one is that it's on the dark side of things, vs. the Lightspeed (which I know well and have qualms about in my system). Do you have anything to offer on that score? And did you find 10 days sufficient for burnin?

Btw, Vincent uses FedEx shipping to the US, which is 45E, roughly $60. Renders the return policy effectively meaningless, since both directions together one might as well sell it on the used market.

I have to agree with Adam (Elberoth), this Total DAC USB cable is the best in my system and to my ears, and I tried a lot. Even on my DACs to supposed be immune to USB cables...!

Regarding the tonality/timbre I believe this cable doesn't have any, then neutral, the rest of the system will give you the tonality/timbre.

Only the music reaching your ears/brain system, but I'm very impressed on some recordings where I thought the noise came from the recording, but no, after the Total DAC filter removal of the noise from other sources...!

Highly recommended also !

Roch

PS/ Mine has only 24 hours of listening, I can imagine the SQ after the full burn in...!

• 2 years later...
FWIW, I had the WW Platinum Starlight 7 for a long time, but much prefer the Curious which, IMO, is superior in bringing out the timbre of instruments. For example. the natural warmth and resonance of acoustic string instruments like the guitar is reproduced better, resulting in a more natural sound. I also find the Curious to be more musical in my system.

+1

I own also the TotalDac.

Roch

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Interesting. I had the Lightspeed 10G in my system some time ago and am currently using the Curious USB cable as my reference. My experience/opinion is very different from yours. I found the Lightspeed to be overly analytical and "thin" sounding compared to the Curious. In my system, I find that timbre of instruments is noticeably more accurate with the Curious as well.

I had the same experience, first with the Curious, now with the Lush (9 moths in my system).

Different systems... different taste.  And no, my system is not 'digitalis'... 

I've been pursuing an SQ that allows me long, musical and enjoyable listening sessions. I am not interested in more details than a musical instrument, or human voices, can provide. Pristine hf, deep bass up to 16hZ, with correct midrange.

Roch

R, L & C for the transmission of electrical signals.

R, S & C (Rice,  Seafood & Condiments) to make a Paella. In what proportion, cooking times, etc.? In the end we will always have Paella, but all with different flavor. Some will like some and others like other.

If we go to medicines, where technology is used to the extreme. Some will be treated and others will not. The same with the side effects.

I very much agree that all the necessary technology is used in audio. But, (thank God) we are human beings, not exactly designed machines. (Not to mention different audio gear and listening rooms).

Therefore I think we should some times,

586657066_Thinkoutsidethebox.thumb.jpg.292affc1de3d70c0400340eb439d2908.jpg

Roch

6 hours ago, barrows said:

Actually, no one here has any responsibility to prove to you that there are indeed substantial differences between USB cables, despite your insistence that such is so.

The sonic differences between some USB cables is so obvious that it is very well accepted among any group who have bothered to listen.

If you are not interested in better sound quality from your own system, that is fine, but please stop pretending to "know more" than people who have already done the work, which you have not.

Even in this thread objective evidence has been referenced (HiFi News' tests which include eye pattern testing).  But of course you cannot be bothered to take a look, instead demand that people who have the experience, and have done the work themselves prove it to you, sorry, that is not the responsibility of folks who are just sharing their experiences: why bother to insult us with your lack of any relevant experience?

Do not talk to the deaf ...

Do not show the landscape to the blind ...

You can make them very sad!

------------------------------------------

Paella made by machine ...? I guarantee you a synthetic taste ...!

Roch

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, sgr said:

To me USB cables do make a difference, but not as great as a good linear power supply in the system. I’m still using my Curious set as I’m not in a hurry to join the USB cable if the month club. 

I wonder what what a Western Electric USB cable would sound like? I’m a big fan of the speaker cables and power cables I made and use. Not talented enough to make a USB cable. 

Hmmm, both things are important !

Roch

50 minutes ago, ALRAINBOW said:

We should not disallow others comments there are many factors to consider how much or any to some. 

Does anyone have an understanding of why usb Cables effect the sound ? 

I can doa few quotes  but it will not matter to most. 

THe source used makes the biggest change and after that most DACs. While there are some exceptions it’s mostly as I say I feel. . Why do I put the source first coz most all DACs  will not Sound best without it. Beyond this is the usb Cables we use. All usb Cables seem to have a sound so to admit this is tough for me and most 

I don’t feel exp Cables are needed always but clearly some made are better for over all sound. 

I kind man who Owns some nice stuff was driven mad with ground isuses. It took me many weeks as I helped him fix his many issues. 

Lastly it was his usb cable to fix. 

I truly feel all of our audio devices need to be electrically isolated  it few do this. 

He ordered a cust usb cable with a power cutter built in and a Recomended usb iso device. 

It was the last step to true happiness. 

Not all have systems that can hear the changes to the levels it may happen. To accuse them is degrading to them and cannot help the Person. 

Laslty are any usb Cables made for us bad. 

Absolutly yes lol I have heard them in my system.  But others love them lol. 

Dont take my comments as trolling it’s. It meant to be. It’s just pure honesty. Tough to swallow 

now the poster who needs to reboot a good idea and of you hear it it’s ok. 

Dont let others make you feel odd. It’s his most try to make me feel as I help them lol. 

The reason why is complex and I am not sure why it’s in yours. 

If you post what your sever is I might be able to explain why.  But do reboot of you feel it does. 

Enjoy 

I think you're right, Al.

Many of us forget where music is "born" and it has even cost me to convince friends to improve it. Once they do, they are fascinated.

But I believe USB cables can also improve the sound, or make it worse !

Roch