IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

1 hour ago, mav52 said:

I get it, but only from Tidal.   I know its not my Lumin because it occurs on my Brookynn , and just plain streaming via my PC.   I've got a 60mbps service and when I get these drops i do a speed test and I'm right up there where I should be.  I really think this is something to do with Tidals "equipment" or their provider to the world, wherever the heck that really is. .  Of course this is just my opinion. 

I was getting really bad service from Tidal yesterday.  Slow to start the music and more dropouts than content.  I test at 200 mbs internet service.  Killing the Lumin app didn't help.  Stream from my L1 has no problem.  Eventually, Tidal started working again so may just be a transient problem on Tidal's end.

Music server: Two Lumin L1 music servers

Digital to Analog Converter(s): Lumin S1, two D1s and a D2

Amplifier(s): Peachtree Audio Grand Integrated

Loudspeakers: Martin Logan Summit X

Headphones: Stax SR-009

Headphone Amplifier(s): Woo Audio WES

3 hours ago, hcalland said:

lately I have been experiencing what sounds like sporadic drop outs when playing music through either my NAS or Tidal.

Please ignore Tidal for the moment, and concentrate on NAS music playback.

Firstly, make sure no other device is jamming the network - if possible, turn off all network devices except NAS, router/switch, Lumin and iPad.  A computer with spyware can jam the network.  Another device watching internet video or doing P2P may also cause harm.

If it still has dropouts, please power down Lumin and iPad.  Power cycle your router and switches.  Wait for 5 minutes, then turn them back on.  Some dying or buggy switches will cause dropouts, and after a power cycle they'll work for a certain period of time.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

1 hour ago, mav52 said:

I've got a 60mbps service and when I get these drops i do a speed test and I'm right up there where I should be.  I really think this is something to do with Tidals "equipment" or their provider to the world, wherever the heck that really is.

Please perform this Tidal throughput test when you have Tidal dropouts:

http://audio-enc.tidal.com.t1.re/

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Cool test. I did not know about this.    Shocking how different the tidal speed test is vs internet speed.   Tidal test I got 

Latency: 23ms
Speed: 32.4Mbps

With Comcast speed test I got 89.3. With the lumin running at the same time Rush moving pictures MQA.   

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

Strange question, your going from your cable modem, are you running a router or are you using the cable company router? Do you own your own cable modem or using the cable company's?  

If using your own router, are you plugging the lumin right into it or do you have a range extender and plugging the lumin into an extender? If you are, that speed is usually under 1/2.   Also what brand and model router are you using? For myself I was using a Belkin and lots of streaming issues until I changed to an Asus. Now wireless we can stream to 2 tv's and all 4 cellphones at the same time without a hiccup. 

Now i havent experienced any dropouts until today actually.  This morning on a tidal MQA track it had a couple of pauses.  Before then, I have never had a dropout.  So it could be tidal issue. 

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

One more thing, I just ran that speed test again for Tidal. It doubled 

Latency: 25ms
Speed: 61.5Mbps

I just ran that test,  Peter

Latency: 23ms
Speed: 14.6Mbps

My ISP 59.89Mbps

Peter where is Tidals music service located , wherever the music streams from ?   I read Tidal is provided by Aspiro AB which provides lossless music streaming services under two brands, Tidal & WiMP and its a Norwegian company, does that mean we are streaming from overseas if in the US. 

The Truth Is Out There

Forgive me one more time. I ran that test from my ipad wireless. went to my laptop on the wired connection and I got 

Latency: 17ms

Speed: 85.3Mbps

I am running Comcast, in a suburb of Chicago.   Asus AC1900 router, my own cable modem.  

33 minutes ago, mav52 said:

Peter where is Tidals music service located , wherever the music streams from ?   I read Tidal is provided by Aspiro AB which provides lossless music streaming services under two brands, Tidal & WiMP and its a Norwegian company, does that mean we are streaming from overseas if in the US. 

I don't really know about Tidal infrastructure.  Perhaps you may use Windows Tidal desktop app to play a music, then use a Windows utility (e.g. Windows Resource Monitor) to find out the actual IP of the server you're actually using.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 3 weeks later...

