IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I have a question on the most efficient way to update the library when adding music to a large library. I am running Minimserver and MinimWatch with the Lumin App on my iPad and Lumin A1. My library has over 7000 albums and 50K songs. It seems to take a very long time for the new music to show up.

Typically I do a rescan of the library from Minimwatch, then when I open the Lumin app it takes a long time to see the new album. I also tried doing "Update Library" from the Lumin app after a rescan from Minimwatch but that did not cause the new album to be seen. So I tried a "Reload Library" from the Lumin app and it is taking over one hour (still not done) to reload the library.

So my question is what process steps should I follow when adding music to a large library to make the music available to play most quickly? Thanks

4 hours ago, Roy Boy said:

I have a question on the most efficient way to update the library when adding music to a large library. I am running Minimserver and MinimWatch with the Lumin App on my iPad and Lumin A1. My library has over 7000 albums and 50K songs. It seems to take a very long time for the new music to show up.

Typically I do a rescan of the library from Minimwatch, then when I open the Lumin app it takes a long time to see the new album. I also tried doing "Update Library" from the Lumin app after a rescan from Minimwatch but that did not cause the new album to be seen. So I tried a "Reload Library" from the Lumin app and it is taking over one hour (still not done) to reload the library.

So my question is what process steps should I follow when adding music to a large library to make the music available to play most quickly? Thanks

Hello Roy Boy,

I have A1 and minimserver as well on the NAS and 4K albums. Every time I add some album on the NAS, I just run the rescan with the Lumin app and after max a couple of minutes the new additions are available. Hope this help

http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-t2.html

Lumin T2 replaces the previous Lumin A1 and T1.

The essence of T2 is: Dual ES9028PRO, DSD512, same processors and FPGA from X1, analog output stage and clocking system derived from X1. The chassis is shaped like the original A1 but is done in a way to fit the T2 pricing. MQA Roon Ready Qobuz Tidal Spotify Connect TuneIn features as before. An internal power supply is used.

In addition to the balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA analog outputs, T2 inherits the X1 feature of being able to be used as a streamer to output to an external DAC via USB or BNC-SPDIF.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

1 hour ago, wklie said:

http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-t2.html

Lumin T2 replaces the previous Lumin A1 and T1.

The essence of T2 is: Dual ES9028PRO, DSD512, same processors and FPGA from X1, analog output stage and clocking system derived from X1. The chassis is shaped like the original A1 but is done in a way to fit the T2 pricing. MQA Roon Ready Qobuz Tidal Spotify Connect TuneIn features as before. An internal power supply is used.

In addition to the balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA analog outputs, T2 inherits the X1 feature of being able to be used as a streamer to output to an external DAC via USB or BNC-SPDIF.

A much appreciated release indeed.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

• 3 weeks later...

A user VoicesInMyHead shared his early impressions of Lumin T2 in another forum https://www.audioshark.org/lumin-169/lumin-t2-15692-page6.html#post260189

the D2 blew all my expectations and I’ve been very happy with it, but when the T2 was finally announced I just couldn’t resist it as it seemed to be all I wanted in the first place.

Immediately when I connected it yesterday I could tell this was a big step up from the D2. As expected when climbing upwards a product ladder it’s just more of everything, larger soundstage, more details, more 3-dimensional, deeper bass etc. But something that struck me early was just how effortless and relaxed the music seemed to flow, like the easiest thing in the world. Music feels vivid, more real and intense. I’m trying to avoid words as analogue and organic, but maybe that’s exactly what it is. It moves me.

These are still early impressions and I know from the D2 that some burn in time will only do it good and I expect the same here. I’m upsampling to DSD256 with Roon as my current server can’t handle DSD512, but a new one capable of that will hopefully arrive before the weekend.

I have no idea how it compares to the T1 as I’ve never tried it, I have no doubt that it’s better though as there would be no reason for a new version otherwise, but if it’s worth the money to upgrade I don’t know, but I would like to think so!

If someone is currently using a separate DAC and some other streaming solution, having high quality cables to and between these, combining it all into a very VERY nice one-box package with high quality streaming and fabulous DAC, then the T2 would be considered a bargain and almost pay for itself by just getting rid of the unnecessary boxes and cables. To me the T2 is a real winner.

I like it.

A LOT!!!

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, dakroeker said:

looking at the app it doesn’t seem to be capable of random play thru my whole library.

Lumin app does not do this due to limitations of OpenHome, but I believe Roon does.  Lumin players and transports are Roon Ready.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

5 hours ago, One and a half said:

@wklie, here's a news article from Phile web, Jan 25, 2019 it's a kit that accepts FOC with a media converter outputting Ethernet direct (in this case) to a T2, a special limited offer.

I believe that's supplied by our Japanese distributor so I don't have the details.

If you're interested in optic fiber based isolation for Ethernet, a dealer has nice things to say about this device:

https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=15781&p=260181&viewfull=1#post260181

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

A cheaper alternative to do fiber network isolation is to use a pair of fiber media converters (FMC).

Lumin T2 / D2 / M1 / U1: Use a pair of TP-Link MC210CS

Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 : Use a pair of TP-Link MC110CS (Note: MC210CS is not compatible)

Between the pair of FMC you need a single mode SC-SC duplex fiber:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3m-SC-SC-duplex-9-125um-Corning-ClearCurve-single-mode-bend-insensitive-fiber/232757309790?hash=item36316ab15e:g:ixgAAOSwcJ1a7Oct:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

The Lumin-side FMC needs to be driven by a LPS, an inexpensive one is:

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?search_type=jamecoall&catalogId=10001&freeText=1953639&langId=-1&productId=1953639&storeId=10001&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter... is there something "weird" going on here or...?

I'm quite sure my U1 Mini "does something" every day at about 9PM: it usually is sleeping, at that time, and I see "Network Error" showing briefly on its display then last played track shows and, after 15 minutes, as per settings, it goes back to sleep mode 😶

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

16 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

I'm quite sure my U1 Mini "does something" every day at about 9PM: it usually is sleeping, at that time, and I see "Network Error" showing briefly on its display then last played track shows and, after 15 minutes, as per settings, it goes back to sleep mode 😶

The U1 MINI does not currently have any programmed event that is triggered by a clock.  Your transient Network Error would imply a case of Ethernet link down.  I would suspect some sort of electricity fluctuation causing your network switch or router to misbehave, or the switch or router is dying.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

😐

Ok, thank you Peter: I'll check my switche(s) and FMCs

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

35 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

Peter... is there something "weird" going on here or...?

Could it be your router which renews your lease every 24 hours?

22 minutes ago, Easterman said:
59 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

Could it be your router which renews your lease every 24 hours?

haven't thought of this: will check, thank you :)

headphones system:

On 2/1/2019 at 11:54 AM, pl_svn said:

haven't thought of this: will check, thank you :)

I recently went thru all sorts of hell after 4 power cuts in one evening, for days after it was hit and miss getting access to my Lumin, or the A1 loading 1,2 maybe 4 songs from an album - turned out it was clashing IP addresses, even though I have one reserved as static for the A1 - the router had assigned the same address to Philips hue bridge... Restsrting, resetting, etc arghhhhh!!!

no issues, here, when playing

only noticed, four or five times, always at about the same hour in the evening, that "network Error" popping out very briefly when the U1 Mini was in sleep mode

headphones system:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 6:19 PM, One and a half said:

@wklie, here's a news article from Phile web, Jan 25, 2019 it's a kit that accepts FOC with a media converter outputting Ethernet direct (in this case) to a T2, a special limited offer.

Can you tell me what make the media converter is, and what is the power source? Could this kit be available in other countries?

Assuming our Japanese distributor supplied all the optical network hardware for this review:

https://online.stereosound.co.jp/_ct/17250487

Then it may be TP-Link MC220L - just a guess.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Roon 1.6, and the ability to integrate both my Tidal and Qobuz accounts, together with the library on my L1, has literally transformed how much I’m listening to my A1 now. However good the Lumin app is, once you integrate everything with Roon, it’s just a joy to use and listen, and this combination keeps me listening well into the early hours 😀

I invested in a Roon Nucleus, and would heartily recommend it. It’s very much ‘plug ‘n play’ like the A1, and they just work perfectly together over my network.

But however much I love my A1, I still hanker after the X1 ☺️