IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Zuma

I checked that link and the prices are in Euros so I converter the prices to USD to check them and for all items your paying a hefty premium for the parts! Also, they are also not listed as an authorized dealers for SOtM...

Jesus R

You're right. We pay a lot in the EU because of shipment costs, heavy import duties and appr. 22% VAT. In the end it is cheaper to pay the high EU price then to import from the USA or Korea. EU prices are about the same as the UK prices.

I don't mind that he might not be an authorised dealer as long as I can get the SOTM stuff I want the easy way :-)

Sorry, but the math does not add up. If you add the 22% you posted about to the set price the cost on that webpage is still much more $. Then you are paying shipping on top of that. You should care about them no being dealers because the dealer network protects you from these kinds of issues.

Jesus R

Jesus, you're wrong. We pay VAT over Price + Shipping Costs. After that, if unlucky, we pay import duty.

Example USB PCie:

$350 + $33 (shipping) = $383. $383 + 22% VAT = $467,26. At a rate of 0.7614 this is 357,17 euro. After this we have the risk to pay additional import duty (12.5 - 20%). We pay in Europe 359 euro. My conclusion is that importing from the USA to Europe is not attractive. I suggest we end this conversation now as it is leading us nowhere :-)

• 2 weeks later...

My Zuma Experience

After building the Lagoon first, I finished building my Zuma today. During this build I encountered some problems:

The 12V DC cable of the picoPSU-150-XT (white/black) is too short, so one should do something about that before adding the picoPSU to the mobo.

When installing the CPU cooler assembly one has to ensure that the 4 spring loaded screws align correctly with the CPU cooler mounting nuts. I thought I did, but no. I had to remove the entire mobo with heat pipes attached to reinsert one mounting nut. These 4 nuts are attached to the underside of the mobo with self-adhesive tape. Next time I think I use some glue.

It was impossible for me to install software etc. from the Intel DVD that comes with the mobo. When running the install program I just got an empty window, so nothing to choose from. I solved this by selecting the download center. This way it is even possible to let Intel check what is needed and install it automatically. Video drivers and bios update one has to do by hand.

Windows 8 Pro is available in Europe for around 50 euro now. When installing Windows 8 Pro on an empty ssd all goes well. At the end activation appears to be impossible as the installer does not see a previous version of Windows. When you install Windows 8 Pro a second time, after formatting the partition where you installed Windows 8 Pro the first time, all goes well and Windows 8 Pro gets activated.

I hope that my little adventure is of any help for people considering to build the Zuma.

Today I received 2 SotM SATA filters for use with my Zuma. The filters are Type II rev. 1.6c. When I use these filters the Zuma won't boot. I have also an older SotM SATA filter rev.3.0. When I use this filter my Zuma boots normally. My question is now how to solve this problem with the new filters. Maybe some setting in the Bios should be changed? I don't know. Perhaps someone can advise me here? Thanks.

A few days ago I posted about a problem I have with the SATA II filter. As I got no response I asked SotM Korea. I got the following reply: "The following issue has been reported occasionally, and we think it's related to the SATA signal line.The old version of SATA filter doesn't have a filter on SATA signal line, but the new SATA filter II(type II rev. 1.6c) has a filter on SATA signal line, and it occurs such a problem with a specific mainboard which supports sata 3.0 and cables. So if you can, please change the SATA cable and try it again, I recommend you to use normal SATA cable which is certified and not handmade.

It is strange that I have this problem and others (i.e. Chris, see the photo's) not as I used exactly the same components.

However, what strikes me is the fact that in the SATA II filter there is also a filter in the signal line. I wonder if this is desirable. The old SATA filter has no filter in the signal line.