IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Zuma

Im currently playing music via JMRC on desktop to PS Audio dac (PWD + bridge) over ethernet. I want to move things up a few notches by adding a CAPS3 server. I want to be able to use Jplay/JRMC and also JRMC with Fidelizer.

A couple of starting points.

First, when you say PS Audio PWD + Bridge - is yours the Mk1 or Mk2 version?

If you stick with using Ethernet then you will only need the "basic" level CAPS (sorry Chris but you're code names are horrid when needing to remember which is which quickly).

Secondly only if you are connecting the CAPS direct to the DAC will JPlay vs JRMC and Fidelia be relevant.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I think wifi is a great add on. Thanks for the suggestion Chris. Purely because with a battery powered caps it's one less source of electrical interference.

Another option for WiFi would be to connect the CAPS to a wireless bridge (Apple Airport Express can be used this way and Belkin, Netgear and others all have similar devices). That may be better as could be located away from the CAPS to remove potential source of RF emissions.

This also works well if you want to attach a CAPS to a NAS - wire both to the wireless bridge and both can also communicate via WiFi to the Internet or to be controlled by a tablet / smartphone type device.

Not sure if Chris or anyone has ever compared the two options.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Hi Eloise - I prefer my model names, after the sunny beaches of Malibu, compared to some of your favorite components from Chord -> QBD76HD / QBD76HDSD.

All in good fun of course :~)

Smiles ... perhaps if we had some nice sunny beaches here we'd name some components after them...

I can't see the Chord Mablethorpe or Naim Morcombe selling very well :-)

If I was being really critical - I can see the first three being the spiritual sucessor to the original CAPS and each are development of each other - Topanga the basic model; Lagoon adding the SotM card and (optional) PSU then Carbon replacing the case to allow for further development - but Zuma is more a separate thing ... a branching away from the original idea (though still meeting the criteria). Almost like Topanga, Lagoon and Carbon are CAPSv3a, b and c with Zuma almost CAPSv4.

Eloise

Eloise

---

I still need Chris to chime in on this so we'll understand what the memory issue is or is not with Ballistix.

From above:

Am I understanding correctly that Chris says the Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB kit will not work when he says:

"Readers who stray from the Zuma design should steer clear of Crucial Ballistix Sport and Corsair Dominator Platinum. This memory works well in other designs just not CAPS v3 Zuma."

I don't understand the first sentence... If I'm not straying from the Zuma design, am I still supposed to "steer clear of Crucial Ballistix memory." That's what the next sentence implies.

Maybe Chris can rewrite this here.

My take on what Chris wrote is that "straying from the Zuma design" means any change from his list of components i.e. changing from 8GB to 16GB; or using different memory from the Crucial memoryy Chris specified, is straying from the Zuma design.

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 2 weeks later...
If I used an outboard AD converter, could the Zuma be used as a recorder?

Yes, the Zuma would make a good recorder. The problem would be many ADC use firewire which the Zuma doesn't support as designed - but you could forgoe the SotM USB card and put a firewire card in, or possibly use something in the Mini PCIe slot or use a larger case (such as Streacom FC9 or FC10) and use one of the other PCIe slots.

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 1 month later...

Could you not screw some stand-offs onto the bottom of the SSD to raise it up, then screw through the bottom of the case as (it appears) is recommended for securing a drive normally?

Chris, if you see this... can you give any recommendations for motherboards which have PCI slots along side the PCIe slots? Several people have enquired about using the old SotM PCI card.

Eloise

Eloise

---

I guess one could try to find a threaded spacer, male on one end, female on the other, elevate the SSD and fit the SOtM filter upside down. Seems like a lot of work. If the mounting holes on the SSD drive went all the way through (the lid of the SSD) it would be a lot less hassle. It baffles me as to why SOtM decided to design their filter in this manner.

I guess the design fits straight into the drive and most drives tend to be mounted in some form of support where the rear end hangs over so there's no problem...

Eloise

---

• 3 weeks later...

Looks a pretty good alternative - the only real difference is the motherboard and that should make very little difference. You probably don't want internal storage - just the SSD boot disk.

As for other parts to reduce the price - well you could go for the i3 option that should be powerful enough for running J.River; infact if you're not wanting to do upsampling or signal processing (such as room correction) then an Atom based PC is powerful enough...

Eloise

Eloise

---

Hi Eloise, thank you very much. Can you please eloberate why internal storage is not a good idea? What else is your recommendation for storage? CPU Power is important for room correction and 1080p Video feedback. Would an I5 be enough already?

For video the graphics section is more important IMO - the i7 3770T has the 4000HD GPU IIRC which is available in some i5 processors too...

Internal storage is usually avoided because of potential for noise (physical mostly). Use an external eSATA (or USB or FireWire) or NAS device.

Eloise

Eloise

---