psme

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Rate this topic

I had multiple failure reports of this brand of switch from our users and Roon forum.  I also have a failing switch of this brand under my desk that requires a power cycle every few months.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

If you put the Lumin in place of a working device on the switch in the Audio Room then the Router will still be looking for the device you took out.

When it happened to me with the Teac NT-505 (also runs Lumin software)  I had to turn the Teac off, go into the router settings and tell it to forget the Teac as a device then re-boot everything in order.  It then gave the Teac a new IP address and everything has worked fine since then.  Why that worked I don't know but I tried everything up that point including hooking the Lumin straight to the router but nothing worked until I removed it and let the network find it again from scratch.  

6 hours ago, JMD54 said:

I had to turn the Teac off, go into the router settings and tell it to forget the Teac as a device then re-boot everything in order.

What model of router is that?  I've not seen this forget function in consumer routers before.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Isn't the IP address "tied" to the unit itself? In other words, you can move a component to a different location and the Router will usually retain the same IP address. Yes, the Router will hold the IP address for the Teac (but not indefinitely) but should assign a new IP address for any new component that it detects on the network. The Router doesn't know physically where the component is.

8 hours ago, JMD54 said:

If you put the Lumin in place of a working device on the switch in the Audio Room then the Router will still be looking for the device you took out.

Sonore ultraRendu (MPD), Sonore ultraDigital, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, RealTraps acoustic treatments

If you have assigned a static IP address (via the online admin for the router) - then the router will recognize the unit (Teac)via its unique MAC-address, and keep assigning it the same ip, even though you plug it into different ports on the router.

But when you introduce a switch into the mix, the switch looks for shortest/fastest paths on boot up- and now “remembers the path” for any device attached to it until Reboot, for Each Port - so if you used to have a Teac on port 1, it expects to find the Teac on that port, and will ignore the LUMIN newly attached to the same port!

To remedy: Delete Static IP for old device if any, restart router And Switch and plug LUMIN in, once up and running you can assign a static IP for the LUMIN if you do desire

Best regards from Denmark

An audio manufacturer recently stated their preference for StarTech SFP module in their (non-Lumin) setup based on subjective SQ comparison.

So I've tested Lumin X1 compatibility (which works normally as expected) with a pair of StarTech 1000BASE-LX 1310nm SFP modules:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Cisco-GLC-LH-SM-Compatible-Module/dp/B00BUBW2SQ

along with this LC-LC duplex single mode Corning fiber:
https://www.fs.com/products/68296.html

to this Cisco SG112-24-NA SFP switch:

https://www.amazon.com/SYSTEMS-24-Port-Gigabit-Switch-SG11224NA/dp/B00VPT8XSQ

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

If you use the Lumin app (or other apps) to mute any model of Lumin player, its front panel display will show MUTE.  This helps the occasion when one is wondering why there is no sound output.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks I see it now. Its on the bottom where the file format is shown. I was expecting something larger, like the Lumin Airplay display.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I upgraded to new firmware and my U1 now has major lag. When I choose something to play it takes about a minute to start playing. Then it will just randomly stop playing music at times and take anywhere from 1-3 minutes to start playing again. Anyone have similar issues? Suggestions? Is there a way to revert to previous version of firmware?

5 hours ago, loudog said:

I upgraded to new firmware and my U1 now has major lag. When I choose something to play it takes about a minute to start playing. Then it will just randomly stop playing music at times and take anywhere from 1-3 minutes to start playing again. Anyone have similar issues? Suggestions? Is there a way to revert to previous version of firmware?

Which DAC are you using?  And what connection method - USB?

Please verify that the U1 is running firmware 11.5b.

Please power down both the U1 and your DAC.  Power up the DAC, then power up the U1.

If this still does not solve the problem, please use Lumin app to factory reset the Lumin U1, inside the About function.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

30 minutes ago, loudog said:

App seems to not be connecting with the U1 consistently 

Please power down the U1, mobile device, Chord, NAS, and all network devices.  Power cycle the WiFi router and all network switches.  Wait for 5 minutes, then power up the NAS, Chord, mobile device, and lastly the U1.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

The current design of Lumin (when not using Roon) is to apply a second-level volume from the iOS AirPlay device source, so that iOS app (e.g. YouTube) volume can be reduced by iPad volume buttons (from the first-level volume in Lumin app or Roon that is treated as the maximum volume). This means that when using AirPlay actual volume will never be greater than the volume set in Lumin app.

I now have an alternative implementation of AirPlay volume (no longer as second-level) such that setting AirPlay to maximum volume implies Lumin will be at maximum volume, for Lumin X1 / T2 / U1 / U1 MINI. If there is anyone who want to try this beta firmware, please let me know.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead