IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Thank you for that link. Any idea when S1 will be commercially available in the USA? And what would MSRP be?

Here is the information we revealed at CES:

1497531_338107632993612_1922188034_n.jpg

It will be available to listen to at Munich High End Show later this month.

hi Roy Boy,

It seems you have 2 routers interconnected. I guess you are likely using 2 different subnets. Airplay usually won't work between 2 subnets. You said that Airplay works between a Mac and AppleTV. Are these devices on the same router? Could you put LUMIN on the same router as these device and check if Airplay works between them?

As for ports to open for Airplay, there are many! Found this page by a quick search:

Firewall ports utilised by AirPlay

associated with LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

hi Roy Boy,

It seems you have 2 routers interconnected. I guess you are likely using 2 different subnets. Airplay usually won't work between 2 subnets. You said that Airplay works between a Mac and AppleTV. Are these devices on the same router? Could you put LUMIN on the same router as these device and check if Airplay works between them?

As for ports to open for Airplay, there are many! Found this page by a quick search:

Firewall ports utilised by AirPlay

While i do have two routers (both Actiontec FIOS routers) all the devices wired or wireless are on the same subnet 192.168.1.x. The primary router downstairs (coax connected0 is also currently the source of the wireless. The router that is upstairs (also coax connected) which provides the ethernet port has DHCP turned off, WAN coax turned off and currently the wireless is turned off.

I could turn on the wireless and give it the same SSID and password as the downstairs and effectively act as an extender to the wireless network...

While i do have two routers (both Actiontec FIOS routers) all the devices wired or wireless are on the same subnet 192.168.1.x. The primary router downstairs (coax connected0 is also currently the source of the wireless. The router that is upstairs (also coax connected) which provides the ethernet port has DHCP turned off, WAN coax turned off and currently the wireless is turned off.

I could turn on the wireless and give it the same SSID and password as the downstairs and effectively act as an extender to the wireless network...

From reading this I assume you are purely using the second router as a hub to provide additional ethernet ports... If this is so, may be worth simplifying the situation by replacing this second router with a simple switch from NetGear or Belkin.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hello,

I have two issues in using lumin apps and see if lumin fans here also encountered before:

1) When i add the whole album to the playlist, sometimes it dropped the track #1

2) When I add a track or album by using "replace existing playlist button", sometimes lumin failed to load the track/album and wait forever. In such case, I have to repeat this selection process and the lumin will resume normal.

Any lumin fans have such experience? Please feel free to share.

Thanks.

Kevin

Why doesn't a great lumin player play SA-CD ISO Files directly from NAS. Can this feature be added to a firmware upgrade in the future? Like the jriver player is playing ISO files and using their complete tagging.

I copied all my SA-CDs original ISO Files to my Synology NAS. The jriver Player can play ISO, but I failed to play them with the connection to the lumin player, to get the bitstream in best DSD Quality to lumin and play from lumin.

Can anyone help me with that? Thank you!

Why doesn't a great lumin player play SA-CD ISO Files directly from NAS. Can this feature be added to a firmware upgrade in the future? Like the jriver player is playing ISO files and using their complete tagging.

I copied all my SA-CDs original ISO Files to my Synology NAS. The jriver Player can play ISO, but I failed to play them with the connection to the lumin player, to get the bitstream in best DSD Quality to lumin and play from lumin.

Can anyone help me with that? Thank you!

A NAS is a computer with some software, as a PC with or without Jriver.

Playing "from a NAS" does not have a real meaning. It is the UPNP server (the software) that does the job. And the software relies on the resources that are available on the computer where it is executed.

To stream DSD tracks from ISO, you need the software (the UPNP server) to:

- extract the DSD tracks from the ISO

- convert them to DoP

- stream them

1/

It is a Synology Software question, not a Lumin question (or any other DSD network player)

2/ The kind of processor and resources that are available on NAS are not able to extract DSD tracks and make all the process with a timing that is compatible with streaming those files. Especially, when some ISO SACD have DST tracks (looseless compressed DSD format).

Look at your PC resources when you use Jriver with ISO. On a given ISO playlist, you will see the resources be very highly used, as Jriver extract and converts to DoP one track and the following in the playlist (to ensure gapless play). Then, the used resources go down. When the second track starts to play, the third tracks is being extracted and converted, and the used resources go high again.

A NAS is not able to do this without dropouts in the streaming.

Kind regards

Thierry

A NAS is a computer with some software, as a PC with or without Jriver.

Playing "from a NAS" does not have a real meaning. It is the UPNP server (the software) that does the job. And the software relies on the resources that are available on the computer where it is executed.

To stream DSD tracks from ISO, you need the software (the UPNP server) to:

- extract the DSD tracks from the ISO

- convert them to DoP

- stream them

1/

It is a Synology Software question, not a Lumin question (or any other DSD network player)

2/ The kind of processor and resources that are available on NAS are not able to extract DSD tracks and make all the process with a timing that is compatible with streaming those files. Especially, when some ISO SACD have DST tracks (looseless compressed DSD format).

Look at your PC resources when you use Jriver with ISO. On a given ISO playlist, you will see the resources be very highly used, as Jriver extract and converts to DoP one track and the following in the playlist (to ensure gapless play). Then, the used resources go down. When the second track starts to play, the third tracks is being extracted and converted, and the used resources go high again.

A NAS is not able to do this without dropouts in the streaming.

Kind regards

Does it mean that Synology NAS is not capable of playing SACD copies period?

Is there any way to play them on Lumin/ Synology NAS?

As there is no software to do the job on Synology, and even if there was a software, NAS processors are not powerful enough to do it, currently, yes, Synology NAS and all NAS of the same type cannot be used to "play" SACD ISO.

When I rip SACD, I extract DSF files with sacd_extract, I tag them, and use them with DSD compatible software.

If you want to use only a Synokogy NAS, use Foobar with the SACD plugin modified by Lumin and convert the DSD ISO tracks to DoP files, which are PCM 24/176 files with the DSD information embedded in it. You can then use them on your NAS and Lumin will recognize them as DSD files.

If you try to "play" those files on a non DSD player, you will only get "shhhhhhhhhh", a white noise.

Best regards

Thierry

hi Thierry, kind regards from munich. #maybe i was not clear enough to describe the idea.

i read that now LUMIN works with MinimServer DoP transcode and jRiver DoPE (DoP over Ethernet).

With the latest jRiver version, when DoPE is enabled (Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA servers->Advanced->Bitstream DSD (requires DoPE compliant renderer)), you can directly play a SACD ISO file to LUMIN in native DSD bitstream mode. that means Streaming from SACD ISO in Jriver DoPE mode, no mode DoP needed, no more DSF extracts.

I tried to stream it from my mac book and the jriver software to the lumin, but my jRiver settings were not right. that was the idea.

I'm also asking myself, why a lumin player can't do a converting job, a simple laptop can do with that jriver player. Every cheap SA-CD Player can do that internally, or?

Looking forward to test the Lumin S1 in 2 days here at the high end fair in munich….

Hi

I will also be in Munich :)

Have a look at the temp directory of Jriver when streaming (UPNP) the tracks of an ISO.

You will see the wave DoP files created from ISO extraction as I described.

DoPE means DoP over Ethernet, and you can read "DoP"...

To my knowledge there is only ONE software that is able to extract tracks from an ISO SACD image: sacd_extract. It is used under the hood of Jriver and Foobar. It has been compiled at least under OSX and Windows.

It is not because you cannot see it as an end user that sacd_extract and DoP are not used...

If you have doubts, you can ask the question on Jriver Forum.

As you may know, there is a big difference when reading "real time" with an optical drive a CD or a SACD and decicated chips, and work on a file of several hundreds of MB on a general purpose processor and a general OS.

The same approach: if you have doubts, look at your processor level of occupation when using Jriver on ISO, for first (and second tracks) and then on the start of every new track, and try to evaluate if your NAS processor has the ability to do the same as you laptop processor. They are not of the same class and power.

To do it inside a network player would need a great storage capacity, with files that are locally stored. It is another architecture. And in my opinion, it is not a good one, as hard drives and too much electronics have too much effects on audio quality.

Kind regards

Thierry

From reading this I assume you are purely using the second router as a hub to provide additional ethernet ports... If this is so, may be worth simplifying the situation by replacing this second router with a simple switch from NetGear or Belkin.

Eloise

So I tried an experiment and turned on the WIFI on the Actontec router in the media room with the same SSID and WEP and the primary router so I was basically extending the WIFI. When I did this and was in the same media room then I was able to see Minimserver on the Lumin app (for the first time). It was also still seeing the DS1813 NAS which must have been the Media Server app running on Synology. In addition...the Lumin was now visible as an AirPlay device....I am surprised that the Media Server app was able to stream DSD...That is why I thought it was the Luminserver.

I have read a couple of reviews from the 2014 Munich show by now- one from this very website and another from the Enjoy The Music, and no mentioning of the new Lumin model in neither. Anyone can post any updates on the new flagship? Impressions from Munich, pricing, etc.?

Thank you for that information.

at the highend HIGH END® - HIGH END Society will be one new upcoming star upon the lumin S1.

Everyone is talking about the dartzeel LHC-208 full amp with integrated streamer / DAC, to check out. (DAC: Supports up to 24/352.8 on PCM and up to 2XDSD). This could be the new simplification of all. Let's check out in munich.

I have read a couple of reviews from the 2014 Munich show by now- one from this very website and another from the Enjoy The Music, and no mentioning of the new Lumin model in neither. Anyone can post any updates on the new flagship? Impressions from Munich, pricing, etc.?

asked about upcomming S1 upgrade options for lumin A1 owners. They told me that they will collect the feedback at the highend and will annouce something in the near future. I think, it will only take a few weeks. Sadly the lumin player was playing with very poor acoustic and simple speakers at the highend in munich. So you could'nt compare or hear a difference between the lumins. There should be a slight more open and detailed sound with the S1.

I'm not sure if the upgrade effort will be worth it, depending on the pricing.

For me the next thing I would like to have, is a lumin app version, which can handle my "jriver player" running on my laptop for all my copied original SA-CD ISO Files on my NAS, to play over my lumin player, including the cover database and tagging information. Like the iphone and ipad app "jremote". I dont want to use two apps and two database on an ipad for DSD and orginial ISO Files!

Or is there any other option you can recommend?

For me the next thing I would like to have, is a lumin app version, which can handle my "jriver player" running on my laptop for all my copied original SA-CD ISO Files on my NAS, to play over my lumin player, including the cover database and tagging information. Like the iphone and ipad app "jremote". I dont want to use two apps and two database on an ipad for DSD and orginial ISO Files!

Or is there any other option you can recommend?

I am not sure if I completely understand your request but you are requesting for a Lumin App, right?

I have stopped using the Lumin App since day 2 after i bought my Lumin. I use JRemote exclusively with the Lumin and it does everything you wanted....i have one app, one database and I play all DSD and ISO files effortlessly.

Why wait when you can do everything now?

(Audio)

All my complaints and appears its I who have network issue(s) unrelated to my Lumin. Thanks to Mark of Lumin USA for being most generous with his time and helping me sort things out.

That's great news!

Are there any details you can give that may help others in the future?

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

All my complaints and appears its I who have network issue(s) unrelated to my Lumin. Thanks to Mark of Lumin USA for being most generous with his time and helping me sort things out.

Great news. Glad you were able to get it sorted out. I know I'm enjoying my Lumin. Happy to hear you can too now.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass