IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

7 hours ago, sonodynesrp205 said:

Good to hear that. I will use Exposure volume control.

One more question - will be T1 a better match for my system? Maybe I can find used T1.

regards,
Simon

I was in the same boat. I ended up with a D2 and Sbooster power supply which I felt was the right choice. The upgrade to the T2 was more significant in my opinion. 

Headphones: Audeze LCD-3 / Focal Clear/ Sennheiser HD650 

Speakers: Devore Fidelity O/96 and Graham Chartwell LS3/5a

Amps: Leben CS600x / Bottlehead 300b amp and 300b preamp custom

Digital: Lumin X1 and T2 / A&K 120 I DAP

Cables: Foundation Research LC1/2 and Cardas Golden Reference AC, Acoustic Zen Absolute, Silver Ref. II and Cardas Clear and Light ICs

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2023 at 10:25 AM, Siddhi said:

What SFP module are you using? There are laser diodes and there are LED diodes. The led version is of much lower quality. By the way, like a CD player, the laser diode must burn-in, so leave it for at least a week and then do a test.

My X1 had a horrible sound for about a week, but after about 500-600 hours it reached a level from which I no longer heard any change

Interesting- I recently upgraded from the T2 to the X1 (Peter recently linked to my impressions a few posts back). The X1 is stellar - not that the T2 was a slouch. The X1  has really raised the level of fidelity in my system such that I’m no longer preferring vinyl playback across the board.  I had a listen to the DCS Bartok (non apex) which was also stellar, and I heard in the X1 the things that also impressed me in the Bartok. The higher price of the Bartok plus my very positive long term experiences with Lumin (or should I say, Peter) made the decision quite easy to purchase the Lumin. 

I soon purchased the Trendnet SFP switch recommended by Lumin along with two TrendNet SFP single mode modules. Given the general high praise for SFP on the forums, I was surprised that I greatly preferred Ethernet - it wasn’t even close.

Compared to standard Ethernet (no fancy CAT6 cables or audiophile switches), the SFP setup using the Trendnet switch and modules and a fiber optical cable from Fibercables sounded brighter and more sibilant with digital glare (descriptions which I don’t really associate with the X1). I suspected either the switching power supply for the SFP switch might be to blame, or the SFP module. Not sure if these require burn in/break in. I use a Niagara 1200 and high end power cord for the X1, and I have a somewhat fancier Ethernet cable en route to test.

I looked at the tech specs and I can’t tell if the TrenNet SFP module  is laser diode or LED. Here’s the manufacture details

https://www.trendnet.com/products/sfp-transceiver/sfp-single-mode-lc-module-10km-TEG-MGBS10_4-v4

How can you tell which SFP modules are laser? And is my switch compatible with either type?  Willing to test a different SFP module if there is a chance mine aren’t up to snuff.

Cables: Foundation Research LC1/2 and Cardas Golden Reference AC, Acoustic Zen Absolute, Silver Ref. II and Cardas Clear and Light ICs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went back and forth comparing the optical to the Ethernet connection (using a Pangea Ethernet cable). While running direct from the modem to the SFP switch sounded better, I still come back to preferring Ethernet cable. Less glare and sibants. Maybe an LPS on the SFP switch might help?

• 3 weeks later...