IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

I am currently looking for a USB cable that will fit my system, so I'm not looking for "THE BEST" cable, but the one that will work the best according to my ears.

I'd like to discourage those who do not hear differences in USB cables (or all cables) to post on this thread. I understand and respect your opinions and findings, but we'll have to agree to disagree. As human beings we all have different physical abilities. Some can run long stretches, some are fast swimmers, some are lift heavy weights... you get my point. This also applies to the physical part of listening, too. It's also true that we don't have the same experience (and/or training) in processing the information that our brain receives and, of course, this also applies to listening. So please, PLEASE, let's not let this thread become a discussion about placebo effects vs. hearing and listening disabilities, ok?

A few words about myself (for what it's worth): I have studied classical composition at a University level, have worked as a production consultant on a few albums and work with arrangements for voices, brass and orchestra now and then.

20121119_183021.jpg

The cables I had the chance to compare were: Resolution Audio Cantata stock USB Cable, AudioQuest Coffee, Wireworld Silver Starlight, Locus Desing Axis and Synergistic Research Basik Active. This is also the sequence in which I listened to them. I will sum up my findings. For those who want are more in-depth description please refer here to my original post in a Brazilian hifi-forum (for those who understand Portuguese or are willing to use Google Translate).

The AQ Coffee definitely didn't do it for me, though it was a very noticeable improvement compared to the stock cable. The name is very fitting: in my system it was very energetic, detailed and fast cable. The major problem was with the HF which was slightly veiled and had severe decay issues (almost no decay whatsoever). Timbres also suffered compared to the other cables. The result was a cable that was very detailed, but that didn't create a cohesive sound stage, resulting in a dissected sound. Therefore I had hyper-layering and very good placement on sound stage, but the music didn't mesh.

The WW Silver Starlight had all the detail of the Coffee, but with far better decay in the HFs. Timbres were better and LFs were stellar. Sound stage was larger, but had less depth than the Coffee. It bettered the Coffee in all regards except for depth and sounded far more natural.

The LD Axis had great LF, but not as good as the Silver Starlight. It had spectacular decay in the HFs, which gave the whole cable a very refined sound. Sound stage was large and spacious. In my system the Axis had good micro-dynamics. The mids, OTOH, were slightly veiled. Higher mids and treble had very good plasticity (for the lack of a better word). Treble is simply SOTA. It's a shame that the mids weren't on par with the HF.

The SR Basik Active's first impression was simply holographic. Sound was very, very 3D. Had similar depth of Coffee, but now I had a continuous and coherent sound stage. LFs were better than Axis, but not as detailed as the Silver Starlight. Excellent timbre all around. Treble decay was very good, but not in the same league as the Axis. Fantastic mids. Clear and clean, very musical and with loads of detail. Probably as fast as the Coffee, but without the negatives. The best tonal balance and, by far, the best mids of the group.

The best cost/benefit cable of the group was, without doubt, the WW Silver Starlight. The SR Basik Active was my favorite, but I'm very interested in getting to know the Platinum, based on what it's smaller sibling did for my system. The fact that I needed an extra outlet for the Basik doesn't make it very appealing to me.

I hope these comments might help point others into the right direction.

Best regards

André

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

thanks, Paul

Might be worth trying out. Would be great if it worked better than the others, since the price is right. ;)

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Hi Alex,

thanks for the idea. though my DAC doesn't need the USB current, it does need it in order to do the handshaking. I tried a Revelation

Audio Single Wire and it didn't work because of that.

best regards

André

Mapleshade Audio Clearlink USB (Plus version) - at less than half the price of the Coffee, which I had in my system for months, it was clearly superior. Has some advantages due to not binding power and signal wires close together.

Hi Jud,

Thanks for the hint. I'll try to contact them tomorrow and talk to them.

While I solidly belive in the different sound from different cables my computer based system is too basic for me to hear any difference as I am used to hearing in my serious audio system. That said, I wonder if anyone has any experience with the Pangea line of cables? I find the power products to work at least as well as power calbes costing many times more. I can attest to the build quality of every of their product I have seen...

How do their USB cables sound in comparison to the high priced brands??

Hi James,

I didn't see any USB cables from Pangea on their site. Where did you hear about them?

Best regards

André

I really really like Kimber Cable's USB Cu cable. All silver is a bit too bright for me, and all copper usually sounds a bit dull. The Cu has 6% silver, oversized conductors, and a decent insulation sheath on it. Sounds really great. Fast, accurate, no extended decay, no truncated decay either.

Cheap too. ;)

Your taste may vary of course, but this really really works well with my system.

-Paul

Hi Paul,

Maybe I'll just try to get one on loan from thecableco. It definitely would be fantastic if they could even compete in the same league due to their price.

Best regards

André

thanks to all that are giving me ideas.

this afternoon I gave Mapleshade a call and ordered their USB cable and a DoubleHelix Mk2 Plus Powerchord. Thought that it wouldn't hurt, since they seem to have a real 30-day money-back deal. The designer of the cables is extremely confident that his products will "smoke" the competition, so I'll give it a try. I'll be able to hold on to the LD Axis until then, so I'll still have kind of a reference to compare it to.

I also have to opportunity of trying Kimber's B-BUS and Nordost's Blue Heaven so I might report on these in the near future, too.

Yes I know that's what I'll be using it for. The USB adapter that I ordered is only an inexpensive temporary solution. Right now I'm using a cheap 1m generic computer cable that I had lying around - less than perfect.

However I'll still need another "single" cable to go from my Squeezebox Touch to the iUSB.

I'm currently using the blue cable that came with the iUSB but I'm looking for a good shorter one instead. 6" would be fine. Most of the "audiophile" cables I've seen are at least .5 - .75m. I don't want anything too fancy.

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that a decent quality short cable will probably be as good if not better better than a long fancy(expensive) one. The "Y" cable is a different story.

While I wait for the cables to arrive I'm being educated by all sorts of information on this thread.

Since I'm also using an SB Touch I'd be very curious in finding out if you have perceived any differences when using the iUSB. How large is it and how could it be used with the SBT?

Thanks a lot in advance

I have my Touch/EDO connected to the iUSB which feeds a V-Link 192 which is connected to my DAC via coax. I also occasionally use it in a computer to iUSB to V-Link to DAC setup.

Amongst other things it lowers the noise floor which generally makes things more coherent. It's quite small. Off hand I'd say about 3" x 6"

Thanks for the swift reply. Does this mean that I would have to have two USB cables to use it?

the Mapleshade cables have arrived. They look very flimsy. Will put them in my system and do some comparisons the next few days.

Just did my first listening impressions with the Mapleshade USB cable. I let my system warm up playing random songs for quite a while during the morning and then went on to listen to my Test CD tracks (which I normally use to get an idea of what's going on). After that I exchanged the Locus Design Axis for the Mapleshade Clearlink USB with Plus Upgrade.

Here are the first impressions of the Clearlink Plus without burn-in:

• right away quite a bit more spacious and clear than the Axis. Hearing details I had never heard before on very, very familiar tracks.
  • more holographic sound stage
  • felt as if a veil had been lifted (I know it's cliché, but describes it so well)
  • lets me look deep into the recording and the music at the same time. very natural.
  • LF are dry and fast, but are not focused nor detailed. a little bit like a camera that takes very fast photos, but pictures aren't focused nor defined and the colors are washed out. This becomes more evident with orchestra, especially strings and timpani.
  • the lack of definition and timbre in the LFs starts in the lower mids.

I don't know how this cable will evolve, but I'm extremely curious. It easliy topped the HF delicacy and refinement that I so liked in the Axis. I have the feeling that I have a giant killer on my hands. Let's see if the burn-in process gets the LFs right without mudding the mids and highs. Right out of the box I have no urge of putting the Axis back in again, but there have been times were the first impression got on my nerves. Curious about where this is going.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to your further impressions after burn-in. Given the massive difference in price compared to your Locus USB cable (the Locus USB cables have been some of the most highly regarded USB cables available anywhere regardless of cost), the Clearlink USB may just be a giant killer.

I ordered two Clearlinks with Plus upgrades on 12/27 but they have not arrived. Perhaps the Mapleshade employees took some time off for the holidays.

Once the Clearlinks arrive, I will be conducting a review similar to yours, comparing the Clearlink and the other USB cables I have on hand: the KingRex uArt Y, Nordost Blue Heaven, Audioquest Coffee, and iFi's new USB cable (forgot the name, I have it preordered, but it is supposed to arrive sometime this month).

Hi Blake,

will be looking forward to your comparisons. I might get the Blue Heaven and a Kimber, as I stated before, but I want to wait in order to have a fully burnt-in Mapleshade to make the comparison fair. seems I got lucky on the Mapleshades, since I order last week and got them yesterday. :)

Different types of USB cables can only do so much. It takes attention to detail in the USB power area to gain marked improvements in the LF area as well as right acrossd the board. There are quite a few threads about different products and methods to gain improvements there, including the SOtM USB power solutions.See also:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ifi-iusb-power-supply-neat-tweak-and-upgrade-usb-dac-13832/

I'm sure that there are things that can be done, but I had wonderful LF accuracy, timbre and depth with the Starlight. So I do hope that the Mapleshade get's better without losing it's present virtues. Since the iUSB needs two cables (which raises the cost) I'll refrain from looking into it at the moment.

