psme

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Lumin App > Gear Icon > My Lumin > Options > Analog Audio Output Level > Switch from "Normal" to "Low"

Problem solved. No need to mess with volume control.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Ah, but then of us who are OCD and refuse to use the volume control thingy in the Lumin app because we have been told that the use of that volume control can lead to a degradation in SQ also wonder if going from Norm to Low may also do the same thing. Is going from Norm to Low the same as cranking the volume control in the Lumin app down or not?  I guess your own ears should be the final judge in any event.

Lumin X1, iFi PRO iDSD, iFi PRO iCAN, Questyle Twelve (Master), Marantz AV8805, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, Ultimate Ears UE-18, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

34 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

Ah, but then of us who are OCD and refuse to use the volume control thingy in the Lumin app because we have been told that the use of that volume control can lead to a degradation in SQ also wonder if going from Norm to Low may also do the same thing. Is going from Norm to Low the same as cranking the volume control in the Lumin app down or not?  I guess your own ears should be the final judge in any event.

Very different. One is a voltage adjustment and one is a digital volume control that chops off bits to reduce level. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

Thanks for the information. Chopping off bits bad!  Those of you who are self-quarantining like we are can find more time to enjoy the music!

Lumin X1, iFi PRO iDSD, iFi PRO iCAN, Questyle Twelve (Master), Marantz AV8805, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, Ultimate Ears UE-18, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I think I would rather use a well implemented digital volume control than an analog attenuator, particularly if it's only a reduction of a few db.

18 minutes ago, rossb said:

I think I would rather use a well implemented digital volume control than an analog attenuator, particularly if it's only a reduction of a few db.

A 24 or 32 bit attenuator can be pretty dang good. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

Maybe I’ve missed something but when looking at an album in the lumin app with the tracks displayed. How to I play the full album? Only way I can figure out is to back out to the albums view and long press to add entire album to playlist. 

on Linn app there is a “play” button on the inside of album view to play the whole album. 

DA2128A2-EE36-4516-A0F7-8B657FD4C024.png

If you are in the view with a list of tracks with the album title above them, please tap and hold the album title.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

12 hours ago, wklie said:

If you are in the view with a list of tracks with the album title above them, please tap and hold the album title.

im only using Qobuz and Tidal, in the view below there is only one place with “album title” which the blue arrow is pointing to. Holding that down does nothing. 

A9AFAA1D-359E-477E-904B-9EB048AFC2DA.jpeg

click on gear icon > scroll down to Group by album in Playlist > click "ON".

Now try to click on album display. That should chose the entire album's tracks. If you have chosen "double tap" this should allow multiple ways to move the chosen tracks.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

2 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

click on gear icon > scroll down to Group by album in Playlist > click "ON".

Now try to click on album display. That should chose the entire album's tracks. If you have chosen "double tap" this should allow multiple ways to move the chosen tracks.

I do have that turned on but 

Problem is not the playlist section. It’s getting a full album INTO the playlist while viewing the album with all its tracks listed.

basically if I’m viewing the album with tracks.... I have to back out to all albums view, then long press to add the whole album. I want to be able to add the whole album to the playlist from the track listing view of the album

DC0926C4-5C91-44C0-8762-6000CB50326C.png

I missed the part of your original post that says only "Tidal and Qobuz". It has been over a year since I was a Tidal subscriber but as I recall I never had the problem you describe. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Kray said:

I do have that turned on but 

Problem is not the playlist section. It’s getting a full album INTO the playlist while viewing the album with all its tracks listed.

basically if I’m viewing the album with tracks.... I have to back out to all albums view, then long press to add the whole album. I want to be able to add the whole album to the playlist from the track listing view of the album

DC0926C4-5C91-44C0-8762-6000CB50326C.png

I hope I understand you correctly.  If you have double tap engaged, click/highlight the first track, when the tracks are displayed as above,  and several option buttons should open at the bottom of the page.  One of them allows you to select all tracks and you can then decide with the other buttons to do things like to play your selection immediately, or add to the bottom of an existing playlist.  You can also decide to insert a new selection after the current track playing.  You can also when highlighting just select the tracks you want to play and follow with any of the options in the  buttons at the bottom.

LOUNGE: Lab12 Gordian Power Cond.>Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 AC2600 WI-FI Extender>Kasimo 3mtr. CAT 8 Ethernet cable>Lumin UI Mini Trans.(using Leedh volume)/Ext. PliXiR BDC Elite 12v 4amp Linear PSU>Bluejeans Belden 1694A BNC/spdif Interconnect>iFi spdif iPurifier>MHDTLabs Orchid DAC>Townshend DCT 300 RCA Interconnects>Amplifier Lab12 Integre4 (Tung Sol KT150 output tubes) >Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Audium Comp 7 Passive Spkrs. Schumann Resonance gen.

