IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

There may be no user serviceable parts inside, BUT the 2 bolts which hold the transformer in place are loose. I want my technician to be able to tighten them up, but to do that, he will have to open it up. Please can somebody give me that little nuggget of advice so the job can be done? 

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

forgetting about it and using the volume control on your analogue pre 😛

having a feature doesn't mean you *must* use it ;)

No, I agree, but if it is a more transparent way of controlling volume, rather than using the Roon volume control or the analog preamp volume control, it would make sense to use it!

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

The Skipjack looks pretty interesting.  Because I use XLR exclusively, I chose another route.  I have my X1 going into a 4 in 1 out manual switchbox the output of which goes to the front L/R mono amps.  I also needed to take the output of my H.T. Processor, and a digital output of the X1 so I can use my subwoofer when I want to, so I take front L/R outputs of that box to another input of the manual switch box.  Another input is dedicated to the iFi Pro iDSD that I sometimes use to compare to the sound of the X1 and the fourth and final input of the box is to take the output of a Questyle Twelve Master to also challenge the status quo of he X1 and the iDSD.  (Note:  The manual switch box is also remotely controllable as I have my daughter and wife trained to make the input selections on verbal command.)  Just kidding!

Enjoy the music!

What make and model is the manual switchbox please?

• 3 months later...
On 12/29/2012 at 5:56 AM, Jsmith said:

Re: Lumin players: quote: "If the DAC section is so good it is a shame there are not more inputs...."

The answer is there, if you search for it.

I subscribe to Quobuz.

I also have a Naim Core which I ripped my CD collection to, and this is found automatically on my network by Roon, which then feeds my Lumin player.

I don't even have to choose which source to use, or switch between them.

Roon seamlessly integrates all of my music, on my Core, or through Qobuz, or any digital downloads that I have saved, into one digital collection.

I don't need to use the Naim, Qobuz or Lumin apps. I just set them all to my required settings, then I sit back and use Roon to control my listening.

So the combination of Roon and a Lumin player actually gives you more inputs, as well as the benefits of using Roon itself.

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, DrNikonian said:

I have T1 Lumin...
...I am planning to upgrade  into powered amplifier such as Cambridge Edge W. Do you think Lumin T1 good enough as a DAC and pre-amp to driver a powered amplifier? 

I also use a T1. It is very ‘musical’ as well as being detailed and having a wonderful tonal balance. I use the XLR outputs directly into an ATC preamp and it sounds terrific. I prefer using it through the preamp rather than direct to my large active speakers. Its internal DACs are excellent. The T1 benefits from good physical isolation (feet, stand, mass on top, etc.)

It would cost a lot (probably 3 times what I paid for it used) to better it, I feel.

On 10/27/2020 at 9:53 AM, kzs70 said:

This sounds very promising, I will try it too...Thanks!

Edit: it seems they only have 4x1 version, 4 inputs and 1 output.

Ideally I would need 2x2 or 4x2, as I have a headphone power amp too, so need 2 outputs. I have Googled it but have not found a switch like that...

I also bought a Chinese unit called a Nobsound from Douk on eBay which has 2 or 3 inputs and 2 outputs, a combination of xlr and RCA sockets, very cheaply, on “the auction site”. Check them out too.

6 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

That's a nice looking little box.  It says it converts from RCA to XLR, etc.  Unless they use transformers internally, I don't believe that the benefits of a balanced connection such as common mode noise rejection, etc. would be realized but I could be wrong.

I think you’re correct there are no transformers in this one.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, wklie said:

When not using the Lumin X1 native SFP support, you may still use a pair of fiber media converters (FMC) to have fiber isolation:

WiFi router or network switch - (LAN cable) - FMC - (fiber) - FMC - (LAN cable) - Lumin

Lumin T2 / D2 / M1 / U1 (MINI): Use a pair of TP-Link MC210CS

Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 : Use a pair of TP-Link MC110CS (Note: old hardware revisions of MC210CS is not compatible)

Between the pair of non-SFP FMC you need a single mode SC-SC duplex Corning fiber (note: SC-SC is for a pair of FMC, not for SFP or X1) such as:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3m-SC-SC-duplex-9-125um-Corning-ClearCurve-single-mode-bend-insensitive-fiber/232757309790?hash=item36316ab15e:g:ixgAAOSwcJ1a7Oct:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

The Lumin-side FMC needs to be driven by a LPS, an inexpensive one is:
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...gDrillDownView

Another simpler option is to use something like GigaFOIL at higher cost.