The entire principle is to CUT any connection to the PC power, so yes, you need 2 cables, but as Ted says, when the ifi Gemini and the straight cable comes out, a .75m length will be $75 so 2 of them will be $150 and that is not exorbitant. In any case, you get the short blue cable for free and really only need the Gemini cable for $75 total... The blue cable is quite competent!

I think that it would only make some real sense if the iUSB render using a good USB cable superfluous, which doesn't seem to be the case. 2x WW Platinum + iUSB is still $1200, for example. If the Mapleshade really gives me the results I'm looking and hoping for I just might give the iUSB a try.

I'm also breaking my Clearlink in atm. Playing music almost 10h a day. Let's see if my experience matches Jud's.

You could burn it in twice as fast by setting your player on shuffle with all your music, amp off and volume on preamp all the way down, stopping the process every so often to listen.

I thought about this, but would the preamp have to be on in order for it to work? I have a beefy and rather power hungry integrated and it will up my energy bill by quite a bit if I leave it on the whole time, even if the volume is all down. It's great in stand-by mode, though. I still might do it, though :D

Just the DAC would need to be on. I was thinking about the way I have things running for burn-in, rather than the minimum setup that would work. I have separates and always leave the preamp on. Nothing in particular regarding the sound, I'm just absent-minded enough that if I turned on the amp and no sound came out, I might panic and think something was really wrong for a moment or two. So I spare myself the angina.

great! I had assumed that this would be the case so tonight I already left it playing during the whole night. burn-in processo should take around 9 days then.

Am presently auditioning Elija Audio, Isolator cables, one copper and one silver in my system.

These are 10cm braided cables in which the live has been removed (the JKDAC32 is a battery powered DAC).

I have had the copper cable on burn-in for the last 10 hours and I'm already very impressed with the smooth but detailed sound quality in the system. It's a distinct improvement on the direct connection - easier to live with and less fatiguing.

Mark.

It's a pity that I can't use it, since I need the live for handshaking between SB Touch and DAC.

What cable were you using before?

First cable was a Chord USB silver plus (75cm) - a lot better than generic printer cable but in retrospect lacking in clarity and dynamics.

Then used a direct connection using a pair of USB adapters al la: https://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/home-1/announcements/improvingusb Very clear, improved soundstage and separation of instruments, better bass reproduction. But a bit tiring - too revealing in my system and a bit harsh on certain recordings. Also the setup is tight for space, no real room for adjustment or gap between mac and dac which could lead to rf interference.

The Elija is the best sound quality so far - retains clarity, separation, soundstage, better bass and overall sound is more fluid and smooth. The copper cable is still in burn-in (50 hours recommended) and I'll have a more critical listen then. Also, have the silver version which I'll trial next week.

BTW, Michael of Elija Audio offered a great service - he sent both cables on trust for audition plus a 60 day no quibble return policy. John Kenny (JKDAC32) also offers a no quibble return policy. I have had great service from small manufacturers in the last year - the offer good value for money, great support from the very person that built the equipment and a personal touch which you cannot get or expect from large companies. Kudos to the little guy.

Mark

Mark,

I remember reading JKenny's thread quite a few years ago on head-fi when he started modding the hiFace. He had a great following at that time. By the way you describe it he's still at it. Great to know.

I believe that my burn-in period is almost over, but have not had any time to stop to give it a listen. Will try to do it this weekend or the beginning of next week.

today I sat down for about an hour in order to get an idea of how the Mapleshade is doing. I only listened to a few tracks and compared them to the Axis.

here the second impressions:

• mids and highs are still very clear and sound natural and organized, especially in the mids
  • LFs are a little better, but still suffer from a certain lack of definition
  • Axis' upper mids sound a little too forward compared to the Mapleshade giving it a slight brilliance that is a little fatiguing
  • upper highs for the Axis are more extended and refined, resulting in better ambience and decay
  • Mapleshade lacks some 'meat on bones' compared to the Axis

putting this into perspective: the Mapleshade clearly has better mids, but that was the Axis' achilles heel anyway compared to the other cables I tested previously. the fact that both are on fairly the same level regarding HFs makes a good case for the Mapleshade. OTOH I'm not sure that the LFs are going to get significantly better and the Axis wasn't the strongest contender in that regard compared anyway.

