IGNORED

TEAC UD-501: Dual Mono DAC with DSD Streaming

OK, that one. In PCM1795 the DSD filter is analog FIR filter and is part of the actual D/A section. There is no option to turn it off, just possibility to choose the steepness (1-4) and the corner frequency.
Oh, didn't know that it was like that. I always thought the filters were implemented after the output of the d/a chip in the analog stage.Thanks for clarifying that.

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

Valenroy,

Do you have the option to listen without any of the FIRs enabled?

So as you are aware, there are 3 options for the PCM digital filters:- OFF, SHARP, SLOW

The surprising thing is the option to turn off digital filtering for PCM material.

As for the Analog DSD FIR filters. there are no options for it to be switched off I am afraid. From what I am aware of, there MUST be a filter to filter out the DSD ultrasonic noise which may cause damage to electronics which are not capable of handling it.

The English version of the manual is up, do take a look for more specifics:-

http://www.teac-audio.eu/downloads/2/4/4/0/8/Manual_UD-501__EFS_.pdf

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

I have yet to do the comparisons yet but looking at what I have on hand at the moment. I realized that I do have a balanced pre-amp function on my Audio-GD NFB6 headphone amplifier. I didn't even realized that it serves as a fully balanced pre-amp as well besides driving my Audez'e headphones in balanced mode. Imagine all that for only USD450 excluding shipping. That should be interesting! Now that my Missus is out of town for 2 weeks, perhaps I can finally find some time to do a proper A/B between the Mytek and Teac. Do note that I am just someone who appreciates well-reproduced music and I am not or will not pretend to sound like a professional equipment reviewer, so whatever findings I have will be reported in its simplest layman terms.

Anyway, I am reiterating a point I mentioned earlier. If the TEAC is indeed retailing at USD799 as what Ted had pointed out, I seriously wouldn't hesitate too much in securing one because when I am using the TEAC, I didn't miss or feel that the TEAC is inferior to the Mytek in any way at all. In fact, I feel that the in-built headphone amplifier section is subjectively better than the Mytek's and the music flowing from the TEAC is very engaging and non-fatiguing. Of course, if you decide to partner it with an external HP amplifier, it will take the music to another level. With a high quality built-finish for USD799, which is half the price of the Mytek, and with DXD and 2xDSD decoding capabilities, I think it is really a bargain if I may call it. That is of course if you can make do without the pre-amp function; multiple pc inputs; internal clock sync; remote function; etc...

This *is* exciting. Why? Because the Japanese are entering the DSD DAC market with this product. Prices are coming down folks !!! DSD for the masses! You know at sub $800 suddenly its possible to buy a DSD capable DAC to add to your set up without swapping out your previous PCM DAC... kinda like when the first competitively priced SACD players became available... This product is huge IMHO...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

This *is* exciting. Why? Because the Japanese are entering the DSD DAC market with this product. Prices are coming down folks !!! DSD for the masses! You know at sub $800 suddenly its possible to buy a DSD capable DAC to add to your set up without swapping out your previous PCM DAC... kinda like when the first competitively priced SACD players became available... This product is huge IMHO...

Yes, exactly...and my dealer buddy is amazed at the sound of both this DAC and the accompanyying integrated amp. He is buying both so i will get to hear soon. :)

Does your dealer buddy say what the retail price is for these puppies? I've read some highly contradictory info on this detail.

The Teac rep at CES told Ted The Dac will cost $799. See some posts above.

In the UK, ALL the products in this series will cost 699GBP.

Does your dealer buddy say what the retail price is for these puppies? I've read some highly contradictory info on this detail.

The US dealer repeated the US list prices...$799 each for the DAC, integrated and hp amp; $899 for the cd player/transport.

The US dealer repeated the US list prices...$799 each for the DAC, integrated and hp amp; $899 for the cd player/transport.

Hi, I am new to CA. I contacted Brian Tucker yesterday as Stew suggested (sorry Stew, could not remember at the time who that was that gave the advice...) and he confirmed that he could not sell outside of his area and indicated that the $799 price was a misprint; the actual price is $959. I could not find anybody in my area (SOCAL), using the TEAC dealer locator, who knew anything about this DAC though. I was able to contact a dealer who said that he might be able to order it for me, but that since it was new and he did not know anything about it, he was not committing to have it in stock and I would have to work with TEAC to work out return and support conditions. I guess the product is just too new and it seems that TEAC has not done a good job at getting their act together before offering it in this market.

I looked up the English version of the owner's manual that valenroy (thanks!) posted a link to, but could not find anything about how one gets the DAC firmware updated. Is that through the driver software? Does anyone know?

Also I installed the TEAC Audio Player (looks nice) and saw that it is only documented in Japanese, which again makes me wonder about TEAC's readiness to support the product.

I'm trying to get my hands on one to verify if it works with my software, but it doesn't seem to be any easier in Europe either. There doesn't seem to be any official distributor in Finland at all, and no publicly available contact point at Teac side that would respond...

Well, maybe I'll be able to find it on eBay or something some day.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Great Miska. Thanks!!! If it works with your player that's huge. There is nothing in the manual saying what DSD files are supported. Or PCM for that matter. I can only assume it will handle any async USB connected library. But as most CA veterans here will confess, the proof is in the pudding so to speak :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^Even better. This DAC, with a cubox. Running your software. Via USB. Now *that* would be something!!!! Now we would be talking!