psme

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Rate this topic

I’m not claiming there is a difference in sound, I’m just relying on other people’s feedback in numerous forums that they hear a difference.   I don’t know if they were engaging DSP or not.

Main System
Mark Levinson 585 Integrated Amplifier, PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, Auralic Altair Music Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra 1 Speakers, Definitive Technology PF15TL Subwoofer, Audioquest CV-8 Speaker Cables, Morrow Audio XLR Interconnects, PS Audio Statement Power Cords

Office System
Edge i3 Integrated Amplifier, Job 225 Amplifier, Sony HAPZ1ES Digital Audio Player, Auralic Aires Mini Music Streamer w/ 1TB SSD, Auralic Vega DAC, McIntosh MR7803 Tuner, KEF LS50 Speakers, Audioquest, CV-8 Speaker Cables

17 minutes ago, sfseay said:

I’m not claiming there is a difference in sound, I’m just relying on other people’s feedback in numerous forums that they hear a difference.   I don’t know if they were engaging DSP or not.

Using/engaging Roon’s DSP will make changes to the digital stream, and therefore may change the way it sounds at the endpoint.

If Roon’s DSP is switched off/unused, then Roon will stream everything natively/unchanged, so Roon will have no effect at all on SQ.

6 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Is my U1 sending the bits to roon and then back to the streamer  and then to my dac? 

By default Roon is bit perfect, i.e. the digital bits are not changed.

The path is conceptually like this:

Tidal server -> (internet) -> ISP -> (modem or something else) -> home router -> Roon Core -> Lumin U1 (MINI) -> DAC

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

So can we conclude that the consensus is that unless there is something else in the chain like DSP enabled or some other way the bits are being "modified" the claim that roon affects sound quality in a system that "resolves higher" relative to the native Lumin app is largely just audio bravo sierra? 

I don't think there is any consensus in any audio topic. 😃

There are various heated discussions about SQ differences among bit-perfect (no DSP) setups in Roon forum,  interested readers may go there to find some more information.

This is not unlike SQ difference discussions of different Windows playback software, Windows WASAPI vs ASIO, AudiophileOptimizer / fidelizer vs no optimization, Windows vs Linux, audiophile switches, femto network card, bridged setup, etc.

I think most users using Roon do not hear a difference as compared to some other software.  Please don't worry about it.

(For those that do hear a difference, they may try network isolation such as the fiber media converters discussed a few pages before, and other tweaks.  For those using USB DAC directly attached to Roon Core, they may consider tweaks like USB cleaning products and LPS.  I also suggest Roon users to use a fanless Roon Core.)

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I use a Roon Nucleus as the Roon Core, which feeds my A1. I have integrated my local (USB) HDD music, with both Qobuz and Tidal within Roon to ‘feed’ my A1 as an endpoint.

Don’t get me wrong - I think the Lumin control app on its is the absolute best there is. I have used this, with two L1’s on its own for the last year or so with absolutely sublime results. The ‘game changer’ for me was Roon 1.6, with Qobuz integration. I have subscribed to Qobuz Sublime+ for a couple of years now, and whilst ever Roon failed to integrate Qobuz, I wasn’t interested in it.

But with 1.6, I could now integrate everything within Roon. And whilst the cost of a Nucleus, plus a lifetime subscription to Roon ain’t cheap, it’s certainly worth it IMO. The level of integration, and the sophistication of the GUI is sublime. And whilst I’m not ‘driving’ the A1 using the Lumin app, being Roon Ready, the A1 functions perfectly, and sounds as sublime as it always has.

1 hour ago, MikeyH said:

So can we conclude that the consensus is that unless there is something else in the chain like DSP enabled or some other way the bits are being "modified" the claim that roon affects sound quality in a system that "resolves higher" relative to the native Lumin app is largely just audio bravo sierra? 

Please ask again with at least four sentences instead of one.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@Wklie

I'd like your opinion please on using the D1 as a preamp to directly feed my power amp through balanced inputs from the D1 balanced outputs. I'm currently using my Anthem AVR as a preamp through the RCA outputs/inputs. (no balanced connections available). Can I use the D1 as a preamp and control the volume with the D1? Would the balanced outputs provide a possible sound advantage over the RCA outputs if used in this way?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your insight

2 hours ago, Chiller said:

Can I use the D1 as a preamp and control the volume with the D1? Would the balanced outputs provide a possible sound advantage over the RCA outputs if used in this way?

For Lumin, XLR output usually sounds better than RCA output because Lumin uses a true balanced design.  It is possible to connect a Lumin player directly to the power amp and use the Lumin volume, although I believe most of our users use a preamp.  We used a Lumin X1 direct to Lumin classs AB AMP setup in Munich High End 2018, and I believe we'd use the same setup this year.

In the past there were some discussions about connecting a CD player (not Lumin) direct to amp - I believe most people liked having a preamp.  Please let me know the results if you try it this way.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

14 hours ago, wklie said:

In the past there were some discussions about connecting a CD player (not Lumin) direct to amp - I believe most people liked having a preamp.  Please let me know the results if you try it this way.

HEck I would like to connect a CD player ( transport) to a Lumin, but thats another maybe future product - hint hint :)

The Truth Is Out There

My new Lumin X1 arrived today. This is my 4th Lumin so it isn't unfamiliar. I have it connected to a Luxman L-509X via both XLR and RCA.

The Luxman is working fine via other devices going into the RCA on back but not when the X1 is connected. The X1 front display shows it is playing both from the Lumin App and from Roon as well as inside the apps themselves.

But I can't get any sound. I have power cycled all of it multiple times. I have looked over and over the X1 options. I can't see anything that might be amiss....but no sound.

Any thoughts?

Put down the remote and pick up a musical instrument.....no really, learn to play something.  Your brain and spirit will thank you... :)

Gone Fishing....

Factory reset and it seems to be working! 

Put down the remote and pick up a musical instrument.....no really, learn to play something.  Your brain and spirit will thank you... :)

Gone Fishing....

2 hours ago, Evo-No-Revo said:

I have looked over and over the X1 options. I can't see anything that might be amiss....but no sound.

With X1 and T2, audio output needs to be chosen in the setup: analog, SPDIF or USB.  As part of the QC process all output modes will be checked.  Normally it would be reset back to analog before shipping, but this is complicated by the cached (delayed) nature of data saving.  We have been taking steps to avoid this, and added the factory reset function in the Lumin app a few days ago.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

10 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

can you go digital out of the Lumin into the Lux?

No, I don't see digital inputs or integrated DAC listed in the L-509X specifications.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Nevermind for the moment....

Gone Fishing....

On 12/19/2018 at 9:40 AM, wklie said:

A long time ago we already discovered the way we use Tidal API does not work for Masters folder if country code is set to Italy.

@Hypercell and other Lumin Tidal users in Italy, please update to the latest Lumin app on iOS.  We have included a workaround but no way to test it.  Please check whether you can see the contents under Tidal Masters folder in Lumin app now.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Italy here and.... Masters folder is there (with Playlists and Albums inside)

Qnap HS-251+ NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 (Roon ROCK - powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Lumin U1 Mini (powered by a Vinnie Rossi Mini Pure-DC-4EVR LPS) >  UpTone Audio ISO Regen (powered by an Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2) > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier + First Watt J2 by Nelson Pass power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

16 hours ago, wklie said:

@Hypercell and other Lumin Tidal users in Italy, please update to the latest Lumin app on iOS.  We have included a workaround but no way to test it.  Please check whether you can see the contents under Tidal Masters folder in Lumin app now.

Hello Peter,

updated the app and Masters are back 👍

thanks a lot

Maurizio

On 3/2/2019 at 8:53 PM, kelly200269 said:

Alan Sircom has just reviewed the X1 in the latest issue Hi-Fi+.

Predictably, he loves it 👍

Thanks.  The issue is #169 March 2019:

https://www.hifiplus.com/publications/hi-fi-plus/

To say I'm impressed by the LUMIN X1 is something of an understatement. I am blown away by its performance.

I'm checking whether we can get a soft copy of the review to distribute for free.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@BlueSkyy For the HDMI handshake discussed earlier,  we've found a way to improve it for Denon / Marantz AV receivers.  This will go into the next firmware for S1 / A1 / T1.  If you're interested in testing it, I can also send you a beta firmware.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I am getting ready to trade up from my S1 to the latest Lumin flagship.  My S1 is about four years old, literally in mint condition and has never been touched by human hands (I always used kid gloves to handle it) and I am wondering what a reasonable resale value I should put on it.

Thanks for your thoughts!