The result is a very natural, clear and clean sound, which continues to let me listen to details I hadn't heard before and that let's me look deep into the recording and the music. It still lacks some body and weight, especially texture, timbre and definition in the LFs. I probably have some 150 hours on the Mapleshade, so I'll give it another 50, but I'm not sure that things will change much. Fact is that it is an incredible cable at this price. I wouldn't even bother comparing it to the Coffee. Would be interesting to do a direct comparison to the other cables I auditioned. For now I'll wait for the last hours.

reverendo, appreciate the care you've taken in listening and writing your impressions. I haven't heard the Axis, but your thoughts on the Clearlink track mine pretty closely. I know I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but thought I would do so again in a little more detail: The Mapleshade power cord and power strip helped the bass response in my system. When I mentioned Clearlink's reticence in the bass early in my listening to Pierre, he responded that it wasn't all due to lack of break-in; the power cord and strip would help. He was (as he often tends to be) quite right. Particularly regarding the "lack of definition" you mention, I wrote Pierre a tongue-in-cheek email after installing the cord and strip in which I said "Huh, so the bass actually plays notes instead of just rumbling along underneath everything. Who knew?"
One other thing, reverendo, after looking at your sig: Before the Mapleshade cord and strip, I was using a Z-Cord and Z-Strip (the latter from the first iteration of the Z-Series, and having some of the functions of your Z Duplex). Pierre said he felt the Z-stuff went too far in filtering, to the point that not only the noise, but some of the life was removed from the music. So I substituted the Mapleshade cord and strip for the MIT in the computer audio part of my system, and the results were very positive.

Jud,

I'm sure that power cables can make my bass better (and they have in the past), but I'm trying to compare without altering other variables. fact is that I have a pretty good cable on my current power strip, so IF the Mapleshade powercable betters it (which would be very surprising) the effect would also be felt with the other USB cables, too. BTW, I only got the Powercable because Pierre was rather adamant that it would better probably whatever I've got.

About the MIT stuff: if things get better without it, I'd be a happy camper. I'll try his power cable and will take it from there. If it really betters my current cable I'll probably get a power strip. If I get that far I might consider taking the Duplex Super out of the equation. I must say that if taking it out of my system makes things better I'd be more than glad to be rid of it, but the sound is pretty good ATM.

I'll try to give the USB cable another listen beforeI insert the powercord in the mix. :)

OffTopic: just inserted the Mapleshade Double Helix Mk2 PC into the system. LFs sounded better right out of the box, but all the rest sounds worse (veiled mids, highs with no refinement, vocals sound trapped, etc.). Since I have experienced great improvement with power cord burn-in in the past I'll wait and see. I took it out of the system and put it on the router in order for it to burn-in (should have done this a long time ago). Let's see what happens.

The Mapleshade folks very specifically ask that their cables not be burned in with "cable burners" but with music. So I guess they must feel there's a difference, but I wouldn't know what it is.

I'll check with them tomorrow. Will report back.

called Pierre on the 23rd and still waiting for a call back. in the mean time the cable is on my router. might have a listen today to see if there was any improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today I sat down again in order to have a final comparison between the Axis and the Mapleshade Plus and here are my final findings:

• the Mapleshade is overall clearer, cleaner and more spacious than the Axis, which definitely is no small feat taking my previous comparisons into account.
  • the Axis 'might' be a tad more refined in the upper, upper HFs, but I'm not really sure about this
  • the Mapleshade is less defined than the Axis in the LFs and not by a small margin. this mostly affects the timbre of strings. this is not a good sign compared to my previous comparisons, since the Axis was a distant third in this area

For the time being the Mapleshade Plus USB cable will stay, but I'll probably make use of the cableco's library in order to compare it to the WW Silver Starlight, Platinum, the SR Basik Active and the AQ Diamond.

I must say, though, that the price makes this USB cable a great, great buy and that's why it's staying.

Best regards

PS: just put the Double Helix Plus back into the system and it seems that it has gotten much better. I'll try to find some time next week to give it a closer look against my cables.

Thanks once again for all the careful reporting - good stuff to read.

Interesting that the two cables you liked best overall were both perceived as lacking bass or bass definition. Never heard the Axis myself, but have read only good things about it.

Will anticipate reading about your impressions of the power cord in your system. Considering the cost of what you already have, it would be a pleasant surprise if the Double Helix comes close.

Hi Jud,

actually the Axis was not my favorite in the first comparison. It's simply the cable that I had at hand in order to compare it to the Mapleshade. If you read my first comparison you'll see that my favorite was the SR Basik Active with the WW Silver Starlight in second and the Axis a close third. That's why I want to compare the Mapleshade to the other two and throw in the Diamond and the Platinum.

Let's see how that goes.

Best regards

a friend of mine has the Sarum speaker cables and ICs and is very happy with them, but I really don't think of spending half as much money on a USB cable. that's just too much for me ;)

on another note: yesterday two audiophile friends of mine who live in the same city in Brazil told me about their latest comparisons. one has the Platinum and the other has the Diamond USB calbe. both agree that in their systems the Purist that they just tested bettered their own USB cables. I'll probably will check up on that, since the Purist they're talking about is the simple one. I might just get it and later on compare it to the others, since I won't get the Diamond, the Platinum and the new entry level SR cable until end of February. these are guys who have great systems and are rather picky with what they go with. of course my mileage may vary, but for that price I just might get it and compare it to the Mapleshade.