IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I just bought Lumin U1 Mini. I think it is a wonderful gear. Two issues though. I run it with my Samsung Galaxy Android 8.1.0 (32 GB). I have set up a hirdwired laptop (W10) connected with a HDD to the router as a server. My music software is JRiver v26 which is run in DNLA mode in "Audiophile 24 bits dac". 

1. The app works quite ok normally but other times it does not connect to the U1 Mini after having been in stand by. I try over and over. Sometimes it helps to make hard restart on the U1 Mini. Other times I have remove the app and reinstall it (and reload my music library of 4.080 albums). Is there someting I have missed?

2. I also tried to run the U1 Mini using JRiver in JRemote. It works but I have not found a way to play gapless. Any advices and solutions known to you?

(Reason I use JRiver is that I have more tags possibilities i JRiver, mainly on classical music like searching by soloist, conductor, composer, orchestra for the same albums - that is why I'm also reluctant to go for a NAS with Minim Server. Impacting is also the amount of allbums I have to rework).

Thanks for your quick support, @wklie It is really appreciated.

I have not tried 2) yet on JRiver yet, but I will. At the same time I'm beginning to like Lumin app more and more. The problem I desribed previously 1) is still there. I have tried also Linn Kazoo and Bubble DS but same result. It is not a problem once the U1 Mini opened up. The issue is that it does note wake up through the app. The server is vissible but not the Lumin.

What I do now is that I just clear the play list and let Lumin display stay with the blue ring. I have disabled the stand by function. Then there are no issues, but I can't get it live from the app and it is the same with Bubble and Linn.

I hope you can give me some hints on how go about it.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:38 AM, wklie said:

please check this.

I will look into this after Christmas as I do not want to jeopardize the use during the X-mas. It works very well if I let the U1 Mini be on day and night or turn on/off on the back.

Just a comment on my tablet. I use Galaxy tablet SM-T580 (32 GB) with Android 8.1.0

I will revert as soon as I have tried.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:38 AM, wklie said:

I'd like to have this tested on a wired network, so it rules out the Lumin app on iPad

@wklie My issue with my remote is solved. I bought an iPad and now everything is working as supposed. It seams there is an interface problem between the Lumin iPad app and the one made for Android or that there is a special feature thar has to be closed or ticked in Android. However, I can't find any. Another difference is that the Android Lumin app close down "time after time". The Android app seems not be ready, which is a pity. There are many Android tablets and mobiles out there.

Anyway, my problem seems to be over and I am very satisfied with my U1 Mini. It looks great, sounds excellent with a well working app on iPads.

Just a final (?) question: what does the function "Diable Auto-Lock" do with the options "Off - Playing - Charging" do? I can't find any explanation on this on your home page

I bought a LUMIN U1 Mini. Unfortunaly it was far away from a ”Plug & Play” experience. The good news is that I can’t blame any of this on LUMIN.

My first experience was ”network error” on Lumin. It ended up in buying a new router as the one provided from my network supplier did not work together with U1 Mini. Second experience was instable app using Android. It closed down numbers of time and on top of this it could not wake up U1 Mini from ”stand by” position. Why my Android did not work I can only guess. Obviously some conflict of some sort. So I bought an iPad and since then everything works great. I’m very satisfied. 

I also have a question for you. I have set up U1 Mini using JRiver in my laptop which is also my server just sending unprocessed files from a HDD connected over USB to my laptop and then over my network to U1 Mini. I also use the laptop for ripping, downloading and catalogue structure built and maintained in JRiver. The laptop is dedicated for this mission only. I only stream my private files, about 300 downloaded hi-res files and 4,000 ripped albums (about 1,000 more to go). I have no interest of Roon or streaming from external sources. I’m the old fashion type that want to own my albums.

This is how I have set it up today (sorry for some Swedish words but I think you get it).

The reason I use AES/EBU is due to I’m not in favour of the USB contact quality. For sound I find them equal with some (small) favor for AES/EBU but the main advantage is stability.

91D8332A-E30F-471F-9941-49DC7102A592.jpeg.1740eee60dee1b458f9ce00c1a9b08ed.jpeg

My intention has been to connect a NAS but after reading back and forth, not least on this forum, I am a bit reluctant to do so. My main concerns are the following: 

• With a NAS as server I need a new software to maintain the files. The most talked about is MinimServer (together with Java). What I am afraid of is to rebuild the structure I used with JRiver for approx 4,300 albums and also the album images I have replaced with higher resolution (a couple of hundreds). Do you know a way to export the structure from JRiver (artist - album - genre - year - recent ripped (plus composer - soloist - conductor - orchestra on classical music)?
  • Do you see any ”concerns” or issues continue as I do it? Points of improvements?

Sorry for long post but I do not get a clear picture reading all posts using one or the other way. They are going all ways from negative to positive on both using NAS and MinimServer so I hope I can get your opinion my solution in a more direct way.

6 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

Where did you find the application again?

I went out looking and found this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/GUIDE/Jriver_ENG.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj1ueb3vuDmAhWO-ioKHQc8CQkQFjAEegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0ooHYtTcqMgGDNOEggvA0K

I talked to a friend working with IT in his profession. He warned me a bit at this requires a "Docker/Container-teknology". Don't ask me what this means (yet). I will look into it to understand. The guy told me that I have to rebuils my IT structure to make this work. I can't say what this means in practice either. First we celebrate new year...

After hours and hours testing back and forth using USB or AES/ESB cables, I have decided to go for AES/EBU on my Lumin U1 Mini. First of all the XLR contacts feels more secure. With USB cables (Transparent) I have had a couple of occasions where Lumin lose contact with the dac. If this is due to Lumin, the contacts or the dac I can't say. (When I used laptop as a player it happened quite frequent). With AES/EBU I have not had this issue. It feels much more stable. On top of this I think it sounds a bit tighter thou it is on the margin and I can't say it is reality or just a feeling. That this will give max pcm 24/192 I do not see as an issue.

At the same time I have 100+ dsd-albums that I prefer to play in their native format. So I tried to connect the USB cable as well and witched source on the dac when I play dsd. It worked well. But when going back to pcm over AES/EBU it did not work. It was "hacking". I reboted Lumin and then it was OK again but only to back next time again. Obviously it is not possible to have two connections at the same time like from a preamplifier.

A request for the future is to make this possible. It increase flexibility instead connect and disconnect cables. A question of curiosity is why this is not working as an option today?

8 hours ago, roadCingKlassik said:

. I have the Mini connected to North Star Design DAC via usb and aes.

This worked for me as well but not allways. It starts "tugging" when going from one to other. But if I reboot it worked again until next switch. I use Aesthetix Romulus dac. 

@wklieNow a new issue have showed up with my Lumin U1 Mini in my network with JRiver. I'm surprised as I have not done any changes in my server. It is only used as server for my music. 

On pcm (via USB), each track shift start with 2-3 seconds music than quiet for 2-3 seconds and then track plays ok until next track shift when the issue repeats. This has been the case now for 3 days. I have rebooted everything and tried with different settings in JRiver but it is coming back. I do not have this issue playing pure dsd or converting to pcm to dsd.

Any hint om where to seek the error?

1 hour ago, Ropet said:

@wklieNow a new issue have showed up with my Lumin U1 Mini in my network with JRiver.

Case closed for now...

I found and tried to uncheck "DLNA Extra" in JRiver and made a new restart. It seems to work. On top of this I got rid of "clicks" between tracks in dsd. If it comes back I open the "issue" again.

15 hours ago, Ropet said:

Case closed for now...

I found and tried to uncheck "DLNA Extra" in JRiver and made a new restart. It seems to work. On top of this I got rid of "clicks" between tracks in dsd. If it comes back I open the "issue" again.

My happyness was short lived... Today it is the same issue again. USB or AES does not matter. After first 2-3 seconds quite for 2-3 seconds and then OK until next track. Only on pcm. It is very annoying.

