IGNORED

Recommendations for ADC with RCA analogue inputs to convert vinyl to 24 / 96 digital?

I would appreciate advice on what to purchase (about £1000 maximum) in the UK that gives good quality digital output.

I would prefer to have an external box rather than a PCI sound card. All the quality devices I've found so far have balanced or jack inputs. Output will be fed to a MacPro running Peak Pro for editing and mastering: creating and writing 24/96 data files (WAV, FLAC or AIFF) to DVD-R.

Thanks in advance

David

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Thanks for the advice.

I've investigated these: the Duet appears to provide the sound quality I desire, but as with the other devices I looked at has no RCA phono inputs. Dan, you mention an adapter cable - I assume this has a 1/4 inch jack on one end, to plug into the "unbalanced high impedance instrument input", and an RCA phono on the other. Did you have any level matching problems i.e. is the sensitivity of this input compatible with the output from a disc phono amplifier?

I've found a gold-plated 1/4"-jack-to-RCA-phone adaptor on sale at Maplins, which would enable me to use my existing RCA phono-to-RCA phono leads.

David

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

OK I've now looked at the Edirol interfaces in more detail. The UA25 offers similar facilities to the Apogee Duet but USB rather than firewire connection. (I have been using the very basic Edirol UA1 for some time as a means of getting 32kHz PCM into a Mac Pro as core audio cannot handle this, and have had no problems.)

Looking further into the Edirol products I see the FA-66 has 6 inputs, 2 of which are RCA phono, complete with ganged sensitivity control - this may be my best bet.

I'll take a trip to Dawsons who stock both the FA-66 and Apogee Duet.

Thanks for the suggestions

David