Jump to content
psme

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

It is because I like Lumin products very much, it is because I took part of the very  first review of Lumin A1, and because this thread, as others on a lot of HiFi forums, is being hijacked by MQA people that I decided to write about MQA here.

 

When some people on a forum repeat ad nauseam that it is up to users to decide (who could be against that?) and do not give any attention to real very basic information that can be checked anywhere, I feel very unconformable about their real goals.

 

Kind regards

 


Thierry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is about Lumin players, rather than MQA.

Lumin is now compatible with MQA. MQA is just an added feature of Lumin players.

Let's allow people to decide about MQA with their ears, and stay focused on the Lumin product itself, rather than be distracted by MQA?

Like a lot of things in life, some people will love MQA, and others will not. 

But as to Lumin? I think it's a great player, and I thank the folks over there in HK for producing such a great product.

唔該

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the end of 2012, Lumin launched the world first DSD-capable network music player, when DSD was not universally supported by all manufacturers, and not everyone believed in DSD (many still don't, including some manufacturers).

 

Now in 2017, Lumin released a free firmware upgrade to the same network music player that is in the market for more than 4.5 years (along with several newer models), making the world first network music players that can decode MQA via RAAT protocol or native OpenHome UPnP protocol, when MQA was not universally supported by all manufacturers, and not everyone believed in MQA (many don't, including some manufacturers), and not all network players support RAAT that is necessary for Roon.  Even fewer supported OpenHome.

 

The goal of Lumin is exceptionally simple, we make the best sounding feature rich network music players that are the most convenient to use.  The next big feature we hope to make is to support Spotify Connect.  (No estimate of when this will be available, but iOS users can already AirPlay from Spotify app to Lumin.)

 

(Note: At the time of this post, there are other manufacturers that support RAAT and MQA separately, but not when used together.)


Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One and a half said:

A big pretty please for the T1 to support DSD128?

 

Lumin A1 / T1 / D1 have hardware limitations so they cannot play DSD128 directly.  However, it is possible to use software means to do on-the-fly conversion from DSD128 to PCM before sending it to A1 / T1 / D1, such as MinimServer with MinimStreamer, Roon, or JRiver.


Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wklie said:

Back in the end of 2012, Lumin launched the world first DSD-capable network music player, when DSD was not universally supported by all manufacturers, and not everyone believed in DSD (many still don't, including some manufacturers).

 

Now in 2017, Lumin released a free firmware upgrade to the same network music player that is in the market for more than 4.5 years (along with several newer models), making the world first network music players that can decode MQA via RAAT protocol or native OpenHome UPnP protocol, when MQA was not universally supported by all manufacturers, and not everyone believed in MQA (many don't, including some manufacturers), and not all network players support RAAT that is necessary for Roon.  Even fewer supported OpenHome.

 

The goal of Lumin is exceptionally simple, we make the best sounding feature rich network music players that are the most convenient to use.  The next big feature we hope to make is to support Spotify Connect.  (No estimate of when this will be available, but iOS users can already AirPlay from Spotify app to Lumin.)

 

(Note: At the time of this post, there are other manufacturers that support RAAT and MQA separately, but not when used together.)

Hi wklie,

 

A few weeks ago I had a chance to listen to the Brinkmann Nyquist. If I am not mistaken this player supports MQA over RAAT. Actually this player persuaded me to install ROON on my NAS.

 

Please core to me if I'm wrong..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info @A1B.  Roon Labs told me we're the first so I believed them, but there is a slight possibility they didn't know about another device achieving that.

 

The functionality of Roon sending MQA to a Roon Ready player (Roon Core + SDK) happened about a month ago:

 

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/mqa-for-dsj-and-ds-w-bridge-ii-is-imminent/28180/46

 

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-3-build-242-is-live-devialet-air-now-streaming/28166

 

For MQA over RAAT to work, the player must have a firmware upgrade that integrates the latest SDK in the past 33 days.  Without such a firmware upgrade, either MQA cannot be decoded, or MQA is decoded but fails the timing requirements of Roon Ready players.  I tried to find such a firmware upgrade for the device you mentioned but I'm not able to find it.


Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wklie said:

Thanks for the info @A1B.  Roon Labs told me we're the first so I believed them, but there is a slight possibility they didn't know about another device achieving that.

 

The functionality of Roon sending MQA to a Roon Ready player (Roon Core + SDK) happened about a month ago:

 

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/mqa-for-dsj-and-ds-w-bridge-ii-is-imminent/28180/46

 

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-3-build-242-is-live-devialet-air-now-streaming/28166

 

For MQA over RAAT to work, the player must have a firmware upgrade that integrates the latest SDK in the past 33 days.  Without such a firmware upgrade, either MQA cannot be decoded, or MQA is decoded but fails the timing requirements of Roon Ready players.  I tried to find such a firmware upgrade for the device you mentioned but I'm not able to find it.

