IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Zuma

I am currently building this version with 2 changes:

1. Streacom case designed for slot loading optical drive.

2. Sony Optiarc AD-7640s.

I made these changes to make it easier to use optical media when necessary (i.e. No USB device to connect/disconnect).

3 other notes:

1. I read in this thread someone asking about how the hard drive was mounted. I think the answer is either it wasn't or possibly double back tape was used. I found that the SATA noise filter is manufactured upside down from the mounting holes on the drive. That bugs me, so I am going to try using some intermediate cables between the filter and the drive. That won't be as neat, but I can then attach the drive to the case with screws.

2. The case I am using has 6 heat pipes rather than four. I'm not sure if this translates to additional cooling, though. Just an FYI. BTW, this case is a little less expensive ($25 or so).

3. Hoping the addition of the optical drive does not exceed the power supply's capacity. I guess I will find out.

Hope this info is useful to someone.

Right after posting my last comment, I wondered if adding intermediate cables between the SATA filter and the drive could create an avenue for noise to enter in to the system (although I presume the filter would take care of that). Just a thought.

Perhaps a bracket/cradle that mounts to the case which can then hold the hard drive upside down and subsequently allow the filter to connect directly to the drive may be better. I will have to search for that.

You will have much higher jitter from optical media

How so?

I only plan on using the optical for the OS load and any unforeseen needs.

I won't be using it to play any files.

I do wonder if there is a need to have a SATA filter on it.

Perhaps Chris can comment.

I have a question for Chris relating to power supply. Do you have any concerns with the components (motherboard, USB, SATA, sound card) all sharing the same power supply (or taking their power from the motherboard)? I guess a super-pure approach would prefer separate power supply (or separate feeds from a linear power supply?). I'm looking to deploy a linear power supply in mine.

You may have already seen this, but Simple Design has a battery unit that can be used to separately power the USB card. It is quite a bit less expensive than the Red Wine product, although not as flexible.

Right after posting my last comment, I wondered if adding intermediate cables between the SATA filter and the drive could create an avenue for noise to enter in to the system (although I presume the filter would take care of that). Just a thought.

Perhaps a bracket/cradle that mounts to the case which can then hold the hard drive upside down and subsequently allow the filter to connect directly to the drive may be better. I will have to search for that.

System is now up and operational.

I have three additional notes:

1. The power input from the back of the enclosure does not quite reach the motherboard connector (square 4 wire connector - only 2 wires used), so you either have to find an extension cable or cut, splice, solder, shrink tube (this is the method i used - no big deal - took 10 minutes).

2. The optical drive's location prevents a straight SATA cable to be connected to the mobo connector (for the optical itself), so you have to either use a 90 degree SATA adapter or a SATA extender cable with a 90 degree mobo end.

3. The optical uses a "slim" type power/data combo cable, so you have to get one of those (Micro Center for me), or you can get one on line.