IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Well, if you really like it, maybe consider a trial. Return it for a full refund. Sorry for the sales pitch! :)

Hi psme - Please include your industry affiliation in your signature. Also, be very careful when talking about your product and competitors' products. A couple rules have worked well here on CA. 1. You can talk about your product when directly asked a question about it and 2. When in doubt don't comment.

Feel free to contact me if you aren't sure if you're breaking the rules.

Many manufacturers have learned the hard way that discussing their own products in a sketchy fashion backfires in a big way.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
When there are norms and standards, yes. When there are not, I do not like.

What is the maximum image size in a Flac? AIF? 1MB, 10MB, 1 GB?

I would have appreciated to also integrate the names, addresses, birth dates, hobbies, of the audience at Woodstock :)

Even some tags in AIF files raise issues, Jriver, Foobar, Lumin, etc.

If you were talking about renderers that provide the image on a screen (which is not a good idea IMHO), to be included in the file or outside is the same. If the image is too big, you can break gapless, because image and audio takes the same Ethernet path.

Let us talk about a container as MKV for video, with audio, pictureS, PDF: OK. But to include different data types in the file is not, IMHO, a good format, for any computer development, or with very strong norms, then it is OK

Kind regards.

Max image size doesn't have to matter if the renderer is designed to handle reasonable sized images. I can send files with several large embedded images to a JRiver renderer without breaking gapless whereas most Bridge Co / Stream Unlimited products will choke on the files. Different data types shouldn't matter. I want to store all kinds of stuff inside the file. This reduces complexity greatly. For example the file named folder.jpg is different from the file named Folder.jpg and both are different from FOLDER.jpg. Setting an app like MPaD to find this album art doesn't work because it can only look for one filename. Not the best design, but it wouldn't matter if everything was embedded.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I suspect that the Lumin is a timely product in the market and that a year from now they will have many competitors in the $2-3K range. Its at the bleeding edge of market adoption now, few competitors but time will change that along with enough volume to drive pricing down. So more a question of do you want to pay the price tag required to be among the few that can afford bleeding edge or wait a year when volume demand supports manufacturing economy

I don't think this is bleeding edge at all. Linn has been doing this for many years. Most of the major brands of receivers have been doing DLNA for years as well. The difference with the Lumin is sound quality and it works with everything.

What surprises me is that you continually get away with such blatant advertising...

The first part of the post, fine, but the subjective "LUMIN is the best thing out there" anecdotes are beyond what I expect Chris to allow... Obviously he is being swayed by advertising despite his protestations...

Eloise

Lumin doesn't advertise with CA. Silent Source is a Texas based dealer who advertises the Lumin product here on CA.

I think his ending statement, "Some will call me bullshit! And many simply won't care any device at >$3k." is an admittance that he has a vested interest and realizes we are all adults who can make up our own mind. Many manufacturers should believe their products are the best there available. Nobody wants to create the second best. Thus, it should be implied a manufacturer has these beliefs whether it says them in print or not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
One month and dead end trying to configure Lumin with NAS now thinking USB with Lumin Music Player, but Lumin dealers I've emailed know nothing about availability. Like to know if Lumin Music Server will be available in both finishes and at what price in US dollars? Thank you.

Have you tried working with the dealer who sold the Lumin to you?

Of course. My first stop. Not all is candy canes and joy for every buyer. It's been frustration from the get-go. Dealer couldn't do it and went to best tech guy he uses, then I went to QNAP's best techs with two hour phone calls and remote desktop. Still no go. Plays fine with cheap USB WD My Passport, flash drives. Of course those devices aren't the stuff of audiophile dreams, hence my asking about Lumin Music Server. Dealer won't take my Lumin back as says works with USB so no reason to accept as non-working unit. The positive = dealers out-of-state tech works at audio shop where owner says he'll send me soon a SSD setup gratis. Ah the mysterious machinations of the Lumin dealer network.

Who is the dealer?

I must say, reading this thread and those on other boards, that the Lumin sounds very difficult to set up. A nice piece of hardware perhaps, but the software and integration apparently are not what they might be.

People say of Apple or Sonos products sometimes "it just works," and then wonder in the next breath why more people don't embrace "high end" audio!

It's not rocket science but not as easy as Apple. However apple doesn't offer this feature set.

Dealers selling this should be able to get it working in a customer's house. Period.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I am having issues with seeing my Reference Recordings HRX albums on the Lumin...Issue with Reference Recording HRX wav filesI am running the latest Minimserver on a Synology DS1813+ with the Lumin I have DVD media of many of the Reference Recordings HRX high resolution albums which are WAV files with 24/176 resolution. I basically copied the files directly from the media to the /Music volume on the DS1813..However my Lumin control point app does not see any of those albums or artists. I am wondering if I need to convert those wav files to some other foirmat like AIFF or ALAC (to maintain resolution) to "play nice" with Minimserver? A second option would be to try and tag the albums/songs.

What would you recommend? Thanks

The albums are probably listed under Unknown or something similar. The HRx files have no readable tags in this case. I would convert them if you want to tag them and find them easily.

• 2 weeks later...
They both play computer files in the end, where they get it from, network, or internal HDD is really a matter that is hardly relevant to the issue being discussed here.

But do you think S1 for $15,000 is fairly priced, compared to their own A1 for $7,200?

These two devices are completely different and are for different customers.

My Honda Accord and an 18 wheel semi truck use fuel derived from crude oil. Same fuel base (gasoline and Diesel are different of course) and same outcome, both transport things from one place to another. The Sony and Lumin both use digital files and produce sound as the outcome. What's in the middle is very different and what really matters.

But do you think one design is inherently more expensive, than the other?

Speaking of value, if you think A1 is not a good value at $7,200, then S1 at $15,000- even more questionable in my opinion

I don't think any of us has enough information to judge the expense of each design and how the MSRP numbers are generated. There are so many things that can go into a final price. When it comes down to it, a product is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Questions of value are unique to ever individual.

• 3 months later...
Hello folks. Does anybody know if you can set the IP address of the Lumin S1 (or A1 for that matter) to an address of your own choosing? Thanks in advance and have a good day/evening.

Not sure about setting it on the specific device, but I know you can set an address reservation in most routers that hand out DHCP addresses.

• 3 years later...
18 hours ago, Flashman said:

Newbie here.

I am thinking of replacing my Devialet 200 with a Lumin (thinking about the D2).  Why?  I am impressed with the Lumin product range and support.  On the latter point, I do like MQA (not interested in debating the topic, though ?) and that's one of my reasons for thinking I might move to Lumin, as the entire range offers MQA support, which Devialet does not and probably will not in the future.  Also, those who have Lumin crow about its analog sound.  My current set-up can sound digital at times and I think I might be able to tame it with a Lumin approach.

Has anyone on this forum moved from Devialet to Lumin?  If so, can you tell me your experience?

Thanks in advance!  Cheers, Flashman

Hi Flashman - I’ve used both products and believe the sound you describe mirrors my experience. 

Are you using the Devialet for amplification as well?

37 minutes ago, Flashman said:

Yes, I am using the Devialet for amplification.  My system is a Devialet Expert 200 powering Vivid Oval 1.5 speakers.  My only hardware source is a Bluesound Node 2 that I use for casual listening.  Most of my serious listening is via Roon/Devialet Ethernet (Air).

Would you still use the Devialet for an amp if you got the Lumin?

3 minutes ago, Flashman said:

I was thinking of moving from the Devialet for two primary reasons: 1) the sound can be a little too digital at times, and 2) the cost to upgrade from an Expert to an Expert Pro is silly: about USD7490, including new casework.  I think that's way too dear to avail myself of the new software development path and marginal SQ enhancement.  So in answer to your question, I would not use the Devialet plus the Lumin.  I would be looking for different amplification, such as an nCore amp from Nord or other company.  Or a Hegel integrated.

Ah. That makes sense. 

I’m a big fan of Hegel. Really nice people and really nice products. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@wklie Is there a reason why information is removed from the track name in the LUMIN app? I’m working on my review of the X1 and ran into this. See screenshots below. In the top screenshot from the Qobuz app, tracks 1 and 2 have more information than in the LUMIN app. This is very important info as the entire sound of the track is different in this case. 

F749731B-7D2F-4A00-9146-5F298378D919.png

2C5D6FF5-42C4-4016-8020-3C4D0341FA9A.png