Hi Peter,

 

Then you will be right. I didn't have MQA files available at the time so I have no hands-on experience. I read in the Brinkmann manual that the Nyquist supports ROON as a ROON ready player and that it supports full MQA decoding. Assuming that the two work together was a leap of thought on my account.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an issue with my S1's firmware level.

 

From the "About" page in the Lumin app, my S1, hardware 112011, is sitting at firmware revision level 9.01 dated 2017-8-7.  When I check the release notes I see that there is a version 9.02 dated AUG 18, 2017.  It appears that I am not able to go to the latest revision level even though I have "Check for Firmware Updates" set to "Yes".

 

Is there something that I need to do to update to the latest level or is there a bug of some sort in my system?

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

It appears that I am not able to go to the latest revision level even though I have "Check for Firmware Updates" set to "Yes".

 

Please kill the Lumin app and relaunch it.  If that does not trigger the firmware upgrade, please power cycle your Lumin player.


Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2017 at 6:18 PM, fabiodeluca said:

I see the Masters folder but there is no cover piatire on it and when I enter it is completely empty.

 

Until few days ago everything was fine...

 

Master albums are accessibile from each single artist, btw

 

Is anyone else experiencing in Europe (Italy) succ issue?

 

Previously we've assumed this to be a timing or connectivity issue on our side, but it turns out that we looked at the wrong place.

 

Based on the information that another manufacturer is having the same issue in Italy, we've analyzed Tidal API behavior for Italy and have provided relevant details to Tidal.

 

(For users not using a Tidal Italy account but experience the problem of Masters folder being empty, please kill the Lumin app and restart it.)


Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2017 at 1:46 AM, Cebolla said:

I've tested this since version 21 of JRiver and its UPnP/DLNA media server is certainly able to provide DSD files natively for streaming, if the Mode is "Original" and DoPE is off.

 

As promised I have tested your suggested configuration of JRiver MC22 for use with Lumin.

Using SACD .ISO file to test, we still require Bitstream DSD (DoPE) to be turned on.  (DSF file and DoP file are ok regardless of that setting.)

 

Please confirm you can use JRiver DLNA to play SACD .ISO file to NT-503 with Bitstream DSD (DoPE) turned off.


Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where the SACD .ISO files came from or why you assume I have an NT-503 - I don't have either!

 

Do you believe that JRiver loading a SACD .ISO is exactly the same as it providing actual DSD files (ie DSF & DFF files) natively for network streaming?


We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about the wrong assumptions.

 

Since SACD .ISO DSD network streaming requires turning on DoPE setting but DSF DSD does not, I guess there is some difference in how JRiver handles these formats.

 

Anyway, I used to recommend turning on DoPE for JRiver in the past, and this recommendation is not changed.


Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All

 

lately I have been experiencing what sounds like sporadic drop outs when playing music through either my NAS or Tidal. They are usually short  in duration; from 3 to 7 seconds. I've owned my LUMIN for about 2 years now, and this is the first time I have had any hint of a problem with it.

 

I use a LUMIN A-1, and it's connected to my home network via a standard Cat-6 cable. It's a long run from my family room to my listening room, just a little under a 100 feet. 

 

Anyone experience this problem who can offer advice on the problem and a solution.

 

Thanks guys

 

Herb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

3 to 7 seconds is very long...

 

First thing I would check is the ethernet cables connectors and connexions.

 

After that, among the possible reasons of your troubles, there is the limited bandwidth of the (usually low end) ethernet switch that are used in Internet Boxes. If people at your home are watching Youtube videos or are downloading big files, there is a competition inside the box ethernet switch between this internet traffic and you NAS to Lumin music transfer.

 

One easy and quite non expensive solution, is to use and extra ethernet switch connected to your Internet Box for Internet connectivity, on which you connect your NAS and your Lumin.

Youtube or files downloads, or any other internet traffic  will not interfere with you music transfers.

 

I have always solved this issue on a lot of home networks with this extra ethernet switch.

 

I never tested this for streaming services as Tidal, and there is no a priori reasons that it should work, as music streaming AND other internet traffic all go through the box switch. Maybe a switch with QOS functions (prioritization of packets from NAS to Lumin) will improve the situation.

 

Kind regards

 

 


Thierry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hcalland said:

Hello All

 

lately I have been experiencing what sounds like sporadic drop outs when playing music through either my NAS or Tidal. They are usually short  in duration; from 3 to 7 seconds. I've owned my LUMIN for about 2 years now, and this is the first time I have had any hint of a problem with it.

 

I use a LUMIN A-1, and it's connected to my home network via a standard Cat-6 cable. It's a long run from my family room to my listening room, just a little under a 100 feet. 

 

Anyone experience this problem who can offer advice on the problem and a solution.

 

Thanks guys

 

Herb

I get it, but only from Tidal.   I know its not my Lumin because it occurs on my Brookynn , and just plain streaming via my PC.   I've got a 60mbps service and when I get these drops i do a speed test and I'm right up there where I should be.  I really think this is something to do with Tidals "equipment" or their provider to the world, wherever the heck that really is. .  Of course this is just my opinion. 


The Truth Is Out There

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...