IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Zuma

Hi Chris. Love the write up! Awesome. So there are no other motherborad options suitable for the zuma with direct external DC power connectors? What other motherboards have this option? Or is it just the Intel Atoms? Cheers

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Miki. In the images of Zuma, that star shaped metal plate contraption with the "Streatcom" label on it sits right over the top of the chip. So I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean that the heat pipes under this don't go far in enough? They are connected to that metal plate on top right? So why should this matter...? As heat is collected by the plate, then conducted away via the pipes... I'm no computer engineer, but isn't this how heat dissipation is working?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^ well just leave the server on, and keep the Redwine in charge mode. (Unless you are listening)... In which case switch it to battery mode. When you are finished listening, switch it over and leave it in charger mode again.... :)

Special Request for Chris C.

Hi Chris.

Could you contact SGC and put in a request for a CAPS V3 Zuma "kit"

Same format as the lagoon kit. Everything made up (user self installs SSD and OS)

Perhaps with choice of processor (to allow i3-i7 lower power "T" varieties.)

I'm sure they would sell lots of these. :)

As that would take the heart ache out of the heat pipe stuff for computer maker newbies, but allow ultimate choice of plug in "add on's"... Which most of us here are capable of (and enjoy the flexibilty of doing anyway....)

Cheers

And thanks so much for the awesome site !!!

Wap.

Sure. I guess that's life in computeraudiofile server land. What makes this Zuma CAPS so attractive is when that day comes, this V3 has the processing power and video capabilities to be re-used as an all round HTPC... In other words it can be oncycled to a different use.. ..anyway by end of 2013, some genius will probably be getting bit perfect 24/192 and DSD asynchronous USB out of a AA battery powered Rasberry Pi (? Version b..or the next "c"..all for 100 bucks and it won't matter anymore. C'est la vie:)

I think wifi is a great add on. Thanks for the suggestion Chris. Purely because with a battery powered caps it's one less source of electrical interference.

So is SGC providing a Zuma "kit" yet? Do they intend to ? Cheers.

I don't get this RAM compatibility.

Can someone please say precisely what is 100% compatible. Right up to 32Gb.

Thanks.

Those that have used the thermal paste etc..I've taken a look at this case's manual. How difficult is it to use that thermal paste?.... Is it that difficult? What is it? Glue or something?..How long does it take to set, and once it's done is it stuck down on the chip for good?

For cooling, I'm thinking of actually not using the paste at all, just direct contact with the pipes, and leaving the lid off the Zuma and seeing how that goes...

Comments?