LIVING ROOM:- iFi AC iPurifiers x2>Bluesound Node2i (as streamer only)/Qobuz Studio>Bluejeans Belden 1694A spdif. interconnect>iFi Retro 50/LS3.5 Speakers. Schumann Resonance Generator. 

@Kray

If I understand you correctly the information you are looking for you find under support on how to use the app on Lumïn homepage. Some extractions:

app-view.png.b06913b623716969463ce2ec9a1dfb72.png

First of all you chose the view. The box to the left you come to the album level, second box you see the albums and tunes on the albums. Tic the one to the left and then tic the album.

Then you see the following pictos shown at the bottom.

app-add-to-queue.png.7fcb6fe86d18de3fffe65a43648938ab.png

If you tic nr 4 from the left, you clear the playlist (if anything is there) and all tunes from the chosen album will show up in the playlist and play all of them

- If you tic the first from the left, it will only place one tune in the playlist and play it.

- Then you can chose another tune from the same or another album and tic the scond box and it will be played after the tune you play now.

- You can also chose another album to be played after the on you are playing now. Then you chose a new album and tick the third box from the left.

The flexibility is superb, but to really get it I advice you to read carefully the support pages on how to use the app. It is necissary as the Lumïn app has many options that are not so common elsewhere. Once you have got it I'm sure you will like it.

Ok so I see the single tap vs double tap option which technically works....(Thanks @Ropet)

I’d have to click one song, then choose the “select all” button, then whichever “play” button

For ease of use I’d think there could/should be a simple “play all/album” or whatever from the track list view. The Linn app has this (see my post above with pic)

36EF7D98-1F11-4931-B5B4-7E41B70FDF19.jpeg

1BD9BF9B-D9A0-435D-AC43-2C5207396E24.jpeg

can I watch movies and output sound through lumin on airplay, through a lan connection.

@wklie, for the Lumin U1, I tried to play DSD256 file via Roon, and there's silence. DSD128 and below works fine.  In the Custom sample rate on the Lumin app, the max rate is DSD128. Switched off all custom rates and still silence. 

Config 

Lumin U1 USB #1 and USB #2 -> Acoustic Revive split USB power and signal cable -> USB 'B" input Accuphase DP-950 DAC

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@One and a half I'm afraid Accuphase DAC does not support Linux native DSD256.  Therefore you're limited to DSD64 and DSD128 via DoP.

Lumin cannot resample DSD256 music by itself.  You can use Roon to downsample DSD256 to DSD128.  Enable "Native DSD Processing" (in spite of the terminology, it is a different thing from Linux native DSD).

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 3/27/2020 at 10:14 PM, Kray said:

Ok so I see the single tap vs double tap option which technically works....(Thanks @Ropet)

I’d have to click one song, then choose the “select all” button, then whichever “play” button

For ease of use I’d think there could/should be a simple “play all/album” or whatever from the track list view. The Linn app has this (see my post above with pic)

36EF7D98-1F11-4931-B5B4-7E41B70FDF19.jpeg

1BD9BF9B-D9A0-435D-AC43-2C5207396E24.jpeg

I can’t get the LUMIN app a play a full album and I’ve read the support page multiple times.

How can it be so hard just to select to play in full on Qobuz, everything I do just plays a single track. I’d to know how it’s done.

im using Linn Kazoo which makes it really simple

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

So I think I’ve cracked it

in Qobuz from the list of albums press on the one you want, from the pop up select the first icon with a long press then track one is added shortly followed by the rest, seems slower than on local tracks.

Setup:

Next question, Qobuz favourites sort A to Z rather than added date?

Setup:

7 hours ago, keeper said:

How can it be so hard just to select to play in full on Qobuz, everything I do just plays a single track. I’d to know how it’s done.

Please tap and hold the album art.  Some buttons will appear to allow you to add the whole album.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Ok, this is a pretty tough topic, but I’m looking for a Bridge between and my Sonic Transnsport i5 music server/ MinimServer (DLNA server) and my DAC. My three current top of the list potential candidates are:

1. Sonore UltraRendu powered by Uptone audio Ultracap LPS1.2  power supply.
  2. SOtM SOtM 200 ultra Neo (special edition)  powered by Uptone audio Ultracap LPS1.2  power supply.
  3. Lumen U1 mini with S booster power supply.

I’m trying to avoid purchasing a pile of boxes. By the time I were to install and fully break in and evaluate all these options, each on it's own merit, any return policy’s would long have expired.  Audio opinions vary pretty widely, however, I’m hoping there might be a general consensus out there regarding significant leaps in performance between one of these combinations over the other. In judging these differences assume that I would be cable up each optimally to the archive it’s best sonic performance.  I’m most concerned about overall refinement but I’m focused on transparency, image density and tonal balance. Any help would be appreciated.

>EtherRegen>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Zenith MKII SE>Mojo Audio Mystique Evo DAC> Wireworld platinum 8 balanced interconnect>Aesthetic Mimas> Audience SX speaker cables>Magnapan 1.7‘Transparent Audio ethernet cable