IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Anyone known what will Lumin handle upsampled DSD via digital output?

By turning on the DoP option, Lumin can output DSD-over-PCM (DoP) over the BNC SPDIF digital output (some DAC accept DoP from coaxial, some do not). Doing this would mute the analogue outputs. It should apply to PCM to DSD upsampling too.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 3 weeks later...
Is the Lumin T1 a great improvment over Lumin D1 + External PSU? In my case its about 1K Eur more.

T1 is an A1 in a less expensive case, so T1 has the same dual-toroidal power supply, Lundahl LL7401 output transformers, and a dual-board design as A1 - these are absent from the D1.

There are some reviews that compared D1 to A1 (assuming sonically T1 is very close to it):

http://www.luminmusic.com/HiFi_123_Lumin_HR.pdf

StereoLife - Lumin D1

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 1 month later...
[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]Whether support of Melco N1 USB player in Lumin app is planned?[/TD]

[TD=width: 36][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

If you already own this player, see if it has a configuration option for OpenHome renderer protocol. Lumin app only works on OpenHome renderers.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Why are manufacturers so insistent on creating just iPad version of their app and not go the extra step of creating iPhone version as well? I understand the iPad experience is better but I find it an inconvenience having to switch devices all the time when I'm listening to music.

Lumin app 6.0 adds support of iPhone, in addition to iPad.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Lumin app on my iPhone 6+ no longer sees my S1. I started another thread but I guess I should have put it here.

Both my iPads see the S1 but not the iPhone. Any idea what may be going on?

Kill the app and restart it, if it does not work, proceed as follows.

If you have a 5GHz WiFi router, please use separate SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi.

Designate specific channels for 5GHz and 2.4GHz, do not use AUTO.

Set country to USA for both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

After doing these, re-establish the iPad WiFi connection to any of the two SSID (if changed), and verify your iPads can still access the Lumin.

Then connect the iPhone to the same SSID as the iPad. If it still does not work, try the other SSID. If it still does not work, reboot the iPhone. If it still does not work, reboot the WiFi router.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I saw a new firmware upgrade just a couple of days ago. I think it was 7.03. After the upgrade, my JRiver can no longer see my Lumin S1 in the network. For the first time in years, I have to use the Lumin App for playback with the Lumin and it sucks big time.

I tested JRiver MC20, it has no problem seeing Lumin S1 (running firmware 7.03). Later I'll try a different setup when I have access to it.

Meanwhile, I suggest shutting down the computer runnig JRiver, cutting power to your Lumin, rebooting your WiFi router / AP / switches (if any), waiting for 5 minutes, then powering on the Lumin and the computer again. If it does not work, check the message I sent you.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

my Lumin S1 had recovered and JRiver MC21 is working with 7.03.....as it should.

I cannot understand what had happened then but it cannot be the fault of the 7.03 firmware upgrade.

UPnP discovery of devices is not always robust in some circumstances, as it involves complex interaction among devices and even the router. Usually restarting something will help.

I also tested a different setup of Lumin T1 running firmware 7.03 with JRiver MC20, it works as expected.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 1 month later...
I have a question the cause and the answer to which eludes me. I have a Lumin S1 being fed data from a QNAP NAS via JRiver MC21.

Your case means that something in the music chain converted the DSD to PCM before sending it to S1. The math is like this:

176400 x 24 x 2 (stereo) = 8467200 bps

I've verified that on the recommended setup (i.e. using MinimServer) S1 displays DSD 5.645MHz 1 bit on the front panel.

1. In JRiver, please make sure you've enabled Bitstream DSD (DoPE), disabled all format conversion and DSP Studio.

2. Please try serving the same file from within JRiver instead of QNAP.

3. Please try installing MinimServer on QNAP, and disable its own built-in media server.

Installing MinimServer on a QNAP NAS

4. Please try using Lumin app to send the file from MinimServer running on QNAP to S1.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 2 months later...
I tried to compare the sound quality differences between inputs (Ethernet NAS drive vs. USB thumb drive). It appears that USB has slightly better imaging and dynamics. Wonder if this is what most Lumin users experiences.

Elsewhere I read several Lumin users' comments about preferring the Ethernet input to USB HDD - I think USB thumb drive and USB SSD will likely give different results.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 3 weeks later...
When I select the FLAC files to play on the Lumin nothing happens. Any ideas?

Please put the FLAC files on a USB flash drive, insert it into the Lumin USB port, then play from there. See if there's any difference.

If it still does not play from USB flash drive, please post links to one or two FLAC files you confirmed to be unplayable (assuming the music is free for download).

If it plays from the USB flash drive but not from NAS, that may be a NAS/MinimServer setup problem.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I ran in to a problem with the Lumin being able to play FLAC DXD files (24/352). I downloaded several 24/352 files from the 2L High

Resolution Test Bench site.

For Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 playback of 352kHz or 384kHz in FLAC or ALAC, please convert them to WAV (or AIFF) first, or set the UPnP server to transcode it automatically.

Lumin U1 / M1 are able to handle 352kHz or 384kHz in FLAC or ALAC natively.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi. I purchased a Lumin M1 a couple of weeks ago. Until 3 days ago the system was working perfectly streaming Qobuz (controller by Lumin app in iPhone 6). Over the last fee days nothing seems to work anymore whilst streaming Qobuz: playlist upload only partially, tracks pause in the middle, delay in executing app instructions ... Any thoughts on how to fix this? Thanks.

Please try playing music from NAS or computer running MinimServer software. If it still behaves abnormally, power off the Lumin using the hard power switch, power off everything unnecessary on your network, reboot your router, wait for a few minutes then reboot the iPhone, then turn the Lumin back on.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 2 weeks later...

Lumin released Firmware 7.09.

It adds support for the Tidal / Qobuz features in Linn Kazoo app.

Android users may try this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.linn.kazoo&hl=en

For Lumin U1 only, it also extends the feature of (optional) DSD upconversion to mp3/aac, so U1 owners with DSD-only DAC can now play all supported music formats.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 2 weeks later...
The level has been set to normal. Not sure is firmware or hardware issues. Anyway to reset lumin?

Please use the Lumin app to toggle the Volume Control, Volume (0-100), and Analog Output Level settings. Try toggling these settings and see if you can bring back the volume to normal.

There are both RCA and XLR outputs - try the other one. Do not connect both at the same time.

Also try switching the audio interconnect to another input in the pre-amp.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Somehow I disconnect and reconnect the power cable between A1 and the power supply and it is back to normal. Last time also the same scenario and resolved by doing the above.

If you suspect a possibly bad contact with the power cable, check that the cable is not abnormally hot.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Because I don't want to disconnect the XLRs every time I use the headphones, I am wondering if there are any issue with keeping the balanced outputs connected to my main preamp (which will remain powered down) when using the unbalanced outputs to drive the headphone preamp.

The official position is that the audio quality may be degraded if both balanced and unbalanced outputs are used simultaneously:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/lumin-audiophile-network-music-player-14280/index38.html#post467162

However, if one of the output is connected to a preamp that has no power, I think it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Can the Lumin S1 properly drive two loads on the balanced output via a Y-splitter without degradation assuming the load impedance is not extraordinarily low? Alternately, is there some sort of a "black box" that would all two loads to be connected?

I suspect that using a Y-splitter may be even more harmful to sound than a simultaneous connection.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead