IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 10:49 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Mechnutt,

The Luxman DA-06 is a little aged and while great for its time as being dsd capable, dac technologies had progressed quite a bit ... its original RRP of almost usd6k dropped very quickly and was on discounted sales by various shops in the following years from 2013 of its release.

I sold mine about 2-3 yrs ago ... it is a little mellow and of low resolution that is lacking on clarity to prevent music from coming thru ... some may believe it is more analog but higher resolution does not mean less analog.

Hope my comments ain't seen as negative but simply since I had the experience in moving from the Luxman DA-06 to Denafrips DACs with better clocks, newer FPGA processing, i2s connectivity as well as provision to syn to a single clock which is frankly miles ahead ... yymv and bigger $ as usual but may be more cost effective than more auxilliary components, cablings etc.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20211017-115231_Drive.jpg

I agree, the Luxman DA-06 is a bit long in the tooth. I still love its warmer, non fatiguing sound.  It sounds great with Hi-Rez from 384 down, DSD is decent which is no big deal.  Last year a friend brought over a Yggdrasil and we compared.  The Yggy sounded a bit better but I felt the tone on the Luxman was richer.  I prefer a DAC with a very slightly warmer tone and some low end bloom. I am looking at an Aqua La Voce S3.  I use to own a Cary Audio 200ts, returned it after 10 days.  I also owned a Marantz NA11s1 which had  the best tone and texture of any DAC that I have owned, piano and female vocals were the best that I have  heard from a DAC.  However, it was way to forward and fast paced in my system. 

The rest of my gear is fairly resolving.  BAT VK51-se preamp, Pass Labs X250 amp, Luxman DAC, Magnepan 1.6 speakers with dual subs. I am using a custom music computer that I build in a mid tower quiet case with a low ripple power supply, quiet fans, shielded cables etc.. I remote in from a laptop using windows remote desktop.  It sounds great.  Music players  are Bug Head and Audirvana.

My Gear- Pass Labs X250, BAT VK-51se, Magnepan 1.6's, Dual Martin Logan subs, Luxman DA-06 DAC with Regen, Music Hall 25.2 CDP as a transport, Thorens TD-145 TT, Cardas Parsec and AQ Colombia 72v DBS XLR's

On 10/10/2021 at 9:13 PM, richard_crl032 said:

I do believe notable improved difference in different price point but I am not surprised on your findings on boutique cardas or audioquest's lowering offering at 300 vs the honest-to-goodness pro stuff from Belden, Canare etc.

In another words, I am quite sure >1k+ offering  cardas or audioquest will have SQ improvement compared to Belden 8402 .. if your system has the needed resolution to discern such improvement in the 1st place. 

Hence my guideline of 20% total cost my system being the complete cabling setup .. powercord, digital and analog interconnects as well as speaker cables.

Cheers.

Both those IC's cost $450.  They sounded better than the BJC's but not the Belden 8402.  I know of someone that uses the 8402's over$1K cables.  It's all about system synergy and personal tastes.  Cables are a crap shoot.  Just look at used cables.  I see so many cables that are over $1K being sold with only a few hours on them.

My Gear- Pass Labs X250, BAT VK-51se, Magnepan 1.6's, Dual Martin Logan subs, Luxman DA-06 DAC with Regen, Music Hall 25.2 CDP as a transport, Thorens TD-145 TT, Cardas Parsec and AQ Colombia 72v DBS XLR's