IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

New T1 owner here.  Just set it up today. Sounding great right out of the box.  I am still feeling my way around the Lumin app as I have been used to the BluOS controller with my Node2...a little different look and feel.  My only real issue appears to be with TIDAL.  Although I have a hifi account when I open Tidal from the Lumin app I am not getting a tab for MASTERS.  I had this table on the BluOS and from the documentation I have read I should have this tab in the Lumin app.  The app is able to recognize MQA recordings and play them as such, I'm just missing that tab that contains MQA albums.  I have checked my Tidal account settings and everything appears ok. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

@Wklie

I am using an iPad Air.  I tried rebooting iPad, deleting and re-installing the Lumin app and resetting the T1. I also tried it on my iPhone 7+....still no masters tab.  I checked with Tidal to see if there might be a problem with my account settings; they referred me to Lumin support.  Any ideas what is happening here?

Thank you for fixing this.  Yes I understand there are many more MQA titles than are displayed in the Masters folder.  That folder though is a convenient way to look for some of the new releases.  I find many more MQA files while searching for artists and albums.  I have also used the list you linked.  BTW I am really enjoying the Lumin T1 player.

• 1 year later...

I have a question to the group about my volume control options with my T-1 streamer/DAC.  My T-1 is connected to an Audio Research LS-15 line stage using analog outputs.  The LS-15 is a balanced design as is the Lumin so I would prefer to use the balanced connection.  However the output of the Lumin is very high relative to the preamp and I am not able to turn the volume knob past the 9 o'clock position...usually even lower than that.  I can connect with regular RCA cables and get better range on the volume control of the preamp....but I lose the advantage of the balanced connection.  I can also purchase a pair of Rothwell balanced attenuators to tame the output.  Alternatively I could lower the volume of Lumin by using it's digital volume control.  I understand that in most circumstances it is not recommended to lower the volume via the digital control in the player....but I have also heard that in the newer DACs this is no longer an issue.  of the following options, which do you think would offer the best sound quality.

1.  Running balanced as is and live with the limited volume range of my preamp

2.  Running RCA cables between Lumin and preamp

3  Using balanced attenuators

4. Lowering the volume of the Lumin T1 using the players digital volume control

Thanks for your opinions and input.

Randy

• 7 months later...

Not every preference is a conspiracy or the result of propaganda. Opinions DO vary.  It is not important to be "right" in this hobby.  And why the need to question the preferences of someone else just because they are not the same as yours?  What happened to just agreeing to disagree?  

"you have a simple perception if you like Lumin..."

This is the attitude (usually just implied) that I find aggravating about much of the discourse on some of these forums.  The arrogance of the poster to suggest that if you like a product that he does not that your perception is simply lacking is simply rude and uncalled for.   You are certainly to free to criticize a product.  Debates about sound quality is a fundamental part of what make these discussions fun and informative.  The variety of tastes, preferences, and opinions are the fabric of diversity that make a hobby like this interesting.  Snide remarks like his is usually how discussions devolve into childish pissing matches.  The moderator was correct in admonishing his behavior.  Lighten up dude and just "agree to disagree" and move on.  No need for the cheap shots.

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Surely you jest. 

I don't think he was jesting at all.  The complete statement suggested he consider if MQA was important to him and that if it was then he would need a MQA DAC.  Surely he was not jesting....that is a truthful straightforward suggestion.  I realize this is your site AND there is a dogmatic anti-MQA culture throughout but that seemed a little unnecessary.  

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a question related to the best way to control volume using my Lumin T2 playing into an Audio Research LS-15 linestage.  The output from the Lumin is relatively high (using RCA) to the extent that I have very limited control range on the preamp volume control.  It's even worse using the balanced output.  Somewhere, I recall reading that if running the streamer through a preamp it is best to set the volume in the Lumin app to 100% and use the preamp to control the volume up and down.  Is this true?  If I lower the volume in the app I am able to utilize more of the preamp volume range.  Also the volume control (Im using Roon) offers much finer increments in volume adjustment than does my preamp.  Am I losing any sound quality by adjusting the volume in Roon?

I did try the Rothwell 10db attenuators.  They handled the volume issue perfectly.  I just thought they deadened the sound somewhat....a loss of high frequency liveliness as I recall.  It's been a while since I tried them.  Maybe I will put them back in for another trial.  Maybe I did not use them "appropriately".  Maybe you can elaborate.  I just plugged them into my preamp input and then plugged my interconnects into them.  Is there more?

Thank you for your detailed explanation.  This issue for me would be moot if my preamp had finer graduations between volume steps.  I like the T2 volume control because it offers much finer control.  I will experiment as you suggested with different combinations to see if I notice a preference.