Jump to content
IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, erniejade said:

Wkile, I just looked at what firmware my D1 is running and its on 11.  I see 13 is out.  In the past it has automatically updated. What do i need to do to upload to the latest 2020 version? 

 

In Lumin app, please make sure Firmware Upgrade setting is set to On.  (If you need to change it, please wait for 60 seconds here.)  Then power cycle the D1.  Then double tap iPad home button, swipe away Lumin app and relaunch it.  If it still does not work, please reboot the iPad.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wklie said:

 

In Lumin app, please make sure Firmware Upgrade setting is set to On.  (If you need to change it, please wait for 60 seconds here.)  Then power cycle the D1.  Then double tap iPad home button, swipe away Lumin app and relaunch it.  If it still does not work, please reboot the iPad.

No dice.  Unplugged the D1, rebooted the ipad, made sure check for firmware updates is on yes. Did it all once again and it did not go.  

 

 

20200607_135650.jpg

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

User e-mail:

Quote

The Leedh processing upgrade with the U1 Mini totally improved my system sound.

 

Huge thanks for letting me actually hear the capability of my audio system for the first time.

 

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 8:09 AM, pl_svn said:

almost for sure better than Roon's vc

There is no actual reason to believe that....

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

                                                                                           SONORE computer audio

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ogs said:

Maybe you are right, maybe not, but what is your explanation..?

Roon volume control is 64 bit.  It is lossless unless one is using enormous amounts of attenuation.  Even LeedH themselves appear to compare their volume control to ones operating at only 24 bits when they claim superiority.  I am unaware of any aspect of LeedH, or of any possible aspect of LeedH, which could make it perform any better than what Roon does.  They are both likely transparent.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

                                                                                           SONORE computer audio

Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter, regarding the interplay of the Lumin volume control and the maximum volume setting, as well as Leedh, I would like to know, if not proprietary:

 

1.  When setting max volume to, say 60 in my case, are the volumetric steps, in db, offered by the control in the Lumin app now 60% of what the equivalent change would have been if the volume limit was set to 100%?  Or is the volume limit simply a maximum above which the Lumin output cannot go?

 

2.  Is the volume limit adhere to the requirements set by the Leedh volume algorithm?

 

Thanks.

Lumin X1, iFi PRO iDSD, iFi PRO iCAN, Questyle Twelve (Master), Marantz AV8805, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, Ultimate Ears UE-18, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, barrows said:

Roon volume control is 64 bit.  It is lossless unless one is using enormous amounts of attenuation.  Even LeedH themselves appear to compare their volume control to ones operating at only 24 bits when they claim superiority.  I am unaware of any aspect of LeedH, or of any possible aspect of LeedH, which could make it perform any better than what Roon does.  They are both likely transparent.

Thanks, makes sense..

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ogs said:

Thanks, makes sense..

 

what doesn't make sense, at the very least in terms of "politeness", is Sonore guys regularly popping-out in threads (even in sponsored areas) about their competitors products "depreciating" them 🙄

 

oh... wait... it actually makes sense pretty much!

 

might this be the reason why I never considered buying anything from them? 😜

 

seriously (Sonore) guys: I do appreciate your knowledge and contributions in many areas of this hobby (for us)

but being it a business (too) for you... ethics should make you stay silent whenever competitors stuff is involved ;)

Qnap HS-251+ NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a ZeroZone 19v/5A LPS) > Lumin U1 Mini (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) >  UpTone Audio ISO Regen (powered by an Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2) > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier + First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

 

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U1 Mini > Metrum Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

what doesn't make sense, at the very least in terms of "politeness", is Sonore guys regularly popping-out in threads (even in sponsored areas) about their competitors products "depreciating" them

Umm?  Please point out any comments which I have made which are critical of Lumin products, and I will ask Chris to remove them.  I try to make a point of never criticizing any other companies' products (with the very rare exception of products which might cause actual damage or poor performance is used together with a Sonore product).

The fact is I like and appreciate Lumin products, and have spoken positively of them many times on these forums.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

                                                                                           SONORE computer audio

Link to post
Share on other sites

This comes to mind:

 

"There is no actual reason to believe that.... "

 

While not a slam against any particular vendor, it caused me to take note and wonder if there was some agenda, hidden or otherwise, at work.  Maybe it's just a sign that some of us, me included, are all a little too sensitive these days................

Lumin X1, iFi PRO iDSD, iFi PRO iCAN, Questyle Twelve (Master), Marantz AV8805, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, Ultimate Ears UE-18, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

@barrows it actually is the very first time on a Lumin product

can't say the same about Allo's or UpTone's

 

also... it's not you the one who usually does what I said and this wasn't directed at you, I reacted here 'cause... enough is enough 😶

so forgive me for calling out *you*

 

my point, though, doesn't change

Qnap HS-251+ NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a ZeroZone 19v/5A LPS) > Lumin U1 Mini (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) >  UpTone Audio ISO Regen (powered by an Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2) > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier + First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

 

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U1 Mini > Metrum Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlueSkyy said:

This comes to mind:

 

"There is no actual reason to believe that.... "

 

While not a slam against any particular vendor, it caused me to take note and wonder if there was some agenda, hidden or otherwise, at work.  Maybe it's just a sign that some of us, me included, are all a little too sensitive these days................

In my follow up comment I made the statement that both the LeedH volume control and the the volume control in Roon are likely transparent.  i do not find anything about these statements to be critical, but I am sorry if you do.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

                                                                                           SONORE computer audio

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

it actually is the very first time on a Lumin product

can't say the same about Allo's or UpTone's

 

also... it's not you the one who usually does what I said and this wasn't directed at you, I reacted here 'cause... enough is enough 😶

so forgive me for calling out *you*

 

my point, though, doesn't change

I can only speak for myself here.  And again: I like and appreciate Lumin products, and have said many positive things about them on these forums.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

                                                                                           SONORE computer audio

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, barrows said:

In my follow up comment I made the statement that both the LeedH volume control and the the volume control in Roon are likely transparent.  i do not find anything about these statements to be critical, but I am sorry if you do.

Thank you for taking the time to explain.  As I mentioned, I did not find the comment critical.  I simply found it to be to be "impolite" possibly because of the abruptness of the original comment.

 

My sincere apologies for overthinking things and please enjoy the rest of your day.

Lumin X1, iFi PRO iDSD, iFi PRO iCAN, Questyle Twelve (Master), Marantz AV8805, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, Ultimate Ears UE-18, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlueSkyy said:

Thank you for taking the time to explain.  As I mentioned, I did not find the comment critical.  I simply found it to be to be "impolite" possibly because of the abruptness of the original comment.

 

My sincere apologies for overthinking things and please enjoy the rest of your day.

No worries, I am just glad we have it straightened out.  

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

                                                                                           SONORE computer audio

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueSkyy said:

Peter, regarding the interplay of the Lumin volume control and the maximum volume setting, as well as Leedh, I would like to know, if not proprietary:

 

1.  When setting max volume to, say 60 in my case, are the volumetric steps, in db, offered by the control in the Lumin app now 60% of what the equivalent change would have been if the volume limit was set to 100%?  Or is the volume limit simply a maximum above which the Lumin output cannot go?

 

2.  Is the volume limit adhere to the requirements set by the Leedh volume algorithm?

 

1. Actual volume = main volume (in circle) * Max Volume % .  For example, the main volume in circle is 80, but the Max Volume % is 60, then the actual volume is 48.  This is true regardless of whether Leedh Processing Volume is enabled or not.

 

2. The volume limit is not set by Leedh.  The individual steps, however, conform to Leedh algorithm requirements.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wklie said:

 

1. Actual volume = main volume (in circle) * Max Volume % .  For example, the main volume in circle is 80, but the Max Volume % is 60, then the actual volume is 48.  This is true regardless of whether Leedh Processing Volume is enabled or not.