Thanks. I did so but no changes. The issues was when I made upsamples to 88.2. Previuosly I used 176.4. Could this be an issue? So I went back to the higher upsampling and the issue disappeared. When I go back to 88.2, the problem is there again. So I stay with 176,4, which I can live with. However, something is wrong.

I only use Lumin app.

//

48 minutes ago, wklie said:

Which DAC model is it? 

I also guess it be the dac or something else throughout the chain that creates a misfit. I had no answers on it from JRiver.

Now I also tried to play a 24/48 album as native. Same problem. When I upsample to 96 no issue.

I also tried a 24/88,2 album in native. No problem but when upsample a 16/44,1 to 24/88,2 problem is back. The upsampling problem to 88,2 appears with both USB and AES.

It is only 48 in native format and upsampling to 88,2 from 44,1 that seems to an issue for now. Maximum for my dac is 24/384 and dsd128 and they are ok as well.

My dac is an Aesthetix Romulus cd/dac Signature edition. It should have crystals also for 88.2

If it just an issue with 48 and 88,2 I can live with it as there is anbeasy way out, but it should be nice to have the problem confirmed and 

On 1/14/2020 at 3:00 PM, wklie said:

Have you tried RCA coax and Toslink?

Today I bought a Toslink and a RCA Coax. It started well with RCA Coax. First two tracks upsampled from 44.1 to 88.2 worked as supposed to but on the third track the dropout of approximate 2 seconds was back after 2-3 seconds. Exactly the same story with Toslink. Increasing to 176.4 or higher, the problem is gone.

When thinking back, I think I had the same issue when playing from my laptop some years ago. This might very well be when I upsampled to 88.2 as well. I can't recall. 

I will contact Jim White at Aesthetix to have his view. As it works with higher upsampling, I can live with it, but this is not as should perform so I will continue to search the solution.

//

4 hours ago, texashaker said:

My new LUMIN U1 Mini Player does not play DSD files. Specifically, I am using the AES/EBU XLR Output of the LUMIN to my AES/EBU XLR Input of my stereo preamp and I am hearing hiss. 

This has nothing to do with Lumin. The AES/EBU standard does not include DSD. It is a PCM format up to 24/192

11 minutes ago, wklie said:

DoP was designed for USB transmission in the first place.

At the same time it is a bit strange in my view as DoP is transported in pcm package and dsd64 fits in the AES3 standard of max 24/192. But I can also understand the lower focus on implementing circuites for it. After all the chase for dsd is not that huge and I guess the real dsd-aficionades go for higher dsd128 or higher and will still need the USB solution.

2 hours ago, msr said:

Any hint?

Could it be that your cache memory is full? This can slow down all programs. I do not know how this is managed in iPad and iPhone but in Android there are tools to clear this from time to time. Are you using internal memory or memory cards? This can also have impact? Other programs running in the background might also influence.

I have not experienced the problem you have on iPad. The respons time is very short.

@wklie A smaller issue has showed up. It is not critical as everything works, but it is a "hygenic" factor I want to understand.

In the MinimServer error log I get the following message (several repeated lines):

MinimServer: Incorrect format for object ID '0$albums$showaa'

I contacted MinimServer who responded: This message is caused by your control point (the LUMIN app) using cached local information that is out of sync with MinimServer. If you reload the MinimServer library into the LUMIN app after making changes to the library, you should not see these messages.

When checking the database there are no errors to my eyes. I have both restarted, reloaded and re-scanned after my last uploads to the database. Any hint on what is behind this and what to correct/add?

1 hour ago, wklie said:

did you try Rescan first then Reload MinimServer?

Yes, I did. 

Meanwhile I was asked by MinimServer to provide them with my app version (6.1.14) so that they could repeat it on their side. They got the same result as me. They will contact Lumin to solve the issue. You can follow the discussion on MinimServer Forum/Support/Initial Setup from post #36 and onwards where they also explain why Lumin send an error message.