Just downloaded 9.03 to my Lumin S1.  Thanks for keeping the software current!  When I looked at the release notes, there was nothing on 9.03 so I don't know exactly what fix or enhancement to thank you for :D

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Firmware 9.03 improves buffering of music data, especially for Tidal / Qobuz, even though recent Tidal issues are not restricted to Lumin players.

It also fixes a TuneIn radio time counter display issue.

Update of the release notes will have to wait for the responsible staff to come back from business trip.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

19 hours ago, wklie said:

Firmware 9.03 improves buffering of music data, especially for Tidal / Qobuz, even though recent Tidal issues are not restricted to Lumin players.

It also fixes a TuneIn radio time counter display issue.

Update of the release notes will have to wait for the responsible staff to come back from business trip.

I’ve been reading on the Linn forums that Tidal is also dropping-out at the moment with their DS players.

Tidal should get their act together.

2 hours ago, fabiodeluca said:

@toetapaudio

I am wondering why you are switching from S1 to U1

I also own a S1 but I do not use any of the dac features (I use a Totaldac) 

Therefore I think I could pass to a Lumin without useless circuits (for me) like U1

Hi fabio, more choice of digital output connections since I’m not using the dac, as good as it is.

Lumin U1 is MQA certified, along with S1 / A1 / T1 / D1.

For playback of MQA music, Lumin U1 can output the required MQA Core signal via AES (or USB) to Berkeley Alpha Reference 2 MQA Renderer, to fully enable the MQA feature of the latter.  This works using Lumin app or Roon.

Lumin Android app has been updated to support Tidal and Qobuz.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

This question is for Peter Lie.

I have an A1. The latest firmware has improved the Tidal studdering although it is still happening at a lower

frequency. Are there any recommended networking infrastructure changes that would improve the issue (e.g change to Google DNS, change cable port positions on router)? I was not sure based on the postings if these things were truly helpful.

I currently have my Lumin and Synology DS1813+ on the same D-Link unmanaged 8 port switch. That switch is connected to a Verizon (now Frontier) bridged router MI424WR. My listening room is on the second floor of my house, so my primary Verizon router is on the first floor with the bridged router providing ethernet ports in the media room. I do have other media-related devices on that 8-port switch (Oppo 103D, AppleTV, Tivo, Tivo Mini). Thanks for any insights

On 10/4/2017 at 8:08 AM, Roy Boy said:

Are there any recommended networking infrastructure changes that would improve the issue (e.g change to Google DNS, change cable port positions on router)?

This assumes the Lumin player to your internet is all wired, without going through a wireless conversion.

If you have already tried Google DNS and it has not helped, the only other thing you can try is to power off all the other devices (as an experiment) when streaming from Tidal, just to eliminate the very low probability that something else is jamming your network (such as a computer with malware or doing P2P or downloading a large file). 

You should send Tidal a support request. 

The infrastructure changes have to be done to by Tidal.

To confirm your Internet service provider is not at fault, you could also try signing up for Qobuz free trial (using VPN if you're not in a supported country).  Actual streaming from Qobuz does not require VPN.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi, this is a quesrion for Peter Lie:

I have A D1, and when streaming MQA streams from Tidal, the stream isn’t gapless, and there is a distinct break between tracks. This is especially irritating with classical music, and doesn’t happen when streaming the same piece of music in high-res from Qobuz.

Will there be a fix for this sometime soon? Thanks.

Gapless playback is enabled for Lumin playback of Tidal and Qobuz 16/44.1 FLAC tracks.

Gapless playback has been disabled for Tidal MQA tracks on purpose, because so many Tidal users had problems with Tidal stuttering in some regions in recent months, regardless of what hardware they use.  Having gapless playback will make it even worse, because gapless playback needs even more bandwidth and puts further pressure on the Tidal content delivery servers.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

11 hours ago, wklie said:

Gapless playback is enabled for Lumin playback of Tidal and Qobuz 16/44.1 FLAC tracks.

Gapless playback has been disabled for Tidal MQA tracks on purpose, because so many Tidal users had problems with Tidal stuttering in some regions in recent months, regardless of what hardware they use.  Having gapless playback will make it even worse, because gapless playback needs even more bandwidth and puts further pressure on the Tidal content delivery servers.

Thanks for this Peter.

I DO hope that once the issues with Tidal are sorted, that you reinstate gapless for MQA? It makes listening to classical impossible!

Thanks again.