Is it your experience, Peter, that inserting a fibre optic link in this way does improve not only the theoretical isolation, but also the sonic outcome? ie Did Lumin fit the optical input on the X1 because it is KNOWN to have a beneficial effect to the sound? Or is it just there for 'future-proofing' ?

29 minutes ago, barrows said:

Not Peter but but there is nothing "theoretical" about the isolation proved by an optical fiber Network connection.  The (galvanic) isolation provided by an optical fiber cable is absolute and not subject to "theory".

Yes, absolutely, of course you are correct, barrows.

Perhaps what I should have said is:

"Is it your experience, Peter, that inserting a fibre optic link in this way not only provides galvanic isolation, but that this does actually improves the sonic outcome?   ie Did Lumin fit the optical input on the X1 because it is KNOWN to have a beneficial effect to the sound? Or is it just there for 'future-proofing' ?"

8 hours ago, One and a half said:

Well, if copper is converted to optical and then back again to copper there's two power supplies that can be removed. Unless the connection is more than 100m, then the extra conversion allows more noise at either end of the optical chain.

The X1 is the only Lumin with optical, so it avoids the last conversion externally and is treated inside the X1, fair enough. I'm not willing to spend $$,$$$ to perhaps improve the sound which I may not audibly pick-up. 

So for now, the U1 is doing a great job with copper, saving for an Etheregen to add in the future.

If copper is converted to optical and optical back to copper, you need 2 converters, which are active, POWERED units, with their own wall warts. OR you could add an LPS, but they DO need power!

• 3 months later...
Just now, Hypercell said:

Hello Peter,

Is the umbilical cable connecting the X1 power Supply the same of the standard A1 Power Supply?

Thank you for the answer

No, The X1 power supply uses a different plug at both ends to connect to the X1 Streamer. However, the X1 power supply can be ordered with a special cable free of charge to connect to the A1, T1, or S1.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an S1 (bought used, recently) and I still have a T1.

The first time I tried to use the S1, I did a power off / hold & keep holding reset button in for 20+ secs and power on.

I got the small writing saying it was going to reboot, then the small dim circle.

And that's how it stayed.

How long does a reboot take? I gave up and powered down.

So I re-connected my older T1 to my system, which powered up immediately, and then decided to reboot this one ready for selling on.

Only the T1 did the same thing.

Again, just a static dim circle.

And despite rebooting everything else in the system (including my iPad) several times, which had no effect, neither Lumin device shows up in my Lumin iPad app.

What should my next step be please?

Continuing from the comments above, I have 2 separate networks available to me to use, both of which are functioning fine.

In all cases, I have ensured that the iPad is connected to the same network as the Lumin T1 or S1.

All I get now, when I turn on either Lumin device, is a pale blue circle which seems like it is doing nothing.

And my iPad won't connect to them.

My music downloads source is working fine, when it runs direct through a DAC.

But WHAT does the pale blue circle mean on a Lumin screen And how do I bring it back to life?

Please!!!!

Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 12.16.33.png

Thank you, thingswelike.

That gave me some good clues and, with a bit of self-help,  got me up and running.

I use Qobuz through Roon, and the Roon app is now working fine.  I  found that I needed to enable the S1 in Roon.

I hate it when I don't know what's going on!

However, I still can't see my S1 in the Lumin app, for some reason :-(

I was led to believe that my S1 had the latest update, which would therefore mean it had Leedh volume.

However, the splash screen when I turn the S1 on doesn't show the Leedh logo. So I guess it's not up to date.

So my next question is a two-parter....

1) How do I get the S1 to show up in the Lumin app.

2) Is it then straightforward, using the Lumn app, to download the latest update for the S1 including Leedh.