IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Audio_ELF,

Which one you have tested?

I haven't tried the LUMIN... But earlier in the thread it was stated it works with other control points.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Darius, tell us about your LUMIN.

Try to control the LUMIN with Plugplayer or other CP.

I have tested Lumin with Linn Kinsky app and it works.

apps from other audio manufacturers doesn't works(I have installed all Freeware I found at AppStore)

But app from Lumin looks better except mentioned earlier no-folder browsing and untagged files(you just can find them on the list).

I have tested several app on Android tab, they works, but they are not so nice as Lumin :).

I'm using qnap nas and all installation went quite easy, at least for me.

My system is passlabs Xp-10/xa-30.5/audiophysic Virgo5 and streamer Logitech Transporter.I'm using balanced connection to connect both streamers. I never heard in my system any superduper Esoteric, Linn, emm, dcs,wadia......or other car price equipment :) , from time to time I also play CDs on my Parasound CDP2000.

to be short Lumin plays better than my transporter, the difference is not night&day, I have tested only red-book files.

I have no compared Hi-rez files.

What I found that when I try to change setting inside Lumin over app(all default setting is "Native") it seems that is nothing works.

This question to psme

BR,

Darius

p.s.

there is a information I received with some app on Android checked Lumin properties( I have not tested gapless playback):

Screenshot_2013-01-13-19-22-28.png

Power Amplifier: PassLabs XA30.5

Pre Amplifier: PassLabs XP10

Network Players: Lumin

Interconnects Cables: Nordost Heimdall XLR

Speakers: Audio Physic Virgo V mkII

Speaker Cables: Inakustik LS-1102

Power cables: DIY

NAS: Qnap 119, Minimserver

I have tested Lumin with Linn Kinsky app and it works. Apps from other audio manufacturers doesn't works(I have installed all Freeware I found at AppStore). But app from Lumin looks better except mentioned earlier no-folder browsing and untagged files(you just can find them on the list). I have tested several app on Android tab, they works, but they are not so nice as Lumin :).

Do you mean (for example) Naim nServe won't work because you have no Naim ND server?

If so, that's everything to do with the app and nothing to do with the LUMIN.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Just a friendly observation, and if I'm off base I apologize, but it sure seems like Lumin is receiving a lot of "free press" here that other manufacturers don't typically enjoy. This is almost like a perpetual ad for Lumin (IMHO). . . .

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

Just a friendly observation, and if I'm off base I apologize, but it sure seems like Lumin is receiving a lot of "free press" here that other manufacturers don't typically enjoy. This is almost like a perpetual ad for Lumin (IMHO). . . .

Similar could be said about the Mytek thread and threads for Audivana and BitPerfect (amongst others).

Eloise

Eloise

---

I have tested Lumin with Linn Kinsky app and it works.

apps from other audio manufacturers doesn't works(I have installed all Freeware I found at AppStore)

But app from Lumin looks better except mentioned earlier no-folder browsing and untagged files(you just can find them on the list).

I have tested several app on Android tab, they works, but they are not so nice as Lumin :).

Others app works with LUMIN, but there are not many free app! On iOS, PlugPlayer, Songbook lite, ChorusHD etc should work with LUMIN, but they are all paid app!

to be short Lumin plays better than my transporter, the difference is not night&day, I have tested only red-book files.

Glad that you like the LUMIN. Give it a bit run-in and it should sound even better! :)

I have no compared Hi-rez files.

Do try some hi-res files, and try some DSD file! Before the LUMIN, a friend tried the best to convert DSD to PCM to play on a PCM player. Then finally he can play native DSD on LUMIN. There is no turning back! :)

What I found that when I try to change setting inside Lumin over app(all default setting is "Native") it seems that is nothing works.

Which specific setting? There are many settings. Some for DSD file (bitstream/PCM, and if PCM at what rate), which only has effect on DSD playback. Some settings on PCM file playback. Since you have only tried CD files, only the upsampling options under 44.1khz has effect. The bit depth setting "native/16bit/24bit" should work too.

there is a information I received with some app on Android checked Lumin properties( I have not tested gapless playback):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3452[/ATTACH]

What is that app with the properties?

LUMIN supports gapless playback. You must have some concert/live CD without break between tracks. Try those and you will hear! :)

associated with LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Similar could be said about the Mytek thread and threads for Audivana and BitPerfect (amongst others).

Eloise

Maybe catastrofe meant in this sub-forum, because there is not much product thread here! ;)

psme,

As I mentioned I have tested only CD files, I try to change upsampling options under 44.1 and bit depth setting, file start to play from the beginning, but there is no any indication on Lumin/Lumin app that something was changed.

Does there should be nay indication about changes?

Your advice on wav file tagging, what software should I use to be compatuble with Lumin app?

Regards,

Darius

LUMIN app and LUMIN front panel shows source file info only. Re-sampling settings are not indicated in file info. Re-sampling does take effect. If you use digital output (HDMI/BNC SPDIF), you will see the sampling rate changed with the replay. On analog output, there is audio different. Switch back and forth and listen carefully! ;)

I rarely use WAV. I think Tag&Rename supports WAV tagging, maybe dbpoweramp too. iTunes supports AIFF tagging, so maybe WAV too? Besides tools to create tag, the UPnP server also needs to read tag. MinimServer, Twonky don't support WAV tag. Maybe Asset UPnP supports WAV tag? Not sure about foobar2000 UPnP plugin...

psme,

Do you have a plan to implement support of the folder browsing in the Lumin app?

Darius

Sorry, currently there is no plan to support folder browsing in LUMIN app. LUMIN app primary focus is on Tag browsing. Maybe when all Tag browsing features are done, then may consider adding folder browsing...

For folder browsing, there are many other app/program/control point software to use, such as Kinsky, PlugPlayer, Songbook lite, ChorusDS HD, and many others on different platforms.

psme,

I will test today gapless playback, I have a few recordings where i can check.

Also I will test upsampling, I have not listened to the recording after I changed upsampling settings, because track is jumping to the very beginning and I tried to look/understood at the display and app what was happen.

I left streamer switched on for burn-in, now he is running just for about 50hr, so probably till the end of the week it will have ~200hr so things can change(I hope :) ).

Darius

I left streamer switched on for burn-in, now he is running just for about 50hr, so probably till the end of the week it will have ~200hr so things can change(I hope :) ).

Darius

Hi Darius!

The streamer needs to be burn-in only playing back real music. It is the best type of burn-in. Thus it's burn-in not only a power supply but also the details standing in path of a audio signal: chips, resistances, output transformers, relays, solderings, etc. It is very important!

Serge.

Hi Serge,

Yes, I did exactly like you said.

From this evening listening I can report two good things:

1. gapless playback on this streamer is ok

2. sound start to change for good(at least for my ears), I listen to the Patricia Berber- Nightclub(red-book) and difference with my logitech transporter was clear and significant.As I mentioned I can do a/b testing at the same time and it looks like I can switch off/on part of the instruments in the recording with the remote control :). Lumin has very clear/bigger sound, with more of "everything". When I switching back to the transporter it looks like sound falling down and squeezing in size and some of the musicians jumping back .

I hape that it just a beginning of Lumin transformation to what it lokks like ;).

I left it playing back the music till tomorrow.

Darius

Hi Psme,

A bit do not understand what "low and high" means for the particular frequency and multiples?

Also what about DSD? Is clock required?

Those 4 clock oscillators are in different frequency. If I remember it right, 1 for 44.1/88.2, 1 for 48/96, 1 for 176.4/352/2.8M, 1 for 192/384. DSD clock is based on 44.1 multiplier. Some system uses a single clock generator for all audio frequency. Better method is using 2 clocks, 1 for 44.1/88.2/176.4 etc, 1 for 48/96/192 etc. The best method is using discrete clock in different frequency range for the most accurate signalling.

Wow, thank you for the detailed reply, really helps!

good to know Lumin is using NIHON DEMPA KOGYO japanese crystals...

BTW, three more questions:

-is it easy to change the power supply from 110 to 220V or vice versa?

-any more development news on the app for other platform? I don't have an iPad, so I have to spend min. HKD$2600 for an iPad Mini just to use it as a remote control?

-if my wireless router can accept USB disk and run it as file server, so can I connect it this way and Lumin can read the music files on the USB disk via LAN cable?

Thanks!

The Power Supply Unit is fixed at either 220V (200-240V), or at 110V (100-120V). The input voltage range not user switching. User can ask for another Power Supply Unit with a different voltage rating later if needed.

LUMIN app currently runs on iPad only. We plan to support more platform later. Since LUMIN uses open standard UPnP AV protocol, there are many other third parties app/software/control point also work with LUMIN.

LUMIN plays music from a UPnP media server. If you router has a build in UPnP media server, it should work with LUMIN.

Great, looks like you invested some big thinking and resources into the project!

Respect :)

So, you say when I convert to FLAC from the ISO file, there are actually two streams there PCM and DSD?

The foobar2000 sacd plugin with DoP mod, creates a PCM (FLAC/ALAC/WAV/AIFF etc) file with native DSD data embedded in DoP packing.

Hello,

After ~75 hours I'm slightly disappointed, Lumin sounds like at very beginning or even worse.

Yesterday I clearly hear difference in between the streamers, it was clear margin, but today on the same recording I can't hear differences or they are very very minors.

Lets see what we have tomorrow.

BR,

Darius

What are the S/N ratio, dynamic range and channel separation specs?

MEASUREMENTS (ANALOG OUTPUT, FROM 20 HZ TO 20 KHZ):

Frequency response, dB

+0.01, -0.18

Noise level, dB (A)

Dynamic range, dB (A)

THD, %

Stereo crosstalk, dB

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if they use the Direct DSD mode offered by Wolfson (assuming it's either WM8741 or WM8742)? Or does it go through the PCM conversion? If there's digital volume control with DSD, then it is likely going through the PCM conversion, since Wolfson offers digital volume for DSD only through PCM conversion.

Missed this question! And the LUMIN faces the exact situation! Since volume control is not available in the native "DSD Direct" (direct DSD to analog output) mode, in the beginning we tried running DSD in "DSD Plus" (using wolfson internal DSD->PCM conversion) mode. Then I listened to music in both "DSD Direct" and "DSD Plus" mode, back and forth. "DSD Plus" mode sounds great, but native "DSD Direct" mode sounds even better! In "DSD Direct" mode the sound sounds fully with finer texture so to speak. But there is no volume control in native "DSD Direct" mode! Finally the implementation is, by default, the volume is at 100 max, and DSD runs in "DSD Direct" mode. When volume is reduced, it will auto switch to "DSD Plus" mode. There is a very subtle audio break when changing volume from 99->100 or 100->99.

Although LUMIN has volume control, it's a digital volume and audio quality may deteriorate. For the best result, please keep LUMIN volume at max (100), and adjust volume on the pre-amp.