IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

2 hours ago, barrows said:

Has anyone tried the Black Cat Digit USB cable?  This one uses a different than standard geometry, with an arrangement of two coax style cables for the data lines (making each data line individually shielded) while still maintaining the correct impedance.  Chris S. has always been a very good designer when it comes to high speed digital cables.  This design also shares some similarities with Nordost's insanely expensive Valhalla 2 USB cable, which is really good, but not really affordable to most!

As to the Inakustik Referenz, it is truly excellent if one is looking for maximum resolution-but beware, it is not suitable for a system which leans towards the bright side of the tonal spectrum-I would not say the Inakustik itself is bright, but it will not hide any problems in the system. 

After burn-in time Inakustik Reference USB sounds much more neutral but revealing at the same time. It would be not so forgiving for some less than excellent recordings, what more than compensates with musicality and smoothness it brings.

8 hours ago, barrows said:

I have an Inakustik Referenz here and am quite familiar with how it sounds.  I agree that it is about as "neutral" as one can get.  My warning was aimed at those whose systems might be even a little on the lean/bright side: i do not think this cable would be pleasing in such a system.

No one out there with experience with the Black Cat Digit USB?  I am curious about it.

I hear you and understand what you're trying to tell pretty well, I believe. I just can not agree Inakustik Reference doesn't fit for bright systems, because: a) its sound character changes after some time; b) it gives so much musical coherent sound it easily compensates possible system brightness, imho.

• 10 months later...
5 hours ago, xyzzy1 said:

People who are critically and carefully and repeatedly listening to high end audio equipment can hear that there are differences in cables of all kinds. It takes at least an entry level high end audio system and lots listening to favorite songs. It's then that one can notice the subtle nuances and differences.

Expensive is not best and many cheaper cables sound quite good.

If you are not sweating to hear every detail in your audio system then, yes, any cable will do.

The better the combination of components in an audio system, the less difference in the "sound" of the cables can be perceived. Conversely, in a random set of poorly matched components, the difference in the "sound" of the cables may be more noticeable.

15 minutes ago, xyzzy1 said:

Not at all true in my experience, good audio components of any combination reveals differences in cables.

The better the audio components are the more pronounced are differences that can be heard between cables by a careful well seasoned listener.

Of course, an experienced listener will be able to catch the difference between the cables on a well-matched audio system. However, that's not what I was talking about. A well-matched system is not as critical of different cables, whereas on a system with poorly matched components, different cables can create the illusion of certain improvement. 

6 minutes ago, xyzzy1 said:

I agree with you on this from my personal experience. I have an audiophile friend who loves music from the 30's 40's. Listening to 78's and older 33's on his high end system can reveal a lot of the artistry and gestalt of the musicians that comes through all the crackling and limited bandwidth.

I love old records, in many cases they are more valuable to me than what is being done in this century. And therefore an audio set that allows to forget about the shortcomings of an archive recording and allows to experience strong emotions would be preferable for me. We are here for the music, after all, aren't we?

On 5/7/2021 at 8:10 AM, jon2020 said:

Totally disagree. You have no idea what you are talking about. You need to give this issue a rest as it seems to be gnawing at you to no end, just to prove your point which is simply wrong at so many levels. 

And what gnaws me, according to your well-informed opinion? Could you elaborate more?