 

2. The volume limit is not set by Leedh.  The individual steps, however, conform to Leedh algorithm requirements.

Thanks for that information.  In order to have the combination of main volume and max volume work for both listening through my main speakers and having my headphone set ups with reasonable volume control settings on those devices when listening with one of the Lumin's digital outputs I needed to put an additional -10 db in line with the Lumin's XLR outputs but I am good to go for now.

Lumin X1, iFi PRO iDSD, iFi PRO iCAN, Questyle Twelve (Master), Marantz AV8805, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, Ultimate Ears UE-18, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wklie said:

I would also invite non-Lumin users to buy our product and try it.  :)

 

and what about Lumin users waiting for a U2 streamer so they can move the U1 Mini to their secondary system? 😛

Qnap HS-251+ NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a ZeroZone 19v/5A LPS) > Lumin U1 Mini (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) >  UpTone Audio ISO Regen (powered by an Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2) > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier + First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

 

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U1 Mini > Metrum Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Link to post
Share on other sites

@wkliePeter I am out of my depth here.  Can the benefits of the LeedH volume be fully enjoyed when an external dac is used, for example MHDTLabs Orchid Dac.  Does adjusting the volume have any deleterious effect on the performance of the dac?  Are there any particular compatibility factors to be taken into account when selecting a power amplifier?  By the way I am using the UI Mini.  Thanks.  

LOUNGE: Lab12 Gordian Power Conditioner>Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 AC2600 WI-FI Extender>Kasimo 3mtr. CAT 8 Ethernet cable/snap on ferrites>Lumin UI Mini Transport/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v 4amp Linear PSU>Bluejeans Belden 1694A spdif Interconnect>MHDTLabs Orchid DAC>Townshend DCT 300 RCA Interconnects>Amplifier Air Tight AMT-1S>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Audium Comp 7 Passive Speakers/Aperion Aluminium Ribbon Super Tweeters Mk. 11.  Schumann Resonance generators x 2.

LIVING ROOM:- Bluesound Node2i (as streamer only)/Qobuz Studio>Bluejeans Belden 1694A spdif. interconnect>iFi Retro 50/LS3.5 Speakers.  Schumann Resonance generators x 2.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@wklie,

 

Peter I had not previously tried bypassing my preamp, but did some experimentation yesterday with my LUMIN X1.   I have some older 4-way active speakers, so the connection is actually to the analog actitve crossover and then from there to amps.  My current installed XLR cables are not quite long enough to reach.  I did not move my preamp, a Vinnie Rossi Signature L2.  It is a DHT tubed  unit and I do not have room in other than its current shelf location due to height.  I did not want to completely rearrange everything for my limited testing.  My first test involved removing current output XLRs, Triode Wire Labs, from the X1 and replacing with Mogami I had in storage.  The presentation is very clear and transparent and appears louder than through my VR preamp.  The presentation appears more dynamic but loudness can very much influence that perception.  I also did some checking of mixing cables while using the preamp by replacing the TWL cables to the VR while keeping a TWL pair to the crossover, reversing that by running TWL to the VR and Mogami to the crossover, and then just Mogami to the VR and out to the crossover as well as prior TWL for both.   I was checking for inital impressions during all this and did not allow any one test to settle in for long period.

 

The inital impressions were interesting enough I will want to spend more time on each change with preselected musci selections I repeat for each.  I may also include doing so just from the LUMIN App and also using Roon for selecting and playing the music.  

 

I am using iPad to control the LUMIN App.  There is a great deal of configuration and control afforded by the LUMIN App, but I do miss the ease of a handheld remote for quick access to volume adjustments, muting, and in the case of the preamp, selectability for sources,  and fine adjustment of channel emphasis--not balancing of tube bias but output volume bias by channel.

 

As a suggestion, you may want to consider adding the up/down interface arrows in the App as well as slide bar for Leedh like is present for Volume.  Also suggest channel level emphasis control from center position similar to preamp to better dial in when speakers cannot be same identical distance from listener.  Ability to dial in improves imaging and soundstage perceptions.

 

Thanks

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...