IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

24 minutes ago, Blake said:

It is totally cool with all of us if you agree with Sal.  Honestly.  All we (actually Reverendo, the OP, with his initial post) ask is that you take this sort of discussion to another thread.  

Pretty please, with sugar on top, and a sprinkling of rainbows, kisses and unicorns.

please re-read the OP - he does not say to avoid price comparison or construction details; he does say to avoid DBT arguments and I have not done that

13 hours ago, barrows said:

Yeah, I have seen the HI Fi News USB cable tests with both eye pattern measurements and subjective listening evaluations.  The eye pattern, generally correlated (but not in every case) pretty well with the subjective evaluation.

I must admit, I have heard significant differences between USB cables, even with a DAC with full galvanic isolation, with clocks and re-clocking on the clean side (my only explanation would be for low level noise effects such as what Alex mentions, ground bounce, maybe resonances, somehow modulating noise floors and getting through to clocks, DAC inputs, and analog circuits).  I am skeptical of high end USB cables which are "hand made".  A high speed cable needs to be precisely made to meet bandwidth and impedance specifications.  There are high end USB cables from Nordost that are precision made by custom built machines here in the US.  They also specify exactly how the cables are constructed, so you know what you are getting.  Of course they also make the very expensive Valhalla 2 USB, it is too bad this one is not more affordable.

If one wants to hear two USB cables which are very different, try the LUSH vs. Akustik Referenz, huge difference in presentation between these two.

Akustik Referenz: very incisive, precise transients, vanishing noise floor (reverb tails go on longer), lots of ambience, vivid        

levels of dynamic shading, not bright in itself, but might not be tolerated in a bright system.  Still, great

timbre and tone.  

LUSH: bold, slower transients, detailed but somewhat subdued, very rich musical timbres think very much wood to a cello.  Big

sounding, with big macro dynamics, but less detailed micro dynamics.  Could be just the thing for slightly forward

systems, or those really preferring a "musical" cable (for lack of a better word, sorry). 

would you be willing to substitute big, round tones for 'musical'? (I've been reading a nice book on jazz...)

maybe a Lush would go well with Maggies or electrostats?

and, have yo heard the Sablon?

also interested in the ID of that 'cheap cable' above

another question is how one decides which USB cable to buy (or which smaller group to buy for a listening test) - the Lightspeed is north of $1k so you have to wonder if $5k could not be better deployed...

20 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

And looking at those HiFi News cable eye patterns, the cables I have empirically bought or trialled, and didn’t like have bad eye patterns, the ‘cheap’ cable I keep coming back to despite its flaws actually performs quite well. I now don’t think this is a coincidence - for my personal tastes anyway. 

this is the cheap one I asked about

Thx - knew cableco.com did speaker cables; did not know they 'rented' USB cables

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

Science is responsible for recording and playing back the music.   Science can be applied to verify that what is played back is identical to what was recorded to a degree that makes it unlikely that any difference is audible.   I certainly hope a good mastering engineer isn't swapping out cables to get the right house sound for a particular session.

Science includes a variety of methodologies.  One is mechanistic - e.g. the post by Archimago above yours.

Another, in this context, would be a listening test.  In a sense it is more comprehensive than a mechanistic study, because if a difference can be detected one need not know the mechanism (I've posted before on the origins of the science of epidemiology and how it solve a public health crisis in London).  OTOH, if no difference can be detected, then no rational person can claim there is one.

experience is not the problem that blind testing solves

scientific studies are not based on anecdotes; however, anecdotal observations can be used early on in the stages of a study to help form hypotheses

@barrows - I am not aware of any studies showing that training allows listeners to partly or wholly overcome confirmation bias - if you have one, post it up.  I can get access to most databases and/or make an actual physical appearance in a couple or research libraries, if need be.  I'm not saying partial isn't plausible, a trained listener might be able to hone in on some particular distortion, but plausibility isn't "really where it's at." (sorry Bob...)

16 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Even better is NO USB cable if you are able to use a suitable USB adaptor. However, that's not usually possible. 

IF you are able to make it work without the need to extend the noisy +5V out from the USB port, disconnecting this and the shield in the adaptor may offer further SQ improvements.

Well put.  Use optical or Ethernet if you can - now, where is that Uptone box?

14 hours ago, sandyk said:

In short, YES! t

Added electrical noise can often add "grittiness" to the  sound, and in some cases be perceived as added HF detail. (FALSE HF detail)

Sandy, did you see the sibilance posts & glare posts on a different thread 1-2 days ago?  Maybe grittiness fits in there as well...

• 3 months later...