IGNORED

Ola Gjeilo's Piano Improvisations DSD version

I am about to download/purchase my first DSD download, and it will be Ola Gjeilo's Piano Improvisations DSD version.

Is the DSD stereo version available from highresaudio.com, and is Highresaudio.com a good website to download/purchase this recording, or is it also available at 2L? Also, at Highresaudio.com, right above the "Buy This Album!" is a little triangle pointing down -- do I use it to select the DSD version (I see it's also available in FLAC 96, FLAC 192, FLAC Multi, etc.)

Oh, is this particular file (at highresaudio.com) a DSF or a DFF file -- just want to know because DSF and DFF both have metadata attached to them (which is good).

By the way, I have MacBook Pro, iTunes and Pure Music 1.9.

Thanks for your help everyone!

DFF has no real metadata support, only DSF. Choose DSF if given the choice. And if your DAC will do 24/352 then choose that format, since this is not a native DSD recording (2L records in 24/352 aka DXD, a PCM format).

I am about to download/purchase my first DSD download, and it will be Ola Gjeilo's Piano Improvisations DSD version.

Is the DSD stereo version available from highresaudio.com, and is Highresaudio.com a good website to download/purchase this recording, or is it also available at 2L? Also, at Highresaudio.com, right above the "Buy This Album!" is a little triangle pointing down -- do I use it to select the DSD version (I see it's also available in FLAC 96, FLAC 192, FLAC Multi, etc.)

Oh, is this particular file (at highresaudio.com) a DSF or a DFF file -- just want to know because DSF and DFF both have metadata attached to them (which is good).

By the way, I have MacBook Pro, iTunes and Pure Music 1.9.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Yeah, get the DSF cause of the metadata.

Highresaudio is the the most likely site to offer the DSD version of that masterpiece, although 2L is the original producer, they don't offer the DSD as a download...(scratch head). I have bought from Highresaudio and imported to Pure Music quite well, you will need to add the cover art manually, but the tracks and titles will import OK. DFF is really hit and miss when it comes to metadata, some titles come through OK, others just list the artist and track names derived from the file name, so best to stick with DSF. SQ is the same, the file structure changes with the header information only. Be prepared for a major load on your CPU as the import to iTunes is intensive, should take about 5-10mins. You need to download their program so you can retrieve your purchase, it's OK, no major drama, except, it can indicate a failed download, yet the files play 100% OK.

Enjoy the Album though, it's easy to flow into this music, it really grows on you, the SQ is just magic, that church where the recording is made has fantastic acoustics, DSD, you hear everything except the traffic :) The PM version you quoted, maybe the 8 went missing when you typed? as at 29-dec, version is Pure Music 1.89d4.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Yeah, get the DSF cause of the metadata.

Highresaudio is the the most likely site to offer the DSD version of that masterpiece, although 2L is the original producer, they don't offer the DSD as a download...(scratch head). I have bought from Highresaudio and imported to Pure Music quite well, you will need to add the cover art manually, but the tracks and titles will import OK. DFF is really hit and miss when it comes to metadata, some titles come through OK, others just list the artist and track names derived from the file name, so best to stick with DSF. SQ is the same, the file structure changes with the header information only. Be prepared for a major load on your CPU as the import to iTunes is intensive, should take about 5-10mins. You need to download their program so you can retrieve your purchase, it's OK, no major drama, except, it can indicate a failed download, yet the files play 100% OK.

Enjoy the Album though, it's easy to flow into this music, it really grows on you, the SQ is just magic, that church where the recording is made has fantastic acoustics, DSD, you hear everything except the traffic :) The PM version you quoted, maybe the 8 went missing when you typed? as at 29-dec, version is Pure Music 1.89d4.

Thanks One and a Half for your detailed info -- much appreciated.

Question: Why are you "One and a Half"? :)

Highresaudio is the the most likely site to offer the DSD version of that masterpiece, although 2L is the original producer, they don't offer the DSD as a download...(scratch head).

2L doesn't have an own online store, they are linked to the Swedish download provider Klicktrack. So it doesn't really matter whether you buy this Norwegian gem from a Swedish or a German website.

As reported earlier, I have the 24/192, and it's amazing.

I'm just wondering whether DSD here is really any better, as this is a native DXD, i.e. PCM recording.

My DAC doesn't do native DSD, so I cannot compare the two, but this would be an interesting test on this extremely well recorded piece. I just doubt somebody will shell out €30 + €23 to compare DSD and 24/192 :-)

My DAC doesn't do native DSD, so I cannot compare the two, but this would be an interesting test on this extremely well recorded piece. I just doubt somebody will shell out €30 + €23 to compare DSD and 24/192 :-)

Ola has another piece on the 2L sampler, "North Country II", but it's not on Improvisations. Would love to get Stone Rose in DSD, it's on the BD, how to extract? Or are they just files?

As for getting the 192/24 wav or FLAC...only if there is a special maybe at HD tracks, at $30 regular price ...not tonight Josephine.

I have Christie Winn's "C'est Magnifique" from Blue Coast in DSD64 and 96/24 FLAC. The difference is noticeable, the FLAC is rough in comparison, just misses that zing, detail and dynamics of the DSD. I imagine the same for Ola Gjeilo's work. Now that's using the same DAC, if a different DAC is used for PCM and one for DSD, that would be an interesting exercise.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I have some 2L stuff in both DSD and 24/192. My DAC is a Meitner MA-1 so the DSD format almost always wins (the chip is 1 bit, etc). In the case of 2L the jury is somewhat out cuz the DSD tracks are PCM-to-DSD while the 24/192 is slightly downsampled 24/352k PCM (i.e no format conversion, just sample rate). HOWEVER, my Meitner converts PCM to DSD as a default, so I am kind of stuck with conversion either way (actually, "stuck" is a relative term...more like an embarassment of riches :) ). Anyway, with the Meitner the two files are basically identical sounding; maybe I'd pick the DSD but it's too close to call. That tells me that any PCM DAC ought not choose 2L's DSD files to buy.

On the Mytek (home office setup but still very resolving) I like the 24/192 better....which makes some sense cuz now I am not converting everything to DSD. Again, I reach the same conclusion on 2L...stay PCM if you can.

Net/net, it's so close it's worth it only as an exercise.

Note: I do own a real DSD vs PCM test, which is a Liszt piano solo recorded in BOTH formats natively at the same time (no conversion in either case). The Meitner likes the DSD more, the Mytek calls it a tie, with slight timbre changes only...

I have some 2L stuff in both DSD and 24/192. My DAC is a Meitner MA-1 so the DSD format almost always wins (the chip is 1 bit, etc). In the case of 2L the jury is somewhat out cuz the DSD tracks are PCM-to-DSD while the 24/192 is slightly downsampled 24/352k PCM (i.e no format conversion, just sample rate). HOWEVER, my Meitner converts PCM to DSD as a default, so I am kind of stuck with conversion either way (actually, "stuck" is a relative term...more like an embarassment of riches :) ). Anyway, with the Meitner the two files are basically identical sounding; maybe I'd pick the DSD but it's too close to call. That tells me that any PCM DAC ought not choose 2L's DSD files to buy.

On the Mytek (home office setup but still very resolving) I like the 24/192 better....which makes some sense cuz now I am not converting everything to DSD. Again, I reach the same conclusion on 2L...stay PCM if you can.

Net/net, it's so close it's worth it only as an exercise.

Note: I do own a real DSD vs PCM test, which is a Liszt piano solo recorded in BOTH formats natively at the same time (no conversion in either case). The Meitner likes the DSD more, the Mytek calls it a tie, with slight timbre changes only...

Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

Is the DSD stereo version available from highresaudio.com, and is Highresaudio.com a good website to download/purchase this recording, or is it also available at 2L? Also, at Highresaudio.com, right above the "Buy This Album!" is a little triangle pointing down -- do I use it to select the DSD version (I see it's also available in FLAC 96, FLAC 192, FLAC Multi, etc.)!

Why not get the disc direct from 2L in Norway?. That way you support the little guy. The blu ray disc box has a companion SACD disc and all the stereo 192/24 FLAC files are on the Blu Ray ROM_DATA area (and other resolutions as well), they just need to be copied to your audio server, dont even need to mess with the blu ray files. You have a tangible asset not a bunch of ephemeral files. My 2 cents.

I should add that I play this as PCM because its the nearest to the recording. The DSD however is easily derivable from the DXD masters and there is little sonic hit compared to the reverse transcoding.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

We should choose format (PCM – DSD) regarding our DAC. The tool you use to reproduce will tell the final SQ.

My DAC (Linn Klymax) is PCM based, so I always go for PCM.

In real world best peproductor is Vinyl, yes even if the recording is digital (comparing with same price line digital stuff).

So far HiEnd PCM DACs as a general rule outperform DSD DACs. I have compared Linn Klymax v. dcs DSD, Klymax wins, despite price difference.

So DSD recordings are good for SACD mastering. For PCM DACS PCM of course.

So I always go for PCM and Ted-b goes for DSD (because of our DACs).

On the other hand, if you go for best quality source, thinking to change DAC in the future, go for the original master, no conversions.

2L is DXD (PCM) so PCM is the reference in these recordings.

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

As an extreme example, I have 2 HiRes versions of Beethoven 5&7, Carlos Kleiber (Deustche Grammophon) the one I purchased first at HDTracks (24/88.2) and the new one purchased at Qobuz (24/96). The first one has gone: Original digitalization 24/96 DSD conversion for SACD mastering and then reconverted to PCM at HDTracks.

You can guess the recently purchased version, original PCM 24/96, sounds wayyyyyy better.

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

I've been doing some thinking -- would I be better off if I just ordered/downloaded the FLAC 192 (24/192 PCM) version? I have read and heard that a lot of people are very impressed with the 24/192 PCM version.

I think I will do DSD downloads off of Blue Coast as a starting point DSD-wise.

Thanks again for your responses.

Hey - Thanks for recommending this title! It sounds great through my tiny Mac speakers. I just purchased the 24/192 version from HDTracks. It is downloading at the moment so I cannot comment on the quality, however the music itself (that I heard) is wonderful, a great recommendation.

Happy New Year to all.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I've been doing some thinking -- would I be better off if I just ordered/downloaded the FLAC 192 (24/192 PCM) version? I have read and heard that a lot of people are very impressed with the 24/192 PCM version.

I think I will do DSD downloads off of Blue Coast as a starting point DSD-wise.

Thanks again for your responses.

Given the DXD source, just go ahead with the 24/192. You won't regret it.