IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

@BlueSkyy Our support team and I verified Lumin S1 Firmware 11.3 HDMI output to Pioneer SC-LX85, and played 16/44.1, 24/192, and DSD fine.  I'm afraid we don't have much newer AV receivers to test here.

Anyway, you should use coaxial instead and it should sound better.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

7 hours ago, wklie said:

@BlueSkyy Our support team and I verified Lumin S1 Firmware 11.3 HDMI output to Pioneer SC-LX85, and played 16/44.1, 24/192, and DSD fine.  I'm afraid we don't have much newer AV receivers to test here.

Anyway, you should use coaxial instead and it should sound better.

Thank you for your response!

Coaxial appears to work just fine although I cannot get .DSF files to play.  Maybe I will have to get the Lumin to resample them to something more appropriate for my AV receiver.

Although I suspect there is no interaction between the two, please confirm that connecting both the digital and the analog outputs at the same time do not create any issues regarding sound quality.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

7 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

Although I suspect there is no interaction between the two, please confirm that connecting both the digital and the analog outputs at the same time do not create any issues regarding sound quality.

No issue.

For DSD trasmission over coaxial, on supported DAC we may set the "DoP" setting in Lumin app (analog output of DSD will be muted with this setting).  However, I don't expect AV receivers to support that.  So this is just FYI.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I have a beginner’s question about connectivity for my newly purchased U1 Mini...

I have an external hard drive full of FLAC files I’d like to use... and the U1 specifications talk about a USB input, but I’m assuming that the USB ports are both outputs so that’s why my USB drive isn’t being recognized... so, am I correct that the only way I can use this drive is via a NAS device connected to my router?

1 hour ago, Peter Smith said:

I have a beginner’s question about connectivity for my newly purchased U1 Mini...

I have an external hard drive full of FLAC files I’d like to use... and the U1 specifications talk about a USB input, but I’m assuming that the USB ports are both outputs so that’s why my USB drive isn’t being recognized... so, am I correct that the only way I can use this drive is via a NAS device connected to my router?

The external drive should be formatted to any of these types:

USB storage, flash drive, USB hard disk (FAT32, exFAT, NTFS and EXT2/3) See: http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-u1-mini.html

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

6 hours ago, Peter Smith said:

When I connect it to my PC, everything is there. The U1 just displays 2 folders, sda2 and sdb2. Any suggestions?

For the two USB ports on the U1 or U1 MINI, one can be used to connect to a USB DAC, and the other can be used for USB storage.

Please check whether you see any music files under both folders. (FLAC, AIFF, WAV, etc.)

Please make sure there is only one partition in the USB HDD.  Every time you remove a USB storage device from the Lumin hardware, please power cycle the Lumin.

If these do not solve you problems, please perform a check disk with repair using the computer.  Then try again.

If that still does not work, try to copy a few music files to a USB flash drive in NTFS format.

Note: for exFAT, it must have one partition to be recognized.  exFAT without being inside a partition is not supported.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, Dan.B said:

Can't say I really understand it

The reason is that your switch is faulty and/or unable to handle the amount of multicast traffic required.

Your case is noteworthy because someone else has recently also tracked down his Roon problems to the same brand of switch you had.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@wklie Good morning Lie, I'm a very happy owner of A1 since almost 3 years and I have to say it is absolutely fantastic. I'm using files on NAS and Tidal. Since more than 1 year, after few monts that Tidal released the MQA files, It was not possible anymore to see the MQA list in the Master section (at the beginning it was possible) because it say that it is empty. I wrote to the Lumin  and Tidal support asking for possible to fix the problem. Lumin said that the issue was in Tidal and Tidal of course said that the issue was in Lumin o.O

I don't know if someone else already ask you the same,  probably yes but the thread is hudge. and I'm brand new here.

Is it possible to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance

Maurizio

@Hypercell are you in Italy?  A long time ago we already discovered the way we use Tidal API does not work for Masters folder if country code is set to Italy.  I reported that to Tidal but it was ignored.  At that time I found another manufacturer also suffered from the same problem for users in Italy.

The Masters folder list is not a very useful one anyway - it is a human edited list of Tidal recommended Masters.  For an almost complete list see the MQA_List.csv here:

https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=268318

You may also look for Masters albums by album or artist searching, then add them to favorites.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 10/26/2018 at 1:58 PM, wklie said:

The current recommended configuration for Lumin X1 is to use a Cisco SG112-24 Compact switch, a pair of single mode 1310nm SFP modules, and LC-LC Duplex 9/125um Corning ClearCurve Single Mode fiber (from ebay).

The Cisco switch SG112-24 is now sold at Amazon for less than $99
https://www.amazon.com/SYSTEMS-24-Port-Gigabit-Switch-SG11224NA/dp/B00VPT8XSQ

It is worthwhile to note because:
1. It has SFP slots to enable the use of the optic fiber network in X1
2. Even ignoring the SFP slots, people using other non-Lumin setup have reported positive results

At least two comments say the Amazon photo is wrong, claiming their received product is the compact version instead of the larger rack mount version.

In addition to fs.com and TP-Link SFP modules, I would like to report that a pair of this Cisco-compatible 1000BASE-LX module from 10Gtek (a brand only, does not imply 10GBase SFP+) also works with the quoted Cisco switch:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U8PN0NQ/ref=psdc_537316_t1_B0000AZJZL

A Lumin X1 user told me in PM that with this setup "Music plays insanely. Much better than with LAN".

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

2 hours ago, wklie said:

A Lumin X1 user told me in PM that with this setup "Music plays insanely. Much better than with LAN".

I have been considering upgrading the power supply in my S1 with one of those audiophile super fuses.  Has anyone tried one and, if so, was there any appreciable change in the sound quality?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

6 minutes ago, Chiller said:

Hi Folks,

I'm just wondering if there is a lumin app for Macbook available? I find the app on my phone to be a bit small and only have one Ipad in the family that's usually in use by somebody else.

Hi Chiller. No there isn't. Only iOS and Android. However many other UPnP apps work fine like Linn Kazoo

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

14 hours ago, One and a half said:

Lumin U1 impressions

Output was AES3 Canare Pro cable to a Grace Dseign M920 DAC. 

I have to be careful, since I'm evaluating the DAC as well, but it must be fed a great signal in the first place.  That's just 24 hours of burn in time, so what's next!!

Still using the D1 as a streamer with LPS to my Bakoon DAC.

I upgraded the BNC digital cable to the Black Cat TRON (which came highly recommended by a friend).

I understand the Black Cat cable costs as much as the D1, but OMG.

The D1 is very capable as a streamer after all with the right digital cable.

When the time comes I will have to try the U1 mini.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

9 minutes ago, skyline said:

For digital output, U1 MINI gives better SQ than D1. ?

There were customer report(s) that confirmed it.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

20 minutes ago, skyline said:

Still using the D1 as a streamer with LPS to my Bakoon DAC.

I upgraded the BNC digital cable to the Black Cat TRON (which came highly recommended by a friend).

I understand the Black Cat cable costs as much as the D1, but OMG.

The U1 needs a better location and is 4m away by cable distances from its current position. So that means extra cables which I don't have as yet. 4m of coax cable, and have decided to go high spec with RG-6/U capable of several hundred MHz, so 192 kHz should be fine. It was quite a challenge to find the F to BNC and RCA adapters for 75 Ohm cables, but should have tried Mouser first. For the cable, Belden have a full foil shield copper cable, here's the detail. I had to buy a 100m reel, but it's less than USD150 for the 100m. Can use the same cable as an upgrade for FM tuner feeds and other digital input cabling, so the remainder can be used.

I did look at the Nordost Valhalla and Heimdahl digital cable, the prices are horrendous like the Black Cat. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

20 hours ago, wklie said:

For digital output, U1 MINI gives better SQ than D1. ?

There were customer report(s) that confirmed it.

I look forward to upgrading to the U1 mini in time. Audio nervosa.

I'm sure it has better SQ than the D1.

But I will be stunned and very happy if it's as big an upgrade as the Tron digital cable.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21