IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

• 4 weeks later...

How does Lumin update firmware? 

I see in the Lumin Ipad app the option for Lumin to Check For Update.   Does that mean it downloads and installs updates on it's own?

My firmware says it is 10.1a, release date of 2017-11-30.  Is that the same firmware referred to on the Lumin website home page? 

It says, MQA Decoding Now Released - Please update Lumin Firmware.

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 w/ RoomPerfect>GR Research NX-Studio + Rythmik F18 Servo Sub
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"

By the way Peter, I ended up having two different USB cables having odd intermittent issues with connectivity and a failing hard drive.  Those three issues coupled with new Kii Three and the new Lumin U1 had me questioning my sanity with the barrage of issues.  I put it in the box for a few days.  Then got it back out and started with a fresh attitude and now it is really shining with the Kii Three. 

I want to play with some grounding techniques and power conditioning.  There isn't much to do to this duo for a tweeker....other than listen to music!

Thanks for your assistance!

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 w/ RoomPerfect>GR Research NX-Studio + Rythmik F18 Servo Sub
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, airguitar said:

Man I am lapping it up with the first play from my SoTM sMS-200 ULTRA !!

I'm getting amazing sounds through this little miracle (sMS-200 ULTRA - Croft 25 pre / 7 power - Role Audio Enterprise speakers.)

I think you’ve posted in the wrong thread?

This thread is about Lumin.

2 hours ago, airguitar said:

Yes sort of - I was considering Lumin before choosing the sMS-200... a bit beyond my financial priorities though - I love the look of the Lumin players - but I'm not concerned anymore now that I have the sMS-200 Ultra - this is a giant leap in SQ (although I have yet to hear a Lumin in my rig).

Erm. OK...

But as I’ve already said, this thread is about Lumin...

Firmware 10.2:

- Improve MQA DAC-side correction sound quality for A1 / T1 / D1 / D2

- Improve DSD to PCM conversion and PCM downsampling sound quality for U1
- Integrate RAAT 1.1.28 for Roon

Note: In Roon playback of MQA music, the signal path may show an unknown filter - this will become meaningful with a future release of Roon.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi wklie and thanks for the info.

Initially, for about ten minutes after I updated my S1, I noticed that when I use the "Options /About" radio button  when looking at the S1, I get a very quick popup that I can't read saying something about "the renderer not being........" and then it defaulted to a single line allowing me to look at the "Release note" only and nothing else about the S1.  After about ten minutes the system corrected itself and I can now see all the info regarding the S1 that I was used to seeing.

All's well that ends well and thanks for letting us know about the update!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

12 minutes ago, wklie said:

When you encounter any unusual behavior with the Lumin app, please kill it (swipe it away) and re-open it.

I keep forgetting about this :$  Next time for sure!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

1 minute ago, A1B said:

Ok, thanks, but the update is still compatible for the S1..

Yup.  It installed on mine with no problem.

Hi Peter,

I have a totally different question for you. Recently I am having problems with my L1. I didn’t use the L1 for some time because I used a Qnap NAS with Roon. When I reconnected the L1 It took ages to load the library to my S1, actually it never fully loaded at all. Also some of the icons (Qobuz and Radio) did not appear. 

To to determine the reason for this behavior moved all the music files from the L1 (I had some 1600 albums) and replaced the with a modest number of 300 albums. I never touched the system files.

The music files loaded nicely, but after many hours the album art of only  4 albums is visible. The music files play fine.

Can you please help me finding an explanation?

Please power down the L1, S1, and iPad, power cycle your WiFi router.  Wait for 5 minutes, then power them up again.

Look at the L1 LED, if it flashes it's rescanning.  It'll take some time to stabilize, depending on how many albums it contains.

After that, in iPad Lumin app, see if the album art looks normal.  If not, tap Reload Music Library.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi Peter,

I tried everything you advised and more (removed the app and reinstalled it), but no luck. 

The behavior isDAB3082F-2991-41AC-AB3B-3E90BEE6A6FF.thumb.png.b6cbd13414321a4f50d25c202e9078ec.png erratic. The cover of eleven albums of the total of 320 is visible in list view, but not always in the tiled viewer. The library from the Qnap loads artwork without a problem. 

Also the app “hangs”  regularly. Is there a way to check/reinstall thr firmware of the L1?

I am having the same issue with my L1.  Spent better part of the day yesterday trying to figure out the problem.  A handful of the 400 albums do not display the cover art.  I download the music from SuperHiRez which includes the art in a separate jpg file.  When I open the album with MP3Tag, the art shows on the album level and the track level.  

Of the two albums I downloaded, neither showed art in the Lumin app.  After numerous tries, one album showed art after I loaded the album into Mp3Tag and only changed the Genre (no other changes).  I did the same with the second album but still no art.  I have tried changing the art out to lower and higher resolution jpg files but no luck there either.  This is not a new problem as I have had a small percentage of albums not showing art for at least a year.

Music server: Two Lumin L1 music servers

Digital to Analog Converter(s): Lumin S1, two D1s and a D2

Amplifier(s): Peachtree Audio Grand Integrated

Loudspeakers: Martin Logan Summit X

Headphones: Stax SR-009

Headphone Amplifier(s): Woo Audio WES

8 hours ago, A1B said:

The cover of eleven albums of the total of 320 is visible in list view, but not always in the tiled viewer. The library from the Qnap loads artwork without a problem. 

To find out whether it is more related to how L1 sees your album art, or it is more related to the app WiFi connection issues,  please try Linn Kazoo app and check whether it behaves the